Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much do you pay for auto insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just changed carriers TODAY! $93.75/month with Safeco. 100/300/100. $500 ded but $0 ded in glass (cause, MX glass ain’t cheap). Also includes OEM new replacement (no junkyard or refurb).

43, no tickets or accidents since I was 18. A+ credit. Also have the wife’s Mazda 6 insured as well as our blouse. So my price probably has some multi line discounts involved.

how much do you pay total?

I called nearly every insurance company in my area. Small and big corporate ones.

I got the best deal at $218 a month basically $1,290 premium for 100/300/100 with $1k deductible.

Once My DUI goes off my record in after December I should get a better deal. Other insurance companies were quoting me $400-500 and that's as much as my car payment

That's an entirely different stratosphere of comparison. I have seen people with DUIs pay as high as $600/month.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I'm 30 and mine is around $350 per 6 months. Came down on its own from ~$500/6mo when I first got the car. $1k collision, $100 comprehensive deductibles, all the normal coverage and includes rental cars which I never included in the past. No moving violations in about 8+ years now.

how much do you pay total?

I called nearly every insurance company in my area. Small and big corporate ones.

I got the best deal at $218 a month basically $1,290 premium for 100/300/100 with $1k deductible.

Once My DUI goes off my record in after December I should get a better deal. Other insurance companies were quoting me $400-500 and that's as much as my car payment

Pay about $570 6 months after covid-19 discount, before it was about $720

100/300, $1k deductable/$500 comp deductable

Last edited:
In Illinois I pay $302 every 6 months for 2020 M3 LR AWD.

Coverage highlights Limits
Bodily Injury Limits $250,000/$500,000
Property Damage Limit $100,000
Medical and Funeral Services Payments $10,000
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury Limits
$250,000/$500,000

I suspect (having not read the whole thread), that I've got the highest since the car is in BC (lunatic monopoly insurance regime) and I'm a non-resident, driving on a UK driving licence. North of CAD 8,000 per annum is the current rate. What's especially galling is that my 911 in the UK is £731, or approximately CAD 1,300, on the same terms more-or-less. Doubly-galling: I'm stuck in the UK due to covid/lack of residency. Permanent Residency process has taken waaayyyy too long. (50 year old programmer, no issues of any kind for last 20 years+, garaged, tracker on the Porsche)

how ....and with who?

Geico. I checked with about 5 providers and Geico, Liberty Mutual, and Progressive were mostly around the same price. Geico was a hair cheaper so I went with them.

I recommend others to play around with the calculators on these sites. Normally I'd go with same comprehensive deductible as collision but when I dropped it down to $100 my rate was only maybe $20 more every 6 months so was worth the trade off from potentially hitting deers, vandalism, etc.

Last edited:
My insurance actually dropped from 2500/6mon to 2096/6mons. 1st price was when I purchased the car and 2100 was the next half of the year. However I am only 23 years old. The quote for 2500/6mon was also when I was 22 so I'm not sure if it made much difference. However we did get a 15% credit for GEICO due to covid.

This pricing is for NYC LR AWD - 1st car I've purchased and had insurance by myself. Got license for 6 years + CDL. No tickets.

Policy Info Below, Couldn't edit previous comments.

For Others
The below coverages pay out to other parties if the accident is your fault.
Bodily Injury Liability ?

$462.80
$300,000 per person/$500,000 per occurrence
Pays if you are responsible for another person's injury or death in an auto accident. It also pays for your legal defense.
Property Damage Liability ?

$246.00
$100,000 per occurrence
Pays if you are responsible for damage to another person's property.
For You
The below coverages pay out to you and your passengers.
Basic Personal Injury Protection ?

$268.00
Basic Non-Deductible
Covers you, your family, and your passengers if they are injured in an accident, regardless of fault. Some exclusions may apply.
Additional Personal Injury Protection ?

$12.60
$100,000/$2,000 WL
An option that allows you to increase your Personal Injury Protection.
Residual Medical Payments ?

$1.30
$10,000 per person
Pays medical expenses such as surgery, x-rays, ambulance, and physicians, regardless of who was at fault.
Uninsured Motorist - Supplementary Uninsured Motorist ?

$108.40
$300,000 per person/$500,000 per occurrence
Pays for injuries caused by an uninsured, underinsured or hit-and-run motorist.

Tesla insurance. $150/month

the cheapest I could find. No accidents, no speeding tickets, nada, clean record.

I see we are in the same geographic area. If you're driving less due to covid, you should call Tesla Ins and lower your mileage usage for cheaper rates. You're paying 50-60$ more than me for the same area.. but perhaps its due to LA County? Doesn't hurt to try.

Reactions: Noodles
I wish people would understand this. It is almost meaningless asking what people pay when you have no idea of the things you mentioned. When I turned 25 my insurance went down 25% then 6 mo. later I moved and it went up 30%. Same coverage and same car.

My advice is always to get quotes from every insurance company imaginable and compare those. That way you are getting data for your specific situation.
The warnings about apples to oranges comparisons is spot on. I have also read that car insurance companies create mini-pools composed of 'like' drivers and cars per locale. An expensive repair or 3 may be enough to raise rates for everybody in the mini-pool.

I think a better approach (although not a great one) is to compare insuring a Tesla with a person's other cars. That removes a lot of variables. Our policy covers a 60 and 62 year old in Albuquerque. Homeowners, no dings on record, no claims on record. 800+ credit rating

So e.g, I own a 2013 LEAF and a 2018 Model 3 LR. Per 6 months, I pay Progressive
Uninsured motorist
$94

500k liability
Tesla -- $117
LEAF -- $154

Comp with $500 Deductible, $50 glass
Tesla -- $37

Collision with $500 Deductible
Tesla -- $120

---
Isn't it interesting that Tesla liability is 3/4 that of a LEAF ?
I just went into my policy and asked for a quote that included the same comp and collision on the LEAF as I have on the Tesla. It worked out to an extra $157 per 6 months -- the same cost as the Tesla. Now *that* is surprising.

Last edited:
I see we are in the same geographic area. If you're driving less due to covid, you should call Tesla Ins and lower your mileage usage for cheaper rates. You're paying 50-60$ more than me for the same area.. but perhaps its due to LA County? Doesn't hurt to try.
THANK YOU for replying to me.

you just reminded me to call tesla insurance. there's 30 mins left before they close for the weekend :)

Updated to my new adress (I only live 4 miles away from work)
adjusted the amount of driving I do

previously $155.20/month now it's $70.12/month
That's almost a $1000/year in savings without changing the amount of coverage

haha yes ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: calidreamz808
Here are my quotes... all requested with the same coverage for 6 months.

Liberty Mutual Insurance $804 online, but $1475 agent quote on phone.
mercury $775
progressive $810
esurance $870
geico $993
ameriprise (Costco) $994
metlife $978
amica $1099
travelers $1158
statefarm $1212
farmers $1386
safeco $1434
general auto $1968