Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Tesla hater you have run into on the road ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then there's this guy with a Model X who had a scary experience:

Tesla Trip To Hell & Back

Bruce.
I read this story yesterday. We have probably all been to a supercharger that had been “iced” but never experienced the hate this poor couple endured! I can’t wait until Tesla becomes more mainstream so maybe this incidents become less frequent.
As for me and besides the icing issue, I have never met anyone who has been a Tesla hater. Actually just the opposite. As most have tons of question in lots of compliments. Also, the occasional reving up and wanting to race.

Amen. That was my first thought. Here in Florida it is very common to move in front of a car not passing and slow it down until it moves over. Then accelerate off into the distance. For the life of me I cannot understand why troopers don't enforce the law. It causes frustration, is dangerous, lost productivity and added cost of infrastructure to not keep the left lane open unless passing. BTW...It is not "slower traffic keep right" it is keep right unless you are passing. Huge difference because every ass clown has a different idea of what fast and slow is.

Wrong presumption, actually I am on the slow lane and he passed me on the fast lane first. When I switched to the fast lane to pass the traffic in front of me, he's still 5 - 6 cars in the front but as I approached he slowed down to way below speed limit ... I never slammed the gas after I pass or gave him any look as he passed by initially.

I made the mistake of getting IH8OIL for my plates. I've been coal rolled twice and on one occasion a guy on I94 took the time to get my attention so he could show me a message he scrawled on a notebook that read "hypocrite." All I could do when I saw his flushed red face was smile smugly. That always gets em. :) Next plate will definitely be less devisive.

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV
18 months of ownership and nothing negative lots of thumbs up.

I noticed people do tailgate regularly then drop back. I've now recognised that they are nearly always just trying to read the 'Tesla' on the chrome, as they aren't sure what kind of vehicle it is. Not that many in Australia yet.

A few rare situations where ICE cars that are mostly sheep in wolf's clothing want to race me up a double on ramp. I just let them go.

My biggest complaint is the cars that pull out into traffic ahead of me thinking they have plenty of room and then I have to brake. They just don't realize how fast the Tesla accelerates and I am a conservative driver.;)

Overall, positive interactions have well exceeded 99.9% of encounters. Thousands of encounters? Yep. Easily. Hey, I like car shows, have used more than my share of SCs continent-wide, and gosh darn it, people must like me enough to come up out of the blue and start asking questions about the car. Oh, that happens to you too? :). Ain't it great.

There have been, to date, which is to say over the past 3 years, 2 cars, and getting closer to 100,000 miles collectively every day, prezactly 2.5 (yes, 2 and a half) asshats.

Asshat #1 - Oregon coast at a grocery store ChaDeMo/L2 couplet. Guy pulls in to the L2 stall with an exhaust-spewing GMC SUV. A well-signed with municipal no parking signage stall, I might add. So I politely engage the fellow in conversation and in return get an onslaught of verbal diarrhea about how the EV spaces shouldn't be there, how "you California liberals can (censored) with a rusty (censored)" (he presumed my license plates denoted where I was from), and how his tax dollars paid for my ride. In return, I may have observed that a guy driving a GM product had no room to talk about subsidies, that Reagan and Nixon were from California, and that single moms with low-range EVs relied upon spaces such as what he was taking up. He was unmoved and started to head for the entrance. I left him with, "You do know they tow here, right?". Now, understand that I've been in town maybe 5 minutes and have no idea whether they tow or not, but out of curiosity called the store manager to find out. She was awesome - asked for the license plate to page the owner. No response. She comes out a minute or two later to ensure I gave her the right plate info, and noted that she has noooooo problem calling their towing company. In her mind, EV spaces are no different than red zones and blue/disabled spaces. So off to call the towing company she went.

As an aside, a manager at a store in the same chain 50 miles downcoast also had no problem calling for a tow after being alerted to ICEing at their ChaDeMo/L2 couplet. Now that's what I'm talking about - great signage *and enforcement* when people ignore no parking signs.

Asshat #2 - Driving back from the eclipse - speed run from Idaho to Los Angeles. We're south of Vegas in the middle of nowhere when a Bentley passes us on the right, cuts in front of us, and slows abruptly to as low as 55 while weaving back and forth. Of the available choices (shooting the asshat or calling the cops), as this went on well past the point of amusement, we elected to call the cops. I'm not saying the guy was doing 130mph+ when he decided to stop weaving and took off, but he was doing 130mph+.

Asshat #2.5 - Why 0.5? First, this was in a parking lot in LA, so technically not during a road trip, and second, this guy was so full of talk radio horsesh*t as to be more comical than asshattish. Anyway, I'm walking down the lane with a friend, who introduces me to his friend. The friend immediately sticks out his hand and asks where his check is, and then proceeds to tell me how *I* owe *him* money because his taxes paid for my federal tax credit. Upon determining that he was serious, I asked him how *my* taxes earned upon the amount the car cost didn't cover the tax credit while his sorry non-federal-tax-paying-(rhymes with ass) deserved anything at all.

I don't know how many people kvetch about the tax credit thing while conveniently forgetting that roughly half the country doesn't earn enough to *pay* federal taxes *or* that the major car manufacturers and oil/gas industries are FAR more subsidized than Tesla will ever be. But evidently there are at least 1.5 asshats who have.

In the spirit of equal time, a few of the positive examples that come to mind:

At the crack of dawn in the middle of Indiana, a family crosses the road from a breakfast joint to ask if they can have their picture taken in front of my car. Nicest people ever. They'd never seen a Tesla before.

At a grocery store on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, a fellow asked a bunch of questions and then as a thank you, gave me a small keyring-sized wooden guitar he'd brought back from Mexico.

The owners unaware of pairing at SCs who, upon arrival, graciously move over a stall (when available) so they don't slow down either my charge or theirs.

The property management fellow at the Centralia SC who maintains the clean water and squeegee in a bucket *and* who voluntarily stained/sealed the exterior wood enclosure (for the SC equipment) because he didn't think the original install had the right/enough coating to protect the wood.

And that doesn't even begin to touch upon the car show folks, fellow travelers, and industry/government types I've encountered along the way.

Even the trucker brothers from Oklahoma who almost ICED the entire SC (it's small but still) at midnightish at... Needles I believe, were great once you got to know them. They didn't know an SC from a box of rocks but definitely saw the future coming. Bet they loved the Semi presentation.

Occasionally, drivers following me get annoyed with the brake lights coming on during regen braking. I think they misinterpret the brake lights coming on as a sign of "back off." Of course, this is not the case.

Also I've experienced some hostility from drivers in big diesel trucks and 4x4's. I think some of them are used to blowing people off the road with the loud sound, speed and smoke.

I have had no incidents that seem related to Tesla.

In Wyoming a fully decked out F350 stopped to ask if Tesla was... "as fast as they say?". I gave him a ride. Maybe a convert?
In North Carolina an old woman asked if Superchargers were gas pumps.
In western Ontario an enthusiastic family asked if I'd driven all the way from Florida.

unpleasant experiences? Nary one including driving through fracking areas and others not seemingly predisposed to BEV's.