Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to avoid long wait for delivery of your SR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went through the steps and ordered a SR+ online, and then was contacted by Tesla to give me an update on the process. I was told by my Tesla Owner Adviser to let them know that I wanted to modify my order to be a SR model when I was called. I let them know, and they made the changes - the day after I placed the order online.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM:

My order went from "delivered in under 2 weeks" to "delivered in 6 - 8 weeks" after the changes were made in the system to a SR, instead of SR+. I had a hunch that Tesla was purposely putting people who want to switch to the SR version on the back burner. So, I ended up putting in another order online for the exact same spec SR+ from before and went through the whole process again, and the new order still says "delivered in under 2 weeks" without any changes being made.

MORAL OF THE STORY:

If you want to order a Model 3 and plan to get a SR model, DON'T tell them about it until you SR+ Model 3 is transferred in. If your order has already been pushed back to 6 - 8 weeks for delivery, cancel that one and re-order without any changes made to the SR+ model while it is being transferred to your local store.

If this info works for you and was helpful, please hit me up for my referral code.

Good Luck!

- Josh

Yeah, those dirty rats are trying to run a company that makes money. Shame on them.

Thanks for the tip on how to lie.

Wow Matt - Interesting view on this. I think Tesla should make money as well, or we all may be in big trouble. My issue is that when you put in an order for a SR+ vehicle online it says "delivery within 2 weeks", but when you request for software changes to the vehicle (downgrading to SR) Tesla looks like they are delaying your order, even though the actual vehicle that would be delivered is the EXACT SAME.

I just wanted to share how someone should be able to get their Model 3 in the time frame that is shown when ordering. In the end, I am ordering and paying for a vehicle that Tesla agreed to sell, and that good ol' Elon said would continue to be offered.

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric
This is not true. I ordered SR+ 2 weeks ago on April 19 and they helped me convert to regular SR. At that point it was showing 6-8 weeks. In fact as of this morning (May 1) it was still showing that, then suddenly this afternoon it changed to delivery this Friday (May 3) with VIN assigned. This is exactly 2 weeks from my order date. I also noticed my MVPA is dated even earlier on April 29, which is only 10 days after order date.

So the moral of the story is, you should ignore the delivery estimate. You will get it much earlier. They are not trying to do anything shady with SR orders.

In fact, as an additional aside, when I ordered on April 19, they actually wanted to sell me an inventory SR and pick it up in 48 hours!

• Informative
Xanatos,
I sure hope you are right about the delivery estimate not being accurate. My big issue if delivery were to be pushed out is that I have a trade-in, and the price they give is only good for 1 month or 1,000 miles, and I drive more than 1,000 miles in a month, so there would be a good chance that I would get less for my trade-in if it took a while to be delivered...

Reactions: xanatos
Xanatos,
I sure hope you are right about the delivery estimate not being accurate. My big issue if delivery were to be pushed out is that I have a trade-in, and the price they give is only good for 1 month or 1,000 miles, and I drive more than 1,000 miles in a month, so there would be a good chance that I would get less for my trade-in if it took a while to be delivered...
Don't worry about it, you'll be fine. At this point they need cash and will take it from whoever is throwing it at them. They don't have time to play games anymore by delaying deliveries.

It’s a classic don’t hate the player, hate the game situation.

@jsdugan is being very rational because Tesla’s disorganization is allowing him to do the swap.

Tesla charges a change fee and no more outrage from anyone.

Difficult to be judgmental here if one needs a car quickly.

Sure, and when he gets his SR+ and then doesn’t get it downgraded as fast as he wants or at all...then we will get to hear about how he lied about it to get it faster and that Tesla sucks because they aren’t catering to his whims.

This movie is getting tired.

• Helpful
Sure, and when he gets his SR+ and then doesn’t get it downgraded as fast as he wants or at all...then we will get to hear about how he lied about it to get it faster and that Tesla sucks because they aren’t catering to his whims.

This movie is getting tired.

Tesla just charges him 35K for the same car instead of 39.5K on the final paperwork.

The downgrade will work because it’s done before the check is written.

It was my hope Tesla wouldn’t need to even start selling 35K Mode 3s until July but this is the reality of the times.

Tesla just charges him 35K for the same car instead of 39.5K on the final paperwork.

The downgrade will work because it’s done before the check is written.

