Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to enable car autolocking after walking away from the car for a period of time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I do not like use my cellphone as a key to enter and exist the car as I do not like to keep my bluetooth on. I just keep my car keycard inside my wallet. So I just tap the keycard on Bpillar to get in and unlock the car.

I wonder if it is possible to simply walk away from the car for some period of time like 10 sec., and have the car auto lock by itself and honks by iteself to inidcate the car is locked?

If so, where do I access since function on center console?

Thank you so much

Walk-away door lock
52670D06-4388-4492-AE08-09521B089AB2.jpeg

From your owners manual page 13:

Walk-Away Door Lock Doors and trunks can automatically lock whenever you walk away carrying your authenticated phone or paired key fob. To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Locks > Walk-Away Door Lock. When the doors lock, the exterior lights flash once and the mirrors fold (if equipped with the premium package and Fold Mirrors is on). To also hear a confirmation sound whenever Model 3 locks, touch Controls > Locks > Lock Confirmation Sound > ON. Model 3 does not automatically lock if: • An authenticated phone or paired key fob is detected inside Model 3. • You are not using an authenticated phone or paired key fob as the key, and walk away carrying the key card or unpaired key fob (see Passive Key Fob on page 8). When using the key card you must manually lock Model 3 by tapping the key card against the door pillar. When using an unpaired key fob (sold as an accessory), you must manually lock Model 3 by pressing the lock button. See Keys on page 6. • A door or trunk is not fully closed. Note: If all doors are closed and Model 3 was automatically unlocked by your authenticated phone or paired key fob, walk-away locking is temporarily suspended for one minute. If you open a door within this minute, it will not relock until all the doors are closed and you have walked away with the authenticated phone or paired key fob. Note: If Model 3 detects an authenticated key for five minutes after you exit the vehicle and close all doors, Walk-Away Lock disables and will not lock when you leave with the key. You will need to manually lock your vehicle until after your next drive.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I do not like use my cellphone as a key to enter and exist the car as I do not like to keep my bluetooth on. I just keep my car keycard inside my wallet. So I just tap the keycard on Bpillar to get in and unlock the car.

I wonder if it is possible to simply walk away from the car for some period of time like 10 sec., and have the car auto lock by itself and honks by iteself to inidcate the car is locked?

If so, where do I access since function on center console?

Thank you so much

Nope, as stated, if you unlock with the keycard, you lock with the keycard. You would need to use either a keyfob or your phone.

Also, just as a FYI, I would suggest you actually take a little time to consolidate your questions into fewer posts, instead of making a separate post for each question you have.

The walk-away lock function is not available when you use the key card. Even with this feature active, I f you unlock the 3 with the key card, you must also lock it using the key card.

Not entirely true.

If person A (no phone key) opens with the key card, then goes and picks up person B (who does have a phone key) and then they drive elsewhere- when they both get out and walk away the car will lock via walk away unlock.

So it doesn't appear to care how it was unlocked originally.

It only cares if it sees a phone key "walk out of range" of the car when it's parked. If so (and walk away unlock is enabled) it locks on its own.

It only cares if it sees a phone key "walk out of range" of the car when it's parked. If so (and walk away unlock is enabled) it locks on its own.

I don't know if I agree with this, although I'm not going to dispute your report either if that actually happened for you. Maybe there is a detail I'm missing, but back when my phone key was not connecting immediately, I would get impatient and then just use my key card to unlock the door. I would then drive off, get to my destination and then exit the car and walk away. Unless I used my key card to lock it, the car would not lock.

I suppose that my phone key remained disconnected for the entire trip (and thus never seen by the car), but this doesn't seem reasonable, and several others reported the same behavior.

Having said that, this was a long time ago and I suppose the software could have changed since then. I usually just wait for the phone to connect now. It's normally immediate, and even when not, less than 10 seconds wait.

1. use the API to monitor if driver is present or not. once driver is not present for x seconds, if car is unlocked, then lock it.
2. use Tasker on Android, once BT connection is lost with the car for x seconds, if the car is unlocked, then lock it.