Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to generate number of kw/hrs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@2013cossj, I think I am hearing that you don’t just want what went into the battery, but you want to know how much was taken from the grid? The kWh reported by Tesla in the app as mentioned above are just the former. I have metered the wall connector so that I know the total. I also use Teslafi, which reports both that which is “added” and the total “used.” The total from Teslafi matches my metered reading very well each month. The efficiency for my setup is typically about 95%.

Reactions: aerodyne
You can network attach to the wall connector and get this information directly. This information includes the following (note my car is not currently charging or connected). It indicates my last charging session used 6365 wh. The app shows 6kWH (the display only shows the rounded whole kWh) So I think the app uses the true kWh used, as it shows the cost of the energy used by my wall connector at the rate I have input exactly as billed:

{"contactor_closed":false,"vehicle_connected":false,"session_s":0,"grid_v":237.6,"grid_hz":59.978,"vehicle_current_a":0.0,"currentA_a":0.0,"currentB_a":0.0,"currentC_a":0.0,"currentN_a":0.0,"voltageA_v":2.1,"voltageB_v":2.1,"voltageC_v":2.1,"relay_coil_v":11.9,"pcba_temp_c":30.4,"handle_temp_c":28.2,"mcu_temp_c":36.7,"uptime_s":1037829,"input_thermopile_uv":-152,"prox_v":0.0,"pilot_high_v":11.8,"pilot_low_v":11.8,"session_energy_wh":6365.000,"config_status":5,"evse_state":1,"current_alerts":[],"evse_not_ready_reasons":[4,8]}

@Bigriver I am also a TeslaFi member. I was only able to give TeslaFi access to my car's data. Where do you think it can obtain anything else besides what my car shows me as energy used -- which I feels sure is what the app shows as energy used? Perhaps the app connects to Tesla through my account and uses info from my Wall Connector which should be the true total usage of energy drawn from the grid. Please elaborate.

Last edited:
I am also a TeslaFi member. I was only able to give TeslaFi access to my car's data. Where do you think it can obtain anything else besides what my car shows me as energy used -- which I feels sure is what the app shows as energy used? Perhaps the app connects to Tesla through my account and uses info from my Wall Connector which should be the true total usage of energy drawn from the grid. Please elaborate.
Teslafi only has access to the car data. I have an old wall connector that is not WiFi and is not tied into the Tesla app.

I do not know if the Added vs Total kWh is directly from the raw API data from Tesla or if Teslafi is deriving it. But do you not see the charging efficiency in the Teslafi summaries? Here is an example where I recently plugged in with my mobile connector at 110 V, then moved to my wall connector at 240 V. I have previously also checked the metering of the 110 V connection, and low 80% efficiency is in line with what I expect there.
IMG_9514.jpeg

Reactions: ATPMSD
Thanks. I see what you are saying, but I think the app reports the "used" value because it calculates the cost of the energy used during the charging session to provide the cost of that energy on my electric bill. The "added" value would not be a true measure of the amount of energy used and billed, but the resulting energy the battery obtained from the charging session, all other variables considered.