Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much did you pay for wall charger install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did it in Houston, Texas, and it was $1K -- however, my Circuit Breaker was across a 3 car garage -- so they ran it up into the attic, across 3 cars, down the wall, all in conduit, and it was 60A. So I think it varies a lot the amperage and distance -- and it'll go up if you don't have an open breaker in your box.

That seems really cheap for California.

Yeah, I think it's just a matter of competition with so many electricians and so many Tesla's on the road in this area...It's amazing to see such a young car company just grow so fast and take over so quickly.

Yelp is another great tool for competitive prices...just type in what you need and get multiple quotes within minutes sometimes

I paid $600 for the NEMA 14-50 install in our home garage in 2018, fortunately I got $500 back from the local power company.
I paid $500 for the Power Wall that I installed myself at our cabin in 2018, fortunately I got $500 back from PG&E

rebates are the best

About to put a couple 5kWh rolling battery packs and a sub panel to dole out the power in the garage, $6000 up front.
Hope I find a rebate for them too

$0.00. I’m an electrician, so all that it costed me was the material - which I had plenty extra of.

Paying an Electrician to install a Wall Charger is not a bad idea and most electricians will charge a fair rate. Get multiple estimates and never get a “handyman” to do it. Make sure this person is licensed/insured!

But, you’d be surprised how often I get calls from friends or neighbors who need an electrician.
Before you search for one online, try asking a friend. Most Electricians will charge a lot less if they are referred. I’ve always given a much better price to those individuals.

After installing hundreds of Wall Chargers it’s become very second nature. Most newer homes (especially track homes in gated communities) have practically the same situation and are even partially prepped for a 240v connection in the garage. Some gated communities have hundreds of homes but realistically, they only have about 10-12 designs and are either very similar or mirrored versions of the other homes.

Nowadays the only big money I make on Wall Chargers is when I have to work on a much older house and have to actually engineer a plan or include a sub-panel etc..

Reactions: Silicon Desert
$0.00. I’m an electrician, so all that it costed me was the material - which I had plenty extra of.

Paying an Electrician to install a Wall Charger is not a bad idea and most electricians will charge a fair rate. Get multiple estimates and never get a “handyman” to do it. Make sure this person is licensed/insured!

But, you’d be surprised how often I get calls from friends or neighbors who need an electrician.
Before you search for one online, try asking a friend. Most Electricians will charge a lot less if they are referred. I’ve always given a much better price to those individuals.

After installing hundreds of Wall Chargers it’s become very second nature. Most newer homes (especially track homes in gated communities) have practically the same situation and are even partially prepped for a 240v connection in the garage. Some gated communities have hundreds of homes but realistically, they only have about 10-12 designs and are either very similar or mirrored versions of the other homes.

Nowadays the only big money I make on Wall Chargers is when I have to work on a much older house and have to actually engineer a plan or include a sub-panel etc..
yeah, I found a lic/insured electrician from a referral from a friend who has two Tesla's who is coming out Monday morning for $425

My home is about 17 years old(original owner) track home so it should be simple job for a professional. 👍

I feel like there's a secret EV tax. Was quoted substantially more for a 50 amp wall outlet I mentioned was being used to charge my car vs the same outlet for my welder.

Did you say Tesla at any time or just EV? The Tesla tax is very real, the EV tax, if there any should be lower.
I think "Tesla Tax" is much lower now. When we first got the Model X, all Tesla were about $100K or more since it was before Model 3. Now the lease in California for Model 3 is $350/month which is even lower than a Toyota Camry's.

When we first install the NEMA 14-50 outlet of the X, we were told we should get quotes for RV outlet to avoid the Tesla Tax. I called one of the "Tesla Approved Electrician" and he quoted $800. I then contacted a local electrician in my city for a RV outlet. It was $250. I ended up paying like $320 because he said he need to purchase a larger breaker or something.

