Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much power drains while parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was rather toasty here in SoCal yesterday. I recharged my car to 205 mi. in the morning. By end of the day I had lost ~10 mi. due to cabin overheat protection while parked outside my house (interior easily hit 100°-101° by mid afternoon). I charge exclusively at public stations, so looks like that feature is being turned off...

It was rather toasty here in SoCal yesterday. I recharged my car to 205 mi. in the morning. By end of the day I had lost ~10 mi. due to cabin overheat protection while parked outside my house (interior easily hit 100°-101° by mid afternoon). I charge exclusively at public stations, so looks like that feature is being turned off...
Ahhh
That explains it. Touché.

It was kinda weird my car seems to be holding head. It was parked in the garage at 8pm and it was still 89* inside. This was in SoCal as well. I thought it was odd. Maybe my previous cars were like that as well but I didn’t need have car interior temp on my phone like I do with the tesla.

Must be the case of having more information on our hands makes us aware of such things.

Ahhh
That explains it. Touché.

It was kinda weird my car seems to be holding head. It was parked in the garage at 8pm and it was still 89* inside. This was in SoCal as well. I thought it was odd. Maybe my previous cars were like that as well but I didn’t need have car interior temp on my phone like I do with the tesla.

Must be the case of having more information on our hands makes us aware of such things.

I don't wanna go as far as saying it's like babysitting another device, but that's exactly what it is—a giant iPhone on wheels that we can't neglect. It's a blessing and a curse. Yesterday I kept checking my app and watched the interior temp quickly jump to 100+. I park underground during the work week, so cabin overheat is a non-issue most of the time, but I guess it's gonna be one or the other that drains my battery now that summer global warming is back...Sentry Mode or cabin protection. Do I slightly regret not getting the LR to curb the range anxiety? Kinda.

I just went out to my car Mid-day here in Sacramento CA and the interior was 153 DEGREES LOL...that was because I had turned off the cabin overheat protection feature...I am going to keep it on....that is WAY too hot...AND that was with sunshades on my windshield + two shades one for each roof glass...today's high at my work is only 96 degrees....and I can am okay with simply charging my car more often :) just an FYI for you guys!

It does vary greatly, largely because of what options you choose to enable while the car is parked. I routinely leave my SR+ parked for 5-6 days between uses. I see an average of 1-2 miles of loss per day. I keep sentry mode and cabin overheat protection off. 2-3 miles per day is typical from most posts on here.

That's about what I see as well these days. Over Winter it was awful though, 10-20 miles a day, car would just not shut off randomly (some days ok, others horrible). Even when not that extremely cold out in a fairly "cozy" garage (50F unheated but way warmer than outdoors).

I just went out to my car Mid-day here in Sacramento CA and the interior was 153 DEGREES LOL...that was because I had turned off the cabin overheat protection feature...I am going to keep it on....that is WAY too hot...AND that was with sunshades on my windshield + two shades one for each roof glass...today's high at my work is only 96 degrees....and I can am okay with simply charging my car more often :) just an FYI for you guys!

Who was it too hot for? :D Don't get me wrong I am OCD about the car as well but making sure the cabin stays cool all day while I am at work is crazy talk. The AC will be basically be running all day with no one in it. Then we will worry about the air conditioning breaking down or something. According to the manual COP turns on at 105 degrees, it would be better if we can crank this up a bit to like 120 degrees or so and then maybe I would use it otherwise in the summer time our cars will all be sitting in the parking lots with the AC on and no one in them.

Wow crazy.

Yah I know I’m sure the tech in the car has been tested for high temps but frankly I’d rather keep the temp low for my own comfort and preference.

Reactions: Jazz_MIII
Who was it too hot for? :D Don't get me wrong I am OCD about the car as well but making sure the cabin stays cool all day while I am at work is crazy talk. The AC will be basically be running all day with no one in it. Then we will worry about the air conditioning breaking down or something. According to the manual COP turns on at 105 degrees, it would be better if we can crank this up a bit to like 120 degrees or so and then maybe I would use it otherwise in the summer time our cars will all be sitting in the parking lots with the AC on and no one in them.
I will see. I work in the high desert in LA county so it gets 113 during the summer. Will see how much range I lose per day.

Today it was in the 90s. With COP on, I arrived to work at 71%. Took the car out to lunch. It’s near the end of my shift and the car is at 65%. So 6 % off so far. I figure I must have used 3% just driving during lunch.

• Informative
That's about what I see as well these days. Over Winter it was awful though, 10-20 miles a day, car would just not shut off randomly (some days ok, others horrible). Even when not that extremely cold out in a fairly "cozy" garage (50F unheated but way warmer than outdoors).

I guess the car is actively trying to keep the battery in the correct conditions???

But you know if this behavior keeps the battery to last 20 years by all means I do not mind losing a few percentage off.

I’d love to have a tesla engineer talk about how the car works to keep the battery operating in the correct conditions. Maybe that’s why tesla says to keep battery plugged in all the time. The service adviser told all the new owners to keep it plugged in when possible.

According to the manual COP turns on at 105 degrees, it would be better if we can crank this up a bit to like 120 degrees or so and then maybe I would use it otherwise in the summer time our cars will all be sitting in the parking lots with the AC on and no one in them.

You can run COP with fan only, and I would assume that would be quite effective. Obviously it won't bring the temperature down below ambient, but it's not really a problem for the interior to be 100 degrees. Presumably the fan would be running continuously, but that's still going to be a lot less energy than running the AC compressor. (Think something like 100W (I have no idea precisely) vs. several hundred watts (time averaged with 30% duty cycle perhaps, depending on the temp).) 100W would be ~10-11 rated miles per day (over 24 hours continuous running, which of course it wouldn't need to do...)...so I'd expect something like 3-4 miles additional loss in a typical day (on top of standard losses) when running the fan. (But I have no idea.)

