Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How quickly must financing be arranged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am ready to order a Model Y very soon. I’m considering putting an order in before Tuesday to get in front of any post-battery day surge and lock in a price ahead of any possible announced increase. I could always delay delivery if something is announced on Tuesday that I care about. To complicate matters, I am closing on a mortgage refinance this coming Friday. So, I don’t want to apply for financing before that refinance is closed. I know the quoted delivery times now are for several weeks, but anecdotally some people are getting cars much more quickly. Would it be an issue to order the car this weekend and wait until next weekend to enter payment info/apply for financing?

You can select cash and complete all steps then when car is ready switch back over to Tesla loan/Third party.

Depending on location the Tesla loan is only good for 30/60 days once you accept terms. So you could end up have to ding your credit score again if the car doesn't arrive in a timely manner. (you need these steps done to get the car)

Oddly this has happened twice for me on my Model 3 purchase and Y and both times my interest rate went down the second time around.

Makes no sense.

You can select cash and complete all steps then when car is ready switch back over to Tesla loan/Third party.

Depending on location the Tesla loan is only good for 30/60 days once you accept terms. So you could end up have to ding your credit score again if the car doesn't arrive in a timely manner. (you need these steps done to get the car)

Oddly this has happened twice for me on my Model 3 purchase and Y and both times my interest rate went down the second time around.

Makes no sense.
This is what I did...completed all stages by choosing cash (because I was considering paying cash for it), then when I got my VIN and MVPA, I called my SA to switch to 3rd party loan. Then I applied for the loan with my bank (BofA - 30 day rate lock).

Thanks. Apparently the refit union will do one last soft pull before closing on Friday. I assume just doing the $100 Tesla order would not do anything that would show up on that, correct? My credit score is excellent, but this credit union seems fairly conservative.