Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much did you pay for wall charger install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing $400-500 price quotes on a couple ads on OfferUp

Is that about right?

Anybody know a good electrician in Temecula/San Diego area?

If I knew an electrician that worked that cheap in Los Angeles I would call the today to do a ton of different jobs at my LA house.

Plumbers in the area these days are $200+/hr due to massive country wide shortages of qualified employees. Companies keep having to raise their salaries just to hired or keep employees.

It still surprises me that the NEMA 14-50 is still the most common outlet installed when the EV does not use the neutral. So it's an extra expense for the wire plus for the outlet and more labor to connect it all. I installed two NEMA 6-50's in my garage and have Gen1 EVSE's plugged into them. Pretty easy. I did not get any rebates though.

I installed two NEMA 6-50's in my garage and have Gen1 EVSE's plugged into them. Pretty easy. I did not get any rebates though.

This seems like a fair idea for my 60’s era LA house which is two wire, not 3 wire. That includes the 30A dryer outlet in the garage.

My panel is on the opposite side from the garage and I want to put in two 50A and another outlet to switch my gas tank water heater over to an electric tankless. The 50A run which in itself is expensive; one less wire would be cheaper.

Likewise I would love to run say a 200A over to the garage, put in a sub panel, and transfer switch with generator input tie in to the main panel.

This is a lot of money for what current LA electricians are charging. Let alone the cost of cooper wire these days.

Last edited:
You may want to try one 50A 6-50 in a central location. We have found we can charge our Model 3 and Y on 10A each and never have a problem. The Tesla Gen 2 EVSE can only support 32A anyway. I have two Gen 1's (used) but never use them for 40A. So one 6-50 located where a Gen 1 (longer cord) can reach both cars may work fine.

I just had 75 feet of 6/3 Romex ran from my panel to my attached garage. I was out of breaker slots, so it also required a tandem breaker to make room for the new 60-amp. The wire had to be fished through existing smurf tube and ran across the attic and then down into a garage closet inside conduit. Due to unavailability of Wall Connectors, I had him leave the wires hanging out of a conduit stub so I can finish wiring it when it arrives later this week. I can't believe these aren't in stock at the Fremont Sales office for purchase when you are picking your vehicle up at the factory! I paid the electrician $600 in materials and $500 in labor and am very happy with the work that was performed.

You only need to pay for 6/2 if you are hooking up an EV charger (EVSE), it's about 1/3rd cheaper. If you are wiring in a NEMA 14-50 you will want the neutral line too. I did the install myself so it was just the $60 cost of the breaker and the $100+ for the 40' cable

Last edited: