Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to convince landlord to install NEMA 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm working with my landlord on some type of deal/cost sharing on the install.
But no matter the price I would need to supply the charger and that would need to remain with the building if I ever leave.
They don't want to install a 14-50 or 6-50 receptacle.

So I need to look for options besides the Tesla charger. Going to be hard to find a good one at the same price point of $630 CAD
In Quebec I can get a gov't kick back ($600) for installing one if I have an electrician install it. So this charger could be a wash cash flow wise.

Any suggestions as to a charger?

Hey Randy,
You’re in beautiful "Mo-Real"! Quebec has way, way better incentives for these installs than we do, in the Big Smoke. Have you looked at the government incentives? I'm sure you have. Maybe a used L2 J-1772 type? Your landlord is a bit of a "Richard", 😀
Rebate is only for new chargers and lots that I see are 14-50 or 6-50 plug ins that the landlord doesn't want....
Sigh....getting closer to having in house level 2 charging but all this back and forth and hand holding is taking it's toll on my patience! lol

Reactions: Soul Surfer
Rebate is only for new chargers and lots that I see are 14-50 or 6-50 plug ins that the landlord doesn't want....
Sigh....getting closer to having in house level 2 charging but all this back and forth and hand holding is taking it's toll on my patience! lol
Hang in there broheim. When I see the gas rates and money saved, well, you know it’s worth the effort.

Reactions: Randy-12
Hey Randy,
You’re in beautiful "Mo-Real"! Quebec has way, way better incentives for these installs than we do, in the Big Smoke. Have you looked at the government incentives? I'm sure you have. Maybe a used L2 J-1772 type? Your landlord is a bit of a "Richard", 😀
Of course they do because DoFo has been very hostile to green initiatives and killed everything when he became premier. He is now changing his tune a bit with an election in four months. There is also the fact that Quebec continues to promote electricity in pretty much every way that they can.

Wow could it really cost that much? It's not a very large garage.

I'd gladly use a 120v but I unfortunately don't even have that option. I just figured if I was going to have them install power, might as well be a 14-50. Is the price difference between the two significantly different?

What are the best options for pay use chargers? I feel like if I don't do the legwork and lay out the options clearly for them, they'll just say no to avoid having to actually do something (gotta love Toronto landlords).
really depends on how far is your parking spot to the electric room. Is there a breaker the condo wants to give to you?

Reactions: KJD
But no matter the price I would need to supply the charger and that would need to remain with the building if I ever leave.

So I need to look for options besides the Tesla charger. Going to be hard to find a good one at the same price point of $630 CAD
In Quebec I can get a gov't kick back ($600) for installing one if I have an electrician install it. So this charger could be a wash cash flow wise.

Basically any 240v outlet would solve your problem.

If you can't get 15-40 or 6-50, how about 6-20 (240v/20A)

Even a (dedicated) 5-20 would really make a big difference (120v/20A) compared to nothing. 😃

So assume they want one hard-wired?

Here's Quebec's list:

If a Tesla wall connector is OK, it qualifies for the rebate (page 2).
If you could get hold of the Tesla J1772 wall connector it would also qualify.

I see they mention the Clipper Creek Amazing e Fast 32. That's 32A hardwired.
The Amazing-e are cheaper than their regular ones, but I think they're Chinese imports, rather than being made in North America.

Others would have to give opininons on other chargers. I just have dumb Clipper Creeks.

I would go with something like this from Clipper Creek. These units are super durable and 635 USD.