It would be interesting to hear from people how much COP without AC is using when they configure that way, on a very hot day, compared to with AC.

Last edited:
You can run COP with fan only, and I would assume that would be quite effective. Obviously it won't bring the temperature down below ambient, but it's not really a problem for the interior to be 100 degrees. Presumably the fan would be running continuously, but that's still going to be a lot less energy than running the AC compressor. (Think something like 100W (I have no idea precisely) vs. several hundred watts (time averaged with 30% duty cycle perhaps, depending on the temp).) 100W would be ~10-11 rated miles per day (over 24 hours continuous running, which of course it wouldn't need to do...)...so I'd expect something like 3-4 miles additional loss in a typical day (on top of standard losses) when running the fan. (But I have no idea.)

It would be interesting to hear from people how much COP without AC is using when they configure that way, on a very hot day, compared to with AC

Good point. If we can use COP with fan only (no AC compressor) that may be a good compromise.

My thought is: If you have a car that is nearly entirely dependent on a computer to run it, it's a very bad idea to allow it to reach too high of an internal temperature...so if you want your car to last, I think it's prudent we regulate the temperature as much as we can so we get the maximum benefit from our vehicle...right? Now it's safe to assume Tesla thought about the internal temperatures when building the vehicles, but I wouldn't want to entirely depend on that as a reason not to keep the car at a decent internal temperature while I'm at work.

I've already scoped out + applied effective parking-under-the-shady-trees tactics, so I am doing my part to not over utilize the AC! :D

I guess we all have our personal preferences, but to reach oven-degree temps with my WHITE interior and functionaly-dependent on a computer system that probably shouldn't get overly heated...I choose the cautionary route and try to keep internal temperature reasonably cool :) To each their own!

I like the idea of testing the non-AC COP strategy... ;) Curious to see how effective that will be!

My thought is: If you have a car that is nearly entirely dependent on a computer to run it, it's a very bad idea to allow it to reach too high of an internal temperature...so if you want your car to last, I think it's prudent we regulate the temperature as much as we can so we get the maximum benefit from our vehicle...right? Now it's safe to assume Tesla thought about the internal temperatures when building the vehicles, but I wouldn't want to entirely depend on that as a reason not to keep the car at a decent internal temperature while I'm at work.

I've already scoped out + applied effective parking-under-the-shady-trees tactics, so I am doing my part to not over utilize the AC! :D

I guess we all have our personal preferences, but to reach oven-degree temps with my WHITE interior and functionaly-dependent on a computer system that probably shouldn't get overly heated...I choose the cautionary route and try to keep internal temperature reasonably cool :) To each their own!

I hear you. I believe the computer is located behind the glove box. I wonder how hot it actually gets in that space since it is not in direct sunlight.

I guess the car is actively trying to keep the battery in the correct conditions???

But you know if this behavior keeps the battery to last 20 years by all means I do not mind losing a few percentage off.

I’d love to have a tesla engineer talk about how the car works to keep the battery operating in the correct conditions. Maybe that’s why tesla says to keep battery plugged in all the time. The service adviser told all the new owners to keep it plugged in when possible.

It’s bugs or poor workarounds for problematic hardware. If it had any consistency at all I’d say yes. Part of the waste is the ridiculous work around that will run the charge lock latch for 6 hours every 24 hours when it’s cold enough (even in 50F garage). I have the new revision charge port now and I don’t know if they are smart enough to let the car know it doesn’t need to run that useless work around any more. You’d think, but I doubt it.

There is no way a car sitting in room at 50F for 3 days suddenly needs to recirculate things for 12 hours or more.

It’s been running better since I stopped leaving it plugging in because it was topping off the battery every hour in the middle of the night. Another ridiculous “fix” to make people think there is no phantom drain. That’s probably why service advisor says to keep it plugged in. Lol.

Based on how poor NoA runs, AutoWipers run, Auto High-beams run, numerous lack of bug fixes that keep piling up and never get fixed. I very have little faith that Tesla’s software teams have any idea of what they are doing.

I still hold some hope that they do, but it’s getting old quickly. If next winter is as brain dead as the last one and bugs continue to not get fixed I’m getting rid of the car. I do love many aspects of the car but the software progress feels about as organized as deliveries, parts shortages, handling faulty glass and the rest of the company.

I like the idea of testing the non-AC COP strategy... ;) Curious to see how effective that will be!

I initially turned COP off after reading some people blaming vampire drain on it. I since decided I don't really buy that (unless 40C/105F is exceeded). Wait a sec. 40C is 104F. Hmm, the manual does say 40C and 105F, I wonder which it is. 105F is 40.55C.

Anyways, with COP w/AC I was usually seeing 37-38C when I randomly checked. I decided to try COP w/o AC and when I saw it get to 50C/122F (only ~25C/77F outside, but parked in sun) I said, "forget this" and just turned AC option back on.

If I forget to pre-cool my car before returning to it, I'd rather lose a few km and arrive to a 38C car instead of a smoking hot melting car :D

• Informative

While it seems like a good idea to park under the tree, tree sap and bird poo are a pain in the butt to deal with. I’d rather park under the sun.

hi.
New 3 awd Lr dual motor
What do you notice being lost when parked over several days?
Can the battery totally die after how long?
I have LR with everything but FSD. We parked it in a secure motel parking lot for a week. I don't remember what % the battery was at. I checked it daily while we were gone. The first three days the charge was static. Then it started losing 1% a day till we got back. The temperature was in the 50s and everything was off. Hope this helps.