Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much more does a fully charged MS weigh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just as any particle flying through an accelerator (e.g. Large Hadron Collider) becomes heavier when the Accelerator pumps more energy into it (by making it fly faster), same happens with our cars. When you charge it, the energy from the grid becomes stored in the car, and this energy has mass. You can say the mass came through the wire, but it came in form of energy, not matter.

Notice that this energy was taken from the outside world when you charged. Which means the rest of the world became lighter. At some point almost all of it was lost by the Sun: converting Hydrogen into Helium, what it's currently doing, generates a significant mass deficit, which of course flies away in form of radiation energy. This energy got captured here on Earth either by the water (evaporated -> got higher up -> condensed -> melted -> gravity took it down -> spun the turbine in the hydroelectric plant) or by plants (photosynthesis created energy-rich, heavier, molecules that we burned many millions years later -> heated water -> spun the turbine in thermal power plant) or by air (it got warmer one place than the other and started moving to the colder areas -> spun the wind turbine) or by photovoltaic panel. The only exception here is the nuclear power plants that derive energy from extra mass captured in heavy elements generated by supernova explosions that happened in the previous generation stars.

When you drive, most of the energy is lost to air drag. This drag makes the air and the car a little warmer, and therefore heavier. While the battery becomes liter, the world around it becomes heavier as you drive.

The other exception is the tiny amount of energy we capture from geothermal sources. That comes from heat deep within the Earth which is partly derived from nuclear decay and partly just left over from the heat generated from the potential energy of all the mass that fell together during the formation of the Earth.

Real physicist chiming in - yes, E=mc^2 applies, even with electron binding energies rather than nuclear binding energies. It's just much smaller, as the correct calculations already done in this thread show. If we take 85 kWh as having 2 significant figures, than 3.4 micrograms of additional mass is the correct answer. However, when compared with a car that has a curb mass of 2.1 trillion micrograms...

Well, have to admit I originally asked my question to provoke thought that (I thought) would lead to the conclusion the fully charged S would not weigh more than the nearly empty one. I really thought that all the e=mc^2 stuff was fun for giving me college flashbacks, but not at all relevant to the original question. My basis was basically that of potential energy not being something that would weigh more. I wasn't thinking that a rock at the top of a hill would weigh more than a rock at the bottom of a hill (again, ignoring gravity change based on distance, etc.), or a compressed spring would weigh more than an uncompressed spring. Basically just didn't think e=mc^2 applied here. My thinking was empty S = weight x, charging it with e amount of energy, it now has x+e, then drained we're back to x, but didn't think of the e itself having a weight stored as potential energy in the chemical bonds of the battery. Battery being a sealed system helped along that belief. After weeding through a bunch of pages from a google search of this topic, I guess I was wrong, though to be honest I still didn't see any explanation of exactly *how* a compressed spring would weigh more that made sense to me.

On the topic in general, I vaguely remembered some examples from my physics days about various scenarios, but they initially didn't seem like they applied, nor did I think that the energy itself, despite me knowing it was affected by gravity, would have a weight itself in this context (despite that being the same thing, right?). Reading of a box of mirrors with light in it weighing more than a box of mirrors without light was, um, enlightening…

I'd still like to understand the actual change in weight from a before/after chemical standpoint (or same explanation for a capacitor), but if I can buy that a box of light has weight (and I kind of have to, once I thought about it), then it seems to me that the battery *has* to weigh that little bit more, even though it has all the same bits of "stuff" in it, in terms of protons, neutrons, electrons (but arranged in either higher energy states or lower ones, and those states should - must - be different weights).

By the way, sense of scale here. From wikipedia when searching for things that weigh a microgram, the 3.4 micrograms we are talking about would be ~10 very fine grains of sand, or about 1/20 of an eyebrow hair.

Last edited:
The other exception is the tiny amount of energy we capture from geothermal sources. That comes from heat deep within the Earth which is partly derived from nuclear decay and partly just left over from the heat generated from the potential energy of all the mass that fell together during the formation of the Earth.

Well, technically there is another non-Sun's-fusion source of energy: tides. Tidal power plants extract energy from the kinetic interaction of Earth-Moon system (also a bit from Sun-Earth, but it's easy to ignore it). This means that tidal power plants are slowing down the rotation of Earth and moving the Moon further away from Earth. This process is happening by itself even without the tidal power plants, but the power plants are adding a small factor to it.

Of course, as the Earth-Moon system slows, it also becomes a little bit lighter. But this is a very small factor. If we assume that we get all our energy from tides (not gonna happen, but fun to assume), then we'll have to extract 150 * 10[SUP]15[/SUP] Wh per year (that's how much energy our civilization consumes). This is equivalent of almost 6 tonnes. Per year. For comparison: Earth weighs about 6 * 10[SUP]21[/SUP] tonnes.

Other fun fact: if we get our energy from the tides only, we will make each day longer by about 1 second in about 100 thousand years. And therefore tidal power is not renewable, strictly speaking.

You aren't losing electrons...the electrons simply transfer from anode to cathode. The car will weigh exactly the same at either charge state. If it didn't then the car wouldn't truly be zero emissions now would it?

During a road trip and measuring the total vehicle weight, If you stop at a rest stop and drop some friends off in the toilet during a bathroom break the total vehicle weight while driving will now weigh less than the difference between a fully charged MS vs non empty one. That be some science for you.
Ew!

• Funny
Reactions: SOULPEDL
During a road trip and measuring the total vehicle weight, If you stop at a rest stop and drop some friends off in the toilet during a bathroom break the total vehicle weight while driving will now weigh less than the difference between a fully charged MS vs non empty one. That be some science for you.
Which is why I've been telling the Airlines for years that they need a sign by each gate to describe how much energy they will save by taking that last trip to the bathroom before boarding.

Also, as proved above, the battery in the increased charged state does have more mass than not charged state, even with the same number of electrons. E=mc[SUP]2[/SUP]
Is this quantum physics messing with me again? The double slit observation was just overwhelming already. I'm not sure my brain can take this new reality. A spring in tension weighs more? I don't doubt it (mostly), but how does this happen? (Without using that equation.)