Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much to spend on a car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So currently I can do the deposit for the non-signature edition without problem but not that much more than that. Hence the reason I'm curious about how crazy I am :)

Cobos

If money is an issue, here is the way to finance the $5,000 non-signature deposit for 12 months. Apply for a new credit card with a 0% interest deal on purchases. Those are still common for the first 12 months. Then use that credit card to make your $5,000 deposit on the Model S.

Tesla is claiming 2011 for the Signature 1,000 and 2012 for regular production of the Model S. I would pencil in an extra year to those estimates. So expect your model S regular production about four years from now and plan accordingly.

If money is an issue, here is the way to finance the $5,000 non-signature deposit for 12 months. Apply for a new credit card with a 0% interest deal on purchases. Those are still common for the first 12 months. Then use that credit card to make your $5,000 deposit on the Model S.

Tesla is claiming 2011 for the Signature 1,000 and 2012 for regular production of the Model S. I would pencil in an extra year to those estimates. So expect your model S regular production about four years from now and plan accordingly.
No 0% interest credit cards here in Norway. We've got a few with 12% though.

If I couldn't at this point when I've been saving up for the Whitestar almost a year do the downpayment I wouldn't even consider it. My plan is to save up now until it is available in 2012 or thereabouts.

The question was rather how much of savings and my monthly finances I should put towards a car I really want but in some ways can't really afford....

Cobos

That is crazy talk. Living beyond your means is the American way of life. :rolleyes:
Stop this type of thinking and just put it on your home equity line of credit like everyone else.

Doesn't that sort of require me to have any equity in my home to put it on ? :p

Oh, I wont live beyond my means just cutting down on other things like expensive vacations or dining out. I should just make sure I don't have any other hobbies that cost money :) How should I put this, I'm awfully sensible with my money (or my wife uses those words at least), but this sure isn't sensible is rather what I'm getting at.

Cobos

Sensible is a great way to stay out of debt, but frankly sensible is boring :tongue:
If you're sensible all the time there are some things that will never get done ... like being one of the first owners of an amazing electric car :biggrin:

I'm sort of in the same boat here - the model S is a more expensive car than I should be considering based on my budget, but if I see an opportunity like this that I would regret allowing to pass by, I'm willing to look for ways I can sacrifice elsewhere and adjust my budget to make this possible.

Last edited:
Yes you surely are crazy :)
I'm not even close to 3x. I suppose if the price is too much I can always cancel the reservation even though I'd prefer not to do that.
I'm still trying to get in touch with Espen though with no luck.

Cobos