Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many test drives can you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so apparently I can’t do anymore test drives because I’ve done 4 test drives and this would be the 5th. There is a test drive cap limit? I did 3 last year with the 2021 model and only 1 with the 2022 model. Anyone face the same issue? Not sure why it matters to Tesla how many test drives I do?

I have one purchased and will get it in June - July so was wanting to get as much experience with it as possible because I would do a long trip soon after I get the car.

Well, you have one purchased... why would you need test drive? Your decision is made. Test drives are to help in the buying decision. IF you want to drive one before you get yours, consider renting one somewhere.
well its not like i was going every weekend. why does it matter to them? My decision can always change. i can cancel and get another car. i've test drove the ionic after placing the order and will be test driving the polstar 2 also. no decision is final until you pick up the car.

to me it shouldn't matter as long as you are doing one every weekend or something. if its once a month for 30 mins or so, whats the big deal?

Possible explanations: You're taking the place of someone else who might need to try the car before they buy. You're possibly occupying a rep who would otherwise talk to another potential buyer. Tesla are not a free drive company, test drives are for serious potential buyers. On top of all that, you're putting miles on a car for not much more than a fun ride. More, every mile you drive their car is a mile they insure so it bumps up their risk. I'm sure there are other reasons but hopefully you find some interesting in there.
Again, since you've already test-driven it and liked it enough to buy one, why would they give you the keys for another fun drive?

It's funny that they count and stop at five. If it were me, it would stop at one, maybeee two in exceptional circumstances. :) But hey, it's not me.

Now you don't need to accept my potential reasons, you can ask them and post back their answer here. I'd be curious to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: theocguy
It's people like you that caused "Caution HOT" to now have to be printed on coffee cups. What seem like unnecessary rules, limitations and disclaimers to the majority are eye openers to those who don't know hot coffee burns or expect unlimited test drives on a vehicle after they've already purchased it.

It's people like you that caused "Caution HOT" to now have to be printed on coffee cups. What seem like unnecessary rules, limitations and disclaimers to the majority are eye openers to those who don't know hot coffee burns or expect unlimited test drives on a vehicle after they've already purchased it.
Purchased but not received. It’s not like other car company where I drive the car off the lot. If I had the car already then no need for test drive. If they are going to take 6 months plus for delivery then should absolutely allow more test drive. It’s not like I’m asking for one every day or every weekend. It’s like once a month. Plus with tesla changing things on the fly due to agile development practice how do we know that the new update is a deal breaker until you get the car? For example the infotainment changed significantly with v11.

Either way it’s all 1st world problems.

Reactions: Corndart
Purchased but not received. It’s not like other car company where I drive the car off the lot. If I had the car already then no need for test drive. If they are going to take 6 months plus for delivery then should absolutely allow more test drive. It’s not like I’m asking for one every day or every weekend. It’s like once a month. Plus with tesla changing things on the fly due to agile development practice how do we know that the new update is a deal breaker until you get the car? For example the infotainment changed significantly with v11.

You test drive a car prior to purchasing. You test drove and purchased. The point of a test drive is over.

You test drive a car prior to purchasing. You test drove and purchased. The point o
I test drove a car, the car hasn't been delivered. Thus the car I test drove is not the same car that I'll be getting especially with agile development process here. So why not allow multiple test drives? again, its not like i'm asking daily or weekly to test drive it. i ordered in oct 22 and its march with delivery into june-july.

so apparently I can’t do anymore test drives because I’ve done 4 test drives and this would be the 5th. There is a test drive cap limit? I did 3 last year with the 2021 model and only 1 with the 2022 model. Anyone face the same issue? Not sure why it matters to Tesla how many test drives I do?

I have one purchased and will get it in June - July so was wanting to get as much experience with it as possible because I would do a long trip soon after I get the car.
Go rent one on Turo if you’re that concerned about getting quality time with it prior to delivery.

Reactions: SilverSp33d3r

Right, when I was handed another delay. I wanted to go there and try to justify cancelling and buying something else in stock or used.

well its not like i was going every weekend. why does it matter to them? My decision can always change. i can cancel and get another car. i've test drove the ionic after placing the order and will be test driving the polstar 2 also. no decision is final until you pick up the car.

to me it shouldn't matter as long as you are doing one every weekend or something. if its once a month for 30 mins or so, whats the big deal?
are you trying to test different configurations and model (other than the color)?
I guess you can just go around different showrooms to test drive and give them some burner email address or so.

You can ask the SA in the showroom to see what limits they would impose? However, comments like "it's not like I was going every weekend. why does it matter to them" seems pretty self-center. anyway.

What exactly is your purpose of doing multiple test drive? like getting free car to drive for 30-40 mins? you can do your "final" test drive before taking the delivery. if you do not like it, reject the delivery.

i feel like you are just trying to milk their free test drive out of your benefit.
Lookout, theocguy is on the job tonight.

67hrl3.jpg