Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much do you pay for auto insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too bloody much, courtesy of all the insurance companies playing "put your fist in all the way to the elbow" with California customers for no apparent reason. Was nice and cheap for the first year and a half or so, and then the rates skyrocketed about a year back (no accidents, no tickets, etc). Which reminds me, it's probably about time to requote and see if I can fire AAA yet for overcharging.

In Ohio I pay around $350/6 months and have more than the state minimum. Plus I use the car for business and that is a little extra as well. But then I get a discount too for having home owners through them.

$610 / 6 months with $500k liability coverage & $500 deductible. Also use for business which costs a bit more. Also have a teenage boy on my policy which makes everything more expensive.

In addition to above variables I have found location has a huge impact. We just moved to Charleston from Atlanta and the same coverage, same company, same cars, same drivers here is significantly less than Atlanta. In general I think the larger the Metro area, the higher the cost of coverage, but that’s more of an educated swag on my part.

$318/6 mo with State Farm. I'm in Iowa, full coverage with $0 deductible on comprehensive and $250 deductible on collision.

I'm a 40 year old married male, no at-fault accidents on my record and one moving violation, recorded in 2000. I have two other cars insured with them along with a house. I've made a few claims over the past 10 years but for relatively minor things (rock chip in the front roof panel, a not-at-fault accident in 2010 where the other driver was uninsured cost about $2,000 to repair and a rock chip in windshield of a previous car fixed by Safelite).

I've had my M3 for about a month now and was curious to know how much everyone pays for auto insurance for their car? I pay about $547 every 6 months and didn't know if that seemed "high" or not.

For my Model 3, I am paying $239/6 mo (Progressive). 500 deductible collision, 250 deductible comprehensive (I used to carry zero deductible comp, but changed that to save a few bucks).

But both my wife and I are retired. It is important to include your basic demographic information. Single, male, age 26, is not the same as married and 67. Insurance companies know this. Actually I was surprised at how reasonable insurance costs are for Teslas in general. I am guessing this is because the automation and safety features really work..

Already a bunch of threads on this.

Mostly all of them can be summed up as:

Price of insurance varies massively based on a lot of different factors potentially but not exhaustively including:

Your state
Your location within the state (down to sometimes zip+4)
Your credit score
Your driving history
Your age
Specifics of your vehicle (and other vehicles)
Specifics of your type and amount of driving
Specifics of your spouses credit score and/or driving history
Existence of any kids that drive in your household
Specifics of coverage (totals, deductibles, etc)

Down to the point comparison threads are basically a waste of time because virtually nobody in em is comparing apples to apples and you'll get posts like "I pay $6 every 12 years" followed by "I pay $9000 every 20 minutes" and everything in between.

Underwriters price insurance based on an estimate of the cost of providing coverage.

Everybody understands that if you drive an expensive car, insurance is more expensive because the payout is more in a major accident.

What most people don't understand is that's only part of it. Risk analysis is also about your sex, age, occupation, driving history, marital status, income, credit rating and if you have any kids of driving age. And most especially, your zip code.

It is impossible to compare rates because there are so many variables. There's at least a 5x swing in premiums between owners seen as very safe and owners seen as very risky, based on these factors. This is a common complaint online, mostly from young, single men who live in urban zip codes who are unhappy about high premiums. I pay about $100/month. Some pay less, some pay more.

Already a bunch of threads on this.

Mostly all of them can be summed up as:

Price of insurance varies massively based on a lot of different factors potentially but not exhaustively including:

Your state
Your location within the state (down to sometimes zip+4)
Your credit score
Your driving history
Your age
Specifics of your vehicle (and other vehicles)
Specifics of your type and amount of driving
Specifics of your spouses credit score and/or driving history
Existence of any kids that drive in your household
Specifics of coverage (totals, deductibles, etc)

Down to the point comparison threads are basically a waste of time because virtually nobody in em is comparing apples to apples and you'll get posts like "I pay $6 every 12 years" followed by "I pay $9000 every 20 minutes" and everything in between.

I wish people would understand this. It is almost meaningless asking what people pay when you have no idea of the things you mentioned. When I turned 25 my insurance went down 25% then 6 mo. later I moved and it went up 30%. Same coverage and same car.

My advice is always to get quotes from every insurance company imaginable and compare those. That way you are getting data for your specific situation.