Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrapping the roof of a Tesla Model Y: how does a roof wrap fare over time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that Teslas have become quite prevalent, I feel like quite a few people may have tried putting a vinyl wrap on the roof. The model Y, for example, has a 46" by 62" glass roof. The shape, which is almost rectangular, seems like it would be very amenable to applying a wrap. The idea of this post is for people with either first or second hand experience with roof wraps to share information here on how roof wraps hold up over time. What does it look like after one year? two years? etc. In what ways does the vinyl or the adhesion tend to age or degrade over time? (I am familiar with Gjeeb and his endeavors, but I haven’t seen a lot of follow up about that.) Typically I think wraps can last for years.

Here's a thread that might interest you:

Here's a thread that might interest you:

Interesting. Thanks. The idea of this thread, here, is for people with either first or second hand experience with roof wraps to share information here on how roof wraps hold up over time. I haven't seen that anywhere else yet.

Maybe not as many people as I thought have done roof wraps? I haven't never been able to find any information on how long they last. I know Gjeeb did put a wrap on a model Y glass roof; I heard a rumor that he took it off a few months later, but I don't know if that was because there were problems with it or if he just got tired of it. Auto wrap places I have spoken to say it should last 3 to 5 years. I wonder if that is true. A model Y roof seems like it should be a relatively easy surface to wrap, basically a 4 ft by 5 ft rectangle, although maybe the edges are tricky and tend to peel up? Anyway, I am thinking about getting that done and wondering how long it might last? Any advice or information is appreciated. Thanks very much.

Please post photos when you do this. I’m on the fence about it, but would appreciate keeping the sun out.
Thanks. Yes, I will keep you posted. Professional automotive wrappers around here (central California) are wanting about $450 to do it, which seems high to me. The glass surface is basically a rectangle with modest curvature that can be readily covered by a standard 5 foot wide piece of 3M series 2080 white vinyl. So I was thinking of maybe doing it myself, especially because I am not sure how long it will last anyway. Can you ask how much pros would charge for that in Florida if you have time?

I'm following this thread. I was interested in doing this with smoke tint wrap, similar to what's placed over tail lights. The goal is to reduce cabin temps but be more budget-friendly and DIY-able than ceramic tint. A roll of tint wrap is cheap. There's also photochromatic wrap that darkens in sunlight

Thanks. Yes, I will keep you posted. Professional automotive wrappers around here (central California) are wanting about $450 to do it, which seems high to me. The glass surface is basically a rectangle with modest curvature that can be readily covered by a standard 5 foot wide piece of 3M series 2080 white vinyl. So I was thinking of maybe doing it myself, especially because I am not sure how long it will last anyway. Can you ask how much pros would charge for that in Florida if you have time?
Surprisingly, the Florida sun hasn’t been too much of an issue for me so far. My car is garaged most of the day, but when driving on hot day I haven’t felt heat through the clear roof. If I get an estimate I’ll post it here.

Another thing I've been looking into is exterior-side tint. Unfortunately, all the DIY exterior tints I've found are reflective which might be annoying or dangerous for semi-truck drivers. The non-reflective ones are only sold bulk to professionals. Anyone know of non-reflective exterior tint in DIY sizes?