It was my hope Tesla wouldn’t need to even start selling 35K Mode 3s until July but this is the reality of the times.
I'm unconvinced of the need. I think this is Elon's pride

I guess I need to realize that there are people who REALLY dislike that there are some of us out there buying the 35k SR Model 3, when they paid more for similar models - I wouldn't be happy about that either. Tesla decided to sell the base model this way, which ends up being way nicer than they originally stated. It makes sense to not be happy with Tesla about this, but I don't know why someone would have issues with the people purchasing the 35k SR Model 3. It's a stretch for MANY to purchase a 35k vehicle, but shouldn't we all be happy that an electric, safe, "good for the world" vehicle is being purchased?
My point in posting was not to bring up anything about SR vs SR+ models, but to potentially show a way for people in my situation to try to get their Model 3 in the time frame that was shown, and in the time they were expecting when their order was placed.
It sounds like the expected delivery date may not be all that accurate, no matter what. It also may be that my initial order changing from under 2 weeks to 6-8 weeks was just random - who knows. I just figured I would try to help out with sharing what I learned today...

I guess I need to realize that there are people who REALLY dislike that there are some of us out there buying the 35k SR Model 3, when they paid more for similar models - I wouldn't be happy about that either. Tesla decided to sell the base model this way, which ends up being way nicer than they originally stated. It makes sense to not be happy with Tesla about this, but I don't know why someone would have issues with the people purchasing the 35k SR Model 3. It's a stretch for MANY to purchase a 35k vehicle, but shouldn't we all be happy that an electric, safe, "good for the world" vehicle is being purchased?
My point in posting was not to bring up anything about SR vs SR+ models, but to potentially show a way for people in my situation to try to get their Model 3 in the time frame that was shown, and in the time they were expecting when their order was placed.
It sounds like the expected delivery date may not be all that accurate, no matter what. It also may be that my initial order changing from under 2 weeks to 6-8 weeks was just random - who knows. I just figured I would try to help out with sharing what I learned today...

I am not hating that you are buying a $35K model.

I am certain Tesla has a bigger margin on AWD performance > AWD LR > SR+ > SR.
And prioritizing their delivery time for the customers who give the company more profit is just a normal business practice and you are ruining it.

Reactions: Matt L
I don't think I am lying to Tesla. When I am notified that the vehicle has arrived at my closest store, I will let them know that I have decided to turn the SR+ into the software limited SR model. I fully expect to have the extra's from the SR+ model taken away. The actual VEHICLE they are delivering would be the exact same vehicle whether it was SR or SR+.

I am not hating that you are buying a $35K model.

I am certain Tesla has a bigger margin on AWD performance > AWD LR > SR+ > SR.
And prioritizing their delivery time for the customers who give the company more profit is just a normal business practice and you are ruining it.

If what I have posted is ruining Tesla, then I think there might be bigger problems. I am potentially "taking away" $4,500 of value from software upgrades compared to the $39,500 SR+ buyer, because the cost of the actual vehicle is the same. I am buying a 35k car at full asking price from a company who has agreed to sell a 35k car! (I'm not saying that it isn't a good value.)
But, what everyone wants to talk about is not why I posted!

Tesla is telling customers that if they want an SR they should order the SR+ and then request a downgrade. OP did exactly what Tesla asked him to do. You can decide at any time to downgrade to an SR or keep it as an SR+. The website blog even says you can downgrade to an SR after taking delivery, although we haven’t seen Tesla come through on that promise yet.

I’m not understanding why anyone would have an issue with this. OP is new to this forum. Let’s welcome him, not make snarky comments please.

Tesla is telling customers that if they want an SR they should order the SR+ and then request a downgrade. OP did exactly what Tesla asked him to do. You can decide at any time to downgrade to an SR or keep it as an SR+. The website blog even says you can downgrade to an SR after taking delivery, although we haven’t seen Tesla come through on that promise yet.

I’m not understanding why anyone would have an issue with this. OP is new to this forum. Let’s welcome him, not make snarky comments please.

Tesla said SR can be ordered in person or by phone.
Why would you have to order SR+ and later downgrade if you are telling the sales rep that you want to order a SR?

Tesla said SR can be ordered in person or by phone.
Why would you have to order SR+ and later downgrade if you are telling the sales rep that you want to order a SR?

The sales rep can do the same thing. They place an order for an SR+ and then request that it be downgraded to an SR. They can’t do the downgrade themselves. There is a department at Tesla that modifies the orders for everyone. It’s not a smooth process. I’ve been helping a friend try to buy an SR for two weeks now and the sales rep has been useless so far.

Reactions: xanatos