I feel like there's a secret EV tax. Was quoted substantially more for a 50 amp wall outlet I mentioned was being used to charge my car vs the same outlet for my welder.
I get what you’re saying.. it’s not a “secret”. But.. if you tell a venue that your event is a wedding as supposed to a birthday party they will raise the fee substantially. If you tell a florist that your flowers are for a wedding as supposed to a graduation, they will raise their fee substantially.

I personally don’t charge an “EV tax”. But if the work required is more intensive due to it being for an EV then that’s how it goes.

I think "Tesla Tax" is much lower now. When we first got the Model X, all Tesla were about $100K or more since it was before Model 3. Now the lease in California for Model 3 is $350/month which is even lower than a Toyota Camry's.

When we first install the NEMA 14-50 outlet of the X, we were told we should get quotes for RV outlet to avoid the Tesla Tax. I called one of the "Tesla Approved Electrician" and he quoted $800. I then contacted a local electrician in my city for a RV outlet. It was $250. I ended up paying like $320 because he said he need to purchase a larger breaker or something.
There are many factors that go into pricing.. it’s not a special fee for Tesla just to be clear. Any electrician worth his or her salt will know right away what they are there for based on the questions you answer and saying it’s for an RV as supposed to a non-wall unit (just a NEMA install) wouldn’t “fool” anybody. An RV outlet is typically only 30 amps and you get what you pay for. So if you needed a 50 amp NEMA (and it’s associated higher rated breaker) you would instead be paying more.. not because it’s a “Tesla tax” but because the parts you are requiring are more expensive the labor needed to install them may be more involved. Dang, not every election is a snake.

Reactions: Russell
An RV is a NEMA 14-50 (same as an EV) or a 120 volt TT-30

NEMA 14-30 (240 volt, 30 amp) is for a dryer (although you could charge an EV with that too)
Typically, most RVs have historically called for only a 30a installation. You could use a wide range nowadays, and yes, some do use a 50a set up “just like EVs” as you posted. But, this is more recent, and slowly becoming more common. Go to an RV park, they all still have N14-30 receptacles.
As far as “NEMA 14-30 is for dryers” is not always the case. NEMA receptacles are just a platform.. you could use a wide range of devices with a wide range of NEMA fittings. It varies on the application and every situation can be different.

Point being… Electricians are there to do a job and make money for their work. Most are honest. But some will try to gouge a Tesla owner because they pull up to a multi-million dollar home, with a $100,000 car. Here is Southern California, there are a lot of these pairings.. most of the time it’s the stay-at-home wife with a blank check to write and money isn’t an object - dishonest electricians have taken advantage of that.

There are many factors that go into pricing.. it’s not a special fee for Tesla just to be clear. Any electrician worth his or her salt will know right away what they are there for based on the questions you answer and saying it’s for an RV as supposed to a non-wall unit (just a NEMA install) wouldn’t “fool” anybody. An RV outlet is typically only 30 amps and you get what you pay for. So if you needed a 50 amp NEMA (and it’s associated higher rated breaker) you would instead be paying more.. not because it’s a “Tesla tax” but because the parts you are requiring are more expensive the labor needed to install them may be more involved. Dang, not every election is a snake.
When I called the Tesla authorized electrician, he quoted $800 for a NEMA 14-50 outlet. When I call the local electrician, I told him it was a NEMA 14-50 outlet for a RV. I am not installing a "wall connector" so not fooling anyone. Yeah not every electrician is a snake, my local one was nice. The one listed under Tesla's authorized electricians were more questionable.

That seems really cheap for California.
@M3_Performante, unfortunately EV PROs doesn't service your area but I paid $500 for my Tesla wall connector install with permit. But my install was easy, install directly behind my breaker box and plenty of capacity\space on my existing 200 amp panel.

Browse through Yelp and find an electrician with good reviews that services your area.

@M3_Performante, unfortunately EV PROs doesn't service your area but I paid $500 for my Tesla wall connector install with permit. But my install was easy, install directly behind my breaker box and plenty of capacity\space on my existing 200 amp panel.

Browse through Yelp and find an electrician with good reviews that services your area.

Thanks
Yeah, found Cali Coast Electric and they came out yesterday morning and did a nice clean install for $425

Reactions: chobra