TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How much battery is lost when car is parked for long periods?

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by DianeL, Sep 17, 2018.

1. DianeL

DianeL Member

Anyone left their car for an extended period of time without charging?
    Can the model 3 Long Range be left parked for 70 days without charging it?
    Will there still be battery to start it and move it to a charger?

2. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

Probably.... but you can't even find a 120v outlet?

3. IdaX

IdaX Member

The one way to kill a Tesla battery is to run it down to 0 and leave it that way for months. I've had pretty serious vampire drain on the model 3 of a couple percent per day.

I'm with nwdiver tho: can't you plug it into a wall outlet somewhere?

• Disagree x 1
  4. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

I dont think 70 days will last? Hope you have a garage? Plug it in.

5. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

Not only would I not recommend doing that for a Tesla, I wouldn't recommend doing it with any car. 70 days is a long time and most every car has parasitic drains on the battery, even fuels can start to be questionable at that duration.

6. DianeL

DianeL Member

I could plug it in, but was going to move it to the part of the garage without power for a variety of convenience reasons.
    Guess I will leave it where it is so I can plug it in. I was thinking about setting the charge level to half (150 miles) and have it charge nightly after it gets that low. Thoughts?
    I've never left it that long before so I'm feeling a little clueless. Tried to call Tesla, but was put on hold for an hour twice and gave up.

7. animorph

animorph Active Member

50% charge should be ideal for long-term storage. Leave it plugged in to your normal charger or even a 120V 15A connection would be fine if the weather is not going to be freezing. The car will only actively charge when it is about 3% lower than the charge limit. No need to schedule a nightly charge unless your electric rate is cheaper at night.

When left alone and allowed to sleep I would expect to lose less than 1% per day. So it should be able to make it through 70 days without a charge if you start at 80% or 90%. But you just never know.

• Helpful x 3
  8. DianeL

DianeL Member

THANKS SO MUCH! Exactly the info I was looking for!!!
    No worry for freezing weather here. More likely to be too hot than too cold.
    I can plug it into a 120V and still move it to the other side of the garage. I'll charge to 90% and then reset it to 50. We'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

9. e-BOB

e-BOB New Member

Hi,

My P85D drains about 1% a day.

Does anyone know usable KW of a P85D?
    Mine stops at 65,5KW.
    20KW less, isn’t that too much loss?

10. e-BOB

e-BOB New Member

Here is the pic

Attached Files: