Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much for full Vinyl Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only reason I would PPF the whole car is just so I could go through a normal (high-end, not gas station) car wash with brushes.

I did that one time with my red Model 3, and I ended up spending an entire day machine polishing out the fine scratches that made it look like it was covered in spider webs. Now I hand wash with rinseless wash, unfortunately. If you plan to own the car for 5 years, being able to drive through wash it every week without fear of damaging the paint starts to look worth it.

@2101Guy , just saw your post. Thx so much. It makes me feel better about my decision "not doing it" :). Thank you! :)

PPF simply isnt a great value, is my opinion. GREAT product, but overall, cost benefit isnt where I need it to be when I consider:
- I sell my cars privately after I use them. And I never had lost a sale/gotten less than top dollar due to anything associated with stone chips up front. Even trade in value/lease return terms considers stone chips as normal use. Id never get back thousands of dollars at sale time for old PPF.
- One of the cars I sold a couple years ago was a 2003 BMW 540 in great shape except for a cracked front bumper cover. I bought a used one from ebay and had it painted at Maaco (excellent job for something that small, and they use PPG. Probably wouldnt have them do the whole car) for all less than what PPF would have cost to cover the bumper. Nevermind PPF would not have prevented the crack in it. IN the end, sold it with a perfect new front bumper.
-PPF isnt a steel shield. If you check forums/youtube, youll find that some rock chips will make it through, enough to cause a tear in the PPF that wont self heal. Might be a very minute tear, but its still visible....just like a small chip in the paint. Only difference? Cant touch up the small nick in the PPF but yet you still have the visibile detraction. Unless you replace the entire sheet of PPF on the hood....
-Does PPF protect against bird poop and the like? Yes. But so does a GOOD coat of wax/sealant/ceramic. For a fraction of the cost.
-If you have PPF on your bumper/hood, and you have an accident thats your fault/that you dont want to make an insurance claim for? On you to pay AGAIN for the PPF reinstall.

And with a little patience/time? You can achieve results like this with paint chips.

PPF simply isnt a great value, is my opinion. GREAT product, but overall, cost benefit isnt where I need it to be when I consider:
- I sell my cars privately after I use them. And I never had lost a sale/gotten less than top dollar due to anything associated with stone chips up front. Even trade in value/lease return terms considers stone chips as normal use. Id never get back thousands of dollars at sale time for old PPF.
- One of the cars I sold a couple years ago was a 2003 BMW 540 in great shape except for a cracked front bumper cover. I bought a used one from ebay and had it painted at Maaco (excellent job for something that small, and they use PPG. Probably wouldnt have them do the whole car) for all less than what PPF would have cost to cover the bumper. Nevermind PPF would not have prevented the crack in it. IN the end, sold it with a perfect new front bumper.
-PPF isnt a steel shield. If you check forums/youtube, youll find that some rock chips will make it through, enough to cause a tear in the PPF that wont self heal. Might be a very minute tear, but its still visible....just like a small chip in the paint. Only difference? Cant touch up the small nick in the PPF but yet you still have the visibile detraction. Unless you replace the entire sheet of PPF on the hood....
-Does PPF protect against bird poop and the like? Yes. But so does a GOOD coat of wax/sealant/ceramic. For a fraction of the cost.
-If you have PPF on your bumper/hood, and you have an accident thats your fault/that you dont want to make an insurance claim for? On you to pay AGAIN for the PPF reinstall.

And with a little patience/time? You can achieve results like this with paint chips.
All valid points. That is why i give a stealth wrap a little more praise as it is similar in a way to a color change wrap. People seek originality and with the tesla with the whole 3 items to customize! You will just be another prius on the road. Granted stealth tesla is not as unique as a unicorn metalic wrap. You atleast got a look that stands apart from the heard and you protect the look unlike a color wrap would do unless you PPF the color wrapped which is dolla dolla bill.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I don't know Tesla well enough, but I have mixed feelings about this. See many people said the paint is no different than others, but also many people said Tesla paint is thin :)
I really don't know

The paint on my Silver Metallic Model 3 (a color that was discontinued) was pretty good. Only two tiny pin hole size nicks in the time I owned it (about 12000 miles) with no PPF. You really had to look for them. The paint on my Pearl White Model Y is pretty bad. There were a couple significant nicks from transport and a few more on the first drive home (which Tesla corrected). Since then I have a few more on the front hood and bumper and a significant one caused by loading/unloading my bike on the bumper of the rear hatch (in 3300 miles). Also you can tell it is much thinner on the side panels as well.

I decided to forgo PPF on it as I figured I might end up vinyl wrapping it a different color eventually anyway.

I decided to forgo PPF on it as I figured I might end up vinyl wrapping it a different color eventually anyway.
Good point! I usually don't keep the car for more than 5 years, so PPF might not help me. But in case I change my mind and keep longer, I can always do vinyl wrapping if MY paint turns out really bad after 5 years. So, in either case, NO PPF decision is a good one for me :)

In terms of cars depreciating in value, I traded in my 2020 Model Y LR w about 11k miles (induction, pearl white, FSD, towing package, VIN in the 2000’s) and received $56,400 from Tesla. We also privately sold our first model 3 and received just shy of the actual purchase price. I don’t know how much value PPF adds to the car, but in my experience a Tesla does not depreciate the same way other cars do.

I am also considering a stealth ppf wrap, but am hesitant based on the $6,800 price in my area.

In terms of cars depreciating in value, I traded in my 2020 Model Y LR w about 11k miles (induction, pearl white, FSD, towing package, VIN in the 2000’s) and received $56,400 from Tesla. We also privately sold our first model 3 and received just shy of the actual purchase price. I don’t know how much value PPF adds to the car, but in my experience a Tesla does not depreciate the same way other cars do.

I am also considering a stealth ppf wrap, but am hesitant based on the $6,800 price in my area.

I think you are definitely going to get some of your money back for PPF if you sell privately because there is a very real replacement cost.

As for trading it into Tesla, they're literally just going to flip the car to the next buyer with just a few thousand $ profit. They'll make their money on financing.

Your Y as configured would be over $60k new, so who wouldn't want to save $5k? :)

Just curious, what made you decide to trade in the Y? What did you get in its place?

I think you are definitely going to get some of your money back for PPF if you sell privately because there is a very real replacement cost.

As for trading it into Tesla, they're literally just going to flip the car to the next buyer with just a few thousand $ profit. They'll make their money on financing.

Your Y as configured would be over $60k new, so who wouldn't want to save $5k? :)

Just curious, what made you decide to trade in the Y? What did you get in its place?

I traded it in for the 2021 Model Y. Honestly, the paint issues with the low vin pearl white Y’s was so awful. My SC tried to fix it, but it just looked even worse (yellow bumper). I’m sure I could have tried harder to get it repaired but my SC is 90 min away and I was just tired of driving back and forth.

I just want to say if you buy 3M 2080 and do it yourself with about 5' x 50' of wrap the total costs associated is about $850 then probably about $150 in tools if you don't have any. So the base price of a wrap is around $1k so if you're paying 6k for a wrap the labor costs are $5k. Find an independent person who does it as a side gig and they can prob do it in 1-2 weeks for $2k.

The dynoshield (fashion ppf) looks great but it's probably costly and there are limited choices. Hopefully prices for those start to drop as I kind of don't want to do vinyl since it can scratch up where as PPF can greatly reduce micro scratches and swirls.