Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to free a CCS adapter stuck on a CCS cable….

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone!

Hoping the forum has suggestions on how to free a CCS adapter that is stuck to a CCS cable. The adapter clicked into place when it was connected to the connector, but when it came time to leave - I noticed the button on the CCS cable will not press down whatsoever. We tried for 30 minutes to get it to move, and then left it overnight. One of the employees at the location tried this morning with vice grips, but even then it didn’t budge.

The cable is a REMA REV-C1-150C, connected to a ABB Terra 54 station. Yesterday, temperatures were a high of 30 degrees, with a cooler wind chill. With temps that low, I suspect the button is frozen, or the plastics are just really stuck in their current position. I haven’t ever had this problem before, but I’ve only used a CCS station maybe half a dozen times. I’ve filed a support ticket with EV Connect, called REMA, tweeted at Kyle Conner. Thankfully I don’t have a CCS car, otherwise I would be stuck at the charger.

We’re hoping that with temperatures warming up today, the button might work today. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here is a link to the data sheet for the cable, in case anyone is curious as to how it is designed.

It was frozen. Waited until 1:00 PM - was sunny out and high of 39 degrees; then the button pushed down without hesitation.

Mission accomplished. We brought hand warmers, a blanket…and we’re praying. Didn’t want to leave it for multiple days if I had to wait for service visit from the charging company.

Lesson learned - don’t plug into a CCS charger unless the latch can easily be freed with the button.

If it is frozen, then perhaps pointing a hair dryer at it for a minute or two would get it unfrozen.

Reactions: theothertom
It was frozen. Waited until 1:00 PM - was sunny out and high of 39 degrees; then the button pushed down without hesitation.

Mission accomplished. We brought hand warmers, a blanket…and we’re praying. Didn’t want to leave it for multiple days if I had to wait for service visit from the charging company.

Lesson learned - don’t plug into a CCS charger unless the latch can easily be freed with the button.
I've never used one, but chemical hand warmers might be useful things to carry along with Tesla's CCS1 adapter, for those who rely on CCS1 chargers in cold weather. Activating a couple and putting them on the handle and/or adapter might help unfreeze a frozen CCS1 plug.