Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to correctly change rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the process for changing rims on my model Y?

I’m guessing it is pretty simple, but I want to make sure I don’t damage my new car. I did search all over the place for this, but oddly could not find anything, or I’m just lame at Searching .

I don't think it's that involved. You jack up the car using the 4 jack points, remove the old wheels, put the new ones on. You're gonna need to either have the old TPMS sensors moved to the new wheels or connect new ones to the car.

Required equipment:
Jack pads (not necessarily required, but nice to have)
A floor jack or access to a lift
Socket wrench to fit your lug nuts
Torque wrench (to torque the lug nuts to the proper torque when putting the new wheels on)
Lug nuts for the new wheels (stock lugs may not be compatible)
New wheels with compatible tires and TPMS

Reactions: BatteryGoVroom
I don't think it's that involved. You jack up the car using the 4 jack points, remove the old wheels, put the new ones on. You're gonna need to either have the old TPMS sensors moved to the new wheels or connect new ones to the car.

Required equipment:
Torque wrench (to torque the lug nuts to the proper torque when putting the new wheels on)

I would just add that it's not difficult, but if you've never done before it's worthing finding somebody who has done it so you don't screw something up.

Reactions: android04

Required equipment:
I'm an idiot. I meant the wheel COVERS. Thanks for the comprehensive reply though. Sheesh.:rolleyes:.

IMG_3677.jpeg

Reactions: ggunn9
There may be a retention bolt you will need to remove. My wheels werent flushing correctly and looked “wobbly” when it was rolling. Completely forgot about removing it when the wheels were mounted but luckily caught it asap

• Disagree
Reactions: todd2fst4u
There may be a retention bolt you will need to remove. My wheels werent flushing correctly and looked “wobbly” when it was rolling. Completely forgot about removing it when the wheels were mounted but luckily caught it asap

Thanks for that info!

There's no reason to touch the rotor retention bolt if you're simply changing wheels.

If your wheels are not flush, it's because the wheels were not properly installed and torqued.

There's no reason to touch the rotor retention bolt if you're simply changing wheels.

If your wheels are not flush, it's because the wheels were not properly installed and torqued.
I wish that were the case. My wheels were properly installed just fine. The air gap on the back side of wheel werent deep enough for the retention bolt due to the offset. Not all wheels will require the bolt to be removed. Others will attest to this

For clarity sake its this gap behind wheels. My TE37s in the rear werent that deep at all
1702059392050.jpeg

I wish that were the case. My wheels were properly installed just fine. The air gap on the back side of wheel werent deep enough for the retention bolt due to the offset. Not all wheels will require the bolt to be removed. Others will attest to this

For clarity sake its this gap behind wheels. My TE37s in the rear werent that deep at allView attachment 997663

I took a look at that thread and retract my previous statement...that's nuts they just slapped a bolt on there. Usually it's countersunk and flush, so people dont run into issues like you did!

I'm an idiot. I meant the wheel COVERS. Thanks for the comprehensive reply though. Sheesh.:rolleyes:.
No worries. The Aero covers pop right off. Pull out in one section and then pull in another section. That usually does it. I got the Lasfit covers (use Amazon, not Lasfit's site) for my 19" Gemini wheels, but there are tons of others. I had Rimetrix on my old M3 but they're pretty pricey. They claim to have better aerodynamic characteristics than the Aero covers, but to me, they're not worth the cost. Others out there that are just as nice to look at for cheaper. As far as the aerodynamics goes, meh. I think most covers would be an improvement over the bare wheel, but whatever.

No worries. The Aero covers pop right off. Pull out in one section and then pull in another section. That usually does it. I got the Lasfit covers (use Amazon, not Lasfit's site) for my 19" Gemini wheels, but there are tons of others. I had Rimetrix on my old M3 but they're pretty pricey. They claim to have better aerodynamic characteristics than the Aero covers, but to me, they're not worth the cost. Others out there that are just as nice to look at for cheaper. As far as the aerodynamics goes, meh. I think most covers would be an improvement over the bare wheel, but whatever.
Got it. Thanks!