Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much faster do your rear tires wear than your fronts in staggered set up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like, are your rears at 2/32 or less when your fronts are around 5 or 6/32 given they all started at 10/32? This is chiefly regarding the 21" Tesla staggered turbines and I want an idea on when I should start planning on buying a rear set. Thanks ladies and fellas.

Just replaced my rear 265/35/21 tires on my S75 rear-drive (with coil springs) a month ago at 25,300 miles. Rears were 2/32" at the wear bars. The original 245/35/21 fronts are holding up at 6/32". Alignment within specs. Since rears are wearing about 2x faster than the fronts, looks like I'll need a full set of tires nearing 50,000 miles. Keep in mind that coil spring cars run about -1.1 to -1.3° rear camber while the air cars run -1.5° to -2.0°. Translation: rear 21s on air cars can wear out faster, especially if set mostly to Low.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL and Mickie
Just replaced my rear 265/35/21 tires on my S75 rear-drive (with coil springs) a month ago at 25,300 miles. Rears were 2/32" at the wear bars. The original 245/35/21 fronts are holding up at 6/32". Alignment within specs. Since rears are wearing about 2x faster than the fronts, looks like I'll need a full set of tires nearing 50,000 miles. Keep in mind that coil spring cars run about -1.1 to -1.3° rear camber while the air cars run -1.5° to -2.0°. Translation: rear 21s on air cars can wear out faster, especially if set mostly to Low.
Actually surprised yours held up that long with the stories of people roasting theirs at 5-8k miles.

I suppose a D car may see a bit more wear from the fronts than a RWD, but it looks all things considered I'll probably have a similar issue to yours.

Fronts were replaced halfway through due to road damage.
Oh God, you too?! Such a disturbing trend..

Maybe I should've just asked this in the opener, but if fronts are at 7/32 and my rears are between 5-6/32, should I pick up a set of rear PS2s now in anticipation? I figure with the PS2s being discontinued, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a set of rear PS2s now so by time the fronts are hitting 2/32s, so will the second set of rears and the PS2s can then all go out at the same time. Then after I'll do a set of PSSs or whatever's new or good at the time.