Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how safe do you feel with basic autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends what exact version and tier of systems the cars had. It can be pretty confusing. Eg Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist 2.0 is only AEB and lane departure avoidance (eg “ping ponging”). Co-Pilot 360Active 2.0 is adaptive cruise with active lane centering.

Many upgraded systems have active lane centering, but not necessarily the basic systems. Point is, lane centering is not anything special or unique to Tesla, and in many cases others do the basic ADAS stuff (adaptive cruise and lane centering) better than basic Autopilot (not talking about EAP or FSDb, just basic Autopilot).
I’m aware. All were the best they have.
23 Outback w/ eyesight 4.0 adv adaptive
22 Mach E - 360 active 2.0 with blue cruise (garbage)
23 XC60 Pilot Assist

In my experience, basic AP somewhat reduces fatigue on longer highway trips. It would be even better without the wheel nags, because I spend too much mental effort trying to satisfy the nags, keep force on the wheel to prevent nags, etc. even though my hand is on the wheel. It's annoying. If anything the nags seem to have gotten worse with the lastc couple updates.

TACC is nice in general (especially on the highway) and good for stop-and-go traffic (assuming no lights/intersections) but I have found it waits too late to brake, is too sluggish on acceleration, and likes to panic stop if someone turns across my lane far ahead (even when no braking needs to happen at all) so I tend not to use it except on interstates or very light traffic. I haven't really had phantom breaking problems but the "someone's turning way up there but I gotta stop now!" has upset my passengers a couple times. It also doesn't look ahead and anticipate like a person can.

I tend not to trust AP in heavy traffic because it won't bias to the side if necessary and dealing with wheel nags takes too much attention.

Reactions: dl_jehu
From what I understand basic AP is its own separate code. In the future it will use a subset of the FSD code? Which means right now basic AP code is frozen and isn’t getting the improvements of FSD development. Is this right?

I find that basic AP is more irritating than it’s worth, requiring more frequent/aggressive interaction with the steering wheel than simply driving the car manually. I’m constantly thrown out by it. Then there’s the behavior where it shuts off each time you change lanes, which I regard as being like the barrage of ads on YouTube that seem wonky exist to get you to pay for an upgrade. Automatically suspending AP while your turn signal is on wouldn’t cost Tesla anything. The lurching around whenever a lane merges feels neither safe nor comfortable.

The cruise control actually seems to work quite nicely— and thankfully doesn’t turn off when you change lanes.

Reactions: wviands
I never feel at ease when my Tesla is in autopilot. I’m always extra alert as if a child is driving the car. From what I read it is supposedly very safe and very capable of highway driving. What is your comfort level when on basic autopilot?
Only one notch below being locked in a cage with:
A rabid lion,
A really angry tiger,
A terrified hippopotamus,
A pack of hungry wolves,
4 Alligators,
A 27 foot anaconda, and,
My Ex-wife.

Basic autopilot (stay between the lanes) works great.
Enhanced autopilot (change lanes/ on off ramps) works great.

I have FSD but when I am on a road trip I'm letting the car drive probably 98% of the time. There has been bugs come and go, but basically just stay alert and you'll be fine. I pay attention the most when there's construction, a car/people on the side of the road and getting on/off ramps.
Basic autopilot doesn't work great on my Y. It jumps back and forth between lanes, sometimes with a message, sometimes without, randomly phantom brakes when meeting vehicles, shadows, skid marks, etc. Can't say about Enhanced Autopilot because I ran out of clean shorts and had to stop using it. If the next update makes autopilot any worse, I will have to cut back to the golf cart.

Does basic AP avoid potholes and objects on the road like shredded truck tires or small objects like fallen pieces of a tree or dead/living animals?

Since, at that time I didn't have FSDb enabled on my profile, I would say AP (not NoA and no traffic light control set) did avoid a piece of metal 1/3 across my lane on a freeway. I was in the middle lane and longest setting for following distance and when the car in front swerved, my car reacted before I could and swerved. I was impressed. (Note I hate the car so am seldom impressed by it so that statement is significant,)

It might have been another part of the accident avoidance software that did the swerve but it worked, and worked well.

As for avoiding potholes. Nope. Not at all. Which is why I can't use it for months at a stretch in my city. Although there is a recurring one in my neighbourhood on the down side of a speed bump so invisible to the uninitiated that it will avoid now but only because local residents have stolen a traffic cone from another road repair and put it into the middle of the pothole.

Basic autopilot doesn't work great on my Y. It jumps back and forth between lanes, sometimes with a message, sometimes without, randomly phantom brakes when meeting vehicles, shadows, skid marks, etc. Can't say about Enhanced Autopilot because I ran out of clean shorts and had to stop using it. If the next update makes autopilot any worse, I will have to cut back to the golf cart.
My wife has basic autopilot and I have FSD. I can tell the phantom braking issue is worse with hers. I've never experienced in 4 years going back and forth between lanes. They've made recent positive improvements on braking when a car is coming in from a side road too. So...they're working on it ! :). I've driven hers on highways for a while though and it worked just fine on interstate 40.

My wife has basic autopilot and I have FSD. I can tell the phantom braking issue is worse with hers. I've never experienced in 4 years going back and forth between lanes. They've made recent positive improvements on braking when a car is coming in from a side road too. So...they're working on it ! :). I've driven hers on highways for a while though and it worked just fine on interstate 40.
You would think they would push FSD improvement to AP. As it is now, I would never buy FSD based on AP appalling performance.

Reactions: Ed Curry and gtae07
it has its quirks like others have mentioned, but overall does feel safer since a machine doesn't get tired or distracted like I might, and if i'm using this feature i don't really mind sitting in the same lane.

ideal scenario is following a car since then it doesn't brake as hard