Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Tesla Charges Idle Fees?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't supercharge very often. I've owned my car 15 months and supercharged 5 times at a total of 3 different locations.

On a recent trip I stopped in Macon, GA and did receive a notice when my car said it was "almost done". I had my next destination entered into the nav at the time, so it knew how much of a charge I needed to get to my next destination. The notice seemed to be tied to this rather than the charge limit I had set, as I had the car set to charge to 100% but was only at around 80% at the time which was enough to reach my next destination. There was one other Tesla there when I arrived but it left while I was still charging so that I was the only one there when I left.

On another recent trip I stopped at the Athens, AL supercharger and went to breakfast while the car charged. I didn't have the destination plugged in, and wanted to get as close to 100% as I could as I was driving about 240 miles back home. It was at 100% when I unplugged, but not quite done charging. I never got any notifications about the state of the charge or about idle fees or anything. I was the only Tesla there the entire time, as I could see the superchargers from the restaurant where we were eating.

Based on this, is it possible you only get a notice when you have your destination plugged into the nav so that the car knows how much charge you need?

I don't supercharge very often. I've owned my car 15 months and supercharged 5 times at a total of 3 different locations.

On a recent trip I stopped in Macon, GA and did receive a notice when my car said it was "almost done". I had my next destination entered into the nav at the time, so it knew how much of a charge I needed to get to my next destination. The notice seemed to be tied to this rather than the charge limit I had set, as I had the car set to charge to 100% but was only at around 80% at the time which was enough to reach my next destination. There was one other Tesla there when I arrived but it left while I was still charging so that I was the only one there when I left.

On another recent trip I stopped at the Athens, AL supercharger and went to breakfast while the car charged. I didn't have the destination plugged in, and wanted to get as close to 100% as I could as I was driving about 240 miles back home. It was at 100% when I unplugged, but not quite done charging. I never got any notifications about the state of the charge or about idle fees or anything. I was the only Tesla there the entire time, as I could see the superchargers from the restaurant where we were eating.

Based on this, is it possible you only get a notice when you have your destination plugged into the nav so that the car knows how much charge you need?
I get notifications all the time regardless of Nav system status. Usually a "Charging almost complete" gives about 15-30 minutes warning and if I'm still charging "Charging complete".

They won't get a single cent out of me for it, That I can guarantee.

They can feel free to change the deal for new customers. But they have no legal right to make retroactive changes to existing customers. That's not how the law works.

Lookup Charger Etiquette.
So when there is NO Supercharger open cause they are all full I don't want you getting Mad cause you're OK with hogging the spot apparently....

Reactions: FlyF4
I read some of the more recent posts for 2017 to current but have not come across any member thats actually tried to dispute the charges when bringing their telsa into the SC. Can anyone share that experience or know of someone and the result of that dispute? I recall an owner who picked up their MS negotiated certain delivery fees to be waived. I'm wondering for those that are picking up a model 3 can negotiate a waiver of the charges to complete the purchase? Thoughts? Please not smart ass answers.

I'm responding to this old post because I searched it. Just so everyone knows, the bit about "being charged at the service center" for idle fees is no longer on Tesla's site. They changed the verbiage. I wonder if they are going to just not charge the idle fees for people who don't pay. I haven't seen proof here of a post of someone who actually got charged idle fees with no Tesla account or credit card...

Supercharger Idle Fee

I've probably accumulated $150+ of idle fees not knowing at the time when they had implemented the new rules. Before then it was free and even idle was free. When that came out I just ignored them because I thought, well Model S is free , free is free plus I didnt have a credit card on file. Anyways some time in future with our other Model 3, there were some issues that SC dragged out, ultimately a bad experience. When I got the Model 3 back I check my account and all the idle fees were gone. Not sure if they cleared it because of the bad experience or if what you said above about just clearing them if no card is on file. I've taken my car in many times to SC while the idle fee balance was present and they never once told me to clear it out. I havent sat idle since then.

That's good info. I just got a used Tesla from Carvana and I'm interested to see what happens to me personally... I don't mind paying it, don't get me wrong... I just want to see how and if I am billed for it... I can't add the car to my Tesla user account because my registration is not in.. and with the Corona Virus, I don't know when I'll get it from the DMV. So I won't know either way until I can finally add it to my account. That's the downside of not buying used from Tesla...

I've just clicked on the earlier post's link to the Tesla idle fee page which says, in part: >> We envision a future where cars move themselves once fully charged, enhancing network efficiency and the customer experience even further. <<

Oh Boy! Even by Elon's "timescales" this is a trifle forward-looking!

