Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much brake fluid do I need to bleed/flush?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, I have M3LR, Castrol SRF 1000ml, 4x Steel Braided Brake Lines and I want to know do I need more brake fluid or 1l is enough?

I can't find the information about HOW MUCH brake fluid do I need to completely bleed/flush the whole system and replace with the new fluid. Like tesla.com says it is 975 ml, but I bet it is for dry system.

Unfortunately, Castrol SRF is selling only in 1l bottles.

Thanks in advance

Guys, I have M3LR, Castrol SRF 1000ml, 4x Steel Braided Brake Lines and I want to know do I need more brake fluid or 1l is enough?

I can't find the information about HOW MUCH brake fluid do I need to completely bleed/flush the whole system and replace with the new fluid. Like tesla.com says it is 975 ml, but I bet it is for dry system.

Thanks in advance
Watch for the color change from the old to new fluid.

In the service menu there's an option to flush the ABS pump. Doing that might take you over 1l.
When I've changed mine, the colour difference between old and new fluid hasn't been enough to clearly see when new fluid is coming through, so I've ended up using at least 1.5l just to make sure.

While 1 liter of Castrol SRF might seem like a lot, it's usually enough for a complete brake fluid flush on a Tesla Model 3 LR, especially if you're replacing the brake lines as well. However, it's always a good idea to have a little extra on hand just in case of spills or unexpected needs during the process.

Reactions: zoomer0056
1L should easily be more than enough.

It's 1L if you have 2 liter bottles on hand.
2L if you only have 1 bottle on hand.

Murphy's Law.

I can't find the information about HOW MUCH brake fluid do I need to completely bleed/flush the whole system and replace with the new fluid.

How "fully" do you intend to bleed/flush the system?
Activating ABS pump to flush it? Just pressure bleeding the lines?
The latter is likely to be under 1L. The former - who knows, none of us do that at home!

True, but you can buy 2 bottles, and save one for the next brake fluid flush (annually if you track the car, every 2-3 years otherwise). Disregard the silly advise Tesla gives about "testing" fluid, if you want to have brakes when you need them.

Watch for the color change from the old to new fluid.

Unless your old fluid is heavily contaminated (unlikely, but not impossible), or you are switching between brake fluids with different color pigments (harder and harder to find), watching for when new fluids arrives by color shift or presence of bubbles may be a challenge.
Rear brake lines are longer, and will take more fluid to flush. You may have to estimate how much fluid it takes, or watch your fill reservoir consumption rate (if using transparent pressure bleeder). Like this one:

BTW, I found that Tesla's brake fluid cap is identical to that of GM.

HTH,
a

Reactions: Gtech