Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does supercharging cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much is being made right now of the free supercharging for life deal on a new Tesla. For those of you who didn't get this deal, how much does it cost to supercharge? I know it is based on the electricity rates where you are charging. But I'm trying to get an idea of how much a person spends per month/year/trip on supercharging? How much value is in this promotion?

My nearest supercharger is about 10 miles away. I would plan to charge at home most of the time but supercharge for road trips. I have taken long road trips in the past, as much as 3000-5000 miles but typically take long drives on pleasant weekends.

Thanks for any info.

It takes about $15 to fill up my S100D from 20% to 90%. On a road trip from SF to vegas and back I spend about $40 in supercharging fees on our model 3. Imo free supercharging for most customers isn’t worth more than a few grand over the lifetime of the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
I believe that you may have saved that much in Supercharger cost ( although I have some doubts) but it would have been way less in home charging.
I'm currently paying about 3 cents per mile and less in winter for home charging.

I have 210k miles on my car and the majority of these miles were done on road trips using superchargers. You can't use your home electricity rate for doing the math. Home charging isn't an option on road trips. The price per kWh at public fast chargers is between 25 and 50 ct per kWh. Also, the car kind of lies to you about the energy consumption. What the car shows is only energy taken from the battery, not how much electricity it took to charge the battery. Charger losses, wiring losses, vampire drain, AC use while the car is parked, battery efficiency, all of these things are not accounted for in Tesla's energy consumption shown on the dash board.

Free supercharging is a psychological benefit, not a financial one, for almost everyone.

Yep; If you're using it as intended you're not going to save much. If you're not using it as intended then it can be worth it but that's wholly unsustainable and likely a prime reason Tesla nixed it....

I would have preferred seeing them simply eliminate free supercharging <XX miles of where your car sleeps...