I just finished a long conversation via tesla.com/chat and a follow up phone conversation from tesla representative about my idle fees. Apparently there is no concrete information about waived idle fees with the exception they claim the system automatically waives the first idle fee occurrence. This is false information because looking at my tesla account desktop version in history payments, multiple charging events were waived in various dollar amounts. I inquired about this because earlier this week after plugging into a supercharger at the mall, I manually set my limit to a higher range and left. The indicated time to complete was 40 mins but only 20 mins later I looked at my app and it said idle fees were applying because the charge was complete. Apparently its possible that once the superchargers are used past 50%, that your car can reset its limit to the 80% capacity and if youre already at that mark trying to get more miles, the charge will complete. Not sure about the rest of you, but I have turned off my alert sounds for tesla because of all the alerts I get, it starts to get annoying. Plus I already know approximately when to look at my app to better estimate my time to return. Anyways, the tesla rep confirmed this can happen and essentially held me liable for the issue because I'm suppose to be looking at my app at all times. I'm sure not all of you are constantly looking at your app if you already have an idea when to return.

Feedback to the live tesla rep was to provide a clearer guideline of idle fees and waved fees. I suggested that the app or your account should instead have a dollar amount such as $100 of waived credit and that the app or account should indicate in real time what is left. This way its just black and white and leaves the guess work out. Adding to this, it would be beneficial that referrals could also add credit to idle fees because some of you who have unlimited miles and get referral miles becomes pointless. At least those miles can be applied to idle fees that are actually usable. Disclaimer: I'm not saying we should all sit and collect idle fees if we have credit, but things happen that prevent you from returning to your car in the given 5 min grace period.

I ended up paying my balance by adding a payment method to my account in order to get my supercharging capability back. Fortunately the amount wasnt high, but I was inquiring with Tesla to waive it based on principle and first time experiencing my car reseting its charge capacity to 80% despite my manual adjustment to max charge.

Thoughts?

I just finished a long conversation via tesla.com/chat and a follow up phone conversation from tesla representative about my idle fees. Apparently there is no concrete information about waived idle fees with the exception they claim the system automatically waives the first idle fee occurrence. This is false information because looking at my tesla account desktop version in history payments, multiple charging events were waived in various dollar amounts. I inquired about this because earlier this week after plugging into a supercharger at the mall, I manually set my limit to a higher range and left. The indicated time to complete was 40 mins but only 20 mins later I looked at my app and it said idle fees were applying because the charge was complete. Apparently its possible that once the superchargers are used past 50%, that your car can reset its limit to the 80% capacity and if youre already at that mark trying to get more miles, the charge will complete. Not sure about the rest of you, but I have turned off my alert sounds for tesla because of all the alerts I get, it starts to get annoying. Plus I already know approximately when to look at my app to better estimate my time to return. Anyways, the tesla rep confirmed this can happen and essentially held me liable for the issue because I'm suppose to be looking at my app at all times. I'm sure not all of you are constantly looking at your app if you already have an idea when to return.

Feedback to the live tesla rep was to provide a clearer guideline of idle fees and waved fees. I suggested that the app or your account should instead have a dollar amount such as $100 of waived credit and that the app or account should indicate in real time what is left. This way its just black and white and leaves the guess work out. Adding to this, it would be beneficial that referrals could also add credit to idle fees because some of you who have unlimited miles and get referral miles becomes pointless. At least those miles can be applied to idle fees that are actually usable. Disclaimer: I'm not saying we should all sit and collect idle fees if we have credit, but things happen that prevent you from returning to your car in the given 5 min grace period.

I ended up paying my balance by adding a payment method to my account in order to get my supercharging capability back. Fortunately the amount wasnt high, but I was inquiring with Tesla to waive it based on principle and first time experiencing my car reseting its charge capacity to 80% despite my manual adjustment to max charge.

Thoughts?
So, you're complaining that they waived more charging events than their policy?

Busy SC will set your charge level to 80%. It tells you this on the screen, when you plug in and on the app. After the SC sets it to 80%, you can adjust it to a higher level if you need it.

Busy SC will set your charge level to 80%. It tells you this on the screen, when you plug in and on the app. After the SC sets it to 80%, you can adjust it to a higher level if you need it.

I experienced that while charging at an urban SC in Philly. I needed to charge to 90% to make it home without stopping, but the charge limit was reduced to 80%. This happened immediately and I got a notification on my screen. I could still manually slide the desired SoC bar back to 90% though.

I think the challenging part about timing your supercharging stops is that the charge rate is so variable, however with aggressive tapering, you often have more time to get back to your car than you may originally think.