Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to find out "Put into Service" date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i've been lurking for over a month now and finally about to purchase my first Model S. My experience so far is that I've not really had luck getting anyone to answer some questions I've emailed in and I've also requested several callbacks (never received a call from anyone yet). Maybe you all can help me with a couple questions. Here's 1 I had related to the production/ordering section:

How can I find out the date the car was "put into service" for warranty implications? If looking at 2013 vs 2014 I was trying to determine when the 8 year warranty would run up for battery but don't know how to find out the "born on" date or "put into service" date that would start the 8 year warranty period. Is there any way to tell (for free without buying a carfax) the warranty period start date?

..."born on" date...

I think you can look up VIN for Year of Birth.

For Month and Year of Birth, there's a label at the door sill. In this case, it's June 2018:

oYsUAP3.jpg

That's the build date. That's not necessarily the "in-service date" which is when the warranties would start. A car can sit on the lot unsold for several months before being sold/delivered.

If you're looking at a Used(CPO) car from Tesla, I may be able to look up the "in customer garage" date, which is when the original warranty would have started, just let us know the VIN.

can u please lookup "in service start date" for VIN 5YJXCBE26JF105205 ?
That's the build date. That's not necessarily the "in-service date" which is when the warranties would start. A car can sit on the lot unsold for several months before being sold/delivered.

If you're looking at a Used(CPO) car from Tesla, I may be able to look up the "in customer garage" date, which is when the original warranty would have started, just let us know the VIN.