Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get a Luxury Car Tax Refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per the DVLA website they should send a cheque and to contact them if nothing received within 6 months
6 months!!!! it should be more like 6 days.
edit:
I just checked the site and it says "if you haven’t got your refund cheque after 6 weeks." so I assume your post is a typo or there is one on the place where you looked.
I guess COVID-19 may have an impact but I have always had the cheque within a week. i'd call them if you've not had it after 2

6 months!!!! it should be more like 6 days.
edit:
I just checked the site and it says "if you haven’t got your refund cheque after 6 weeks." so I assume your post is a typo or there is one on the place where you looked.
I guess COVID-19 may have an impact but I have always had the cheque within a week. i'd call them if you've not had it after 2
My bad, i knew it was 6 WEEKS but mistyped months for some reason! changed now

Hi I SORNed early afternoon yday and then re-taxed at the PO this morning. I'm confused becuae I set up direct debit payments when I bought the car in early May and the first one came off my bank account on 30 March. Looking at my banking today it is showing another DD payment pending to come off today. Will this happen and if so will the system eventually "see" that I have retaxed today and then somehow refund this new payment? thanks again

Hi I SORNed early afternoon yday and then re-taxed at the PO this morning. I'm confused becuae I set up direct debit payments when I bought the car in early May and the first one came off my bank account on 30 March. Looking at my banking today it is showing another DD payment pending to come off today. Will this happen and if so will the system eventually "see" that I have retaxed today and then somehow refund this new payment? thanks again

I'm afraid your post does not quite make sense. You bought the car in May 2019 (used presumably if you are paying tax) and set up a DD the first payment of which came out of your account in March 2020!

So i am going to assume you meant you bought it in early March 2020 which would make sense. in which case:
The payment in March was for March. its takes a while for the DD to be set up so this one was clearly lagging a bit.
The payment due out today would be the one for April which you no longer owe. What happens next will depend on how long it takes for the cancellation to work its way through the system.
You could just cancel the DD to prevent it going out.
If it does go out if DVLA cancel while it is still in progress you might get it back by DD
More likely you will get a cheque for that month, but it might take a while to work its way through.

from the DVLA DD guidelines:
If you overpaid your tax
You’ll automatically get a refund cheque for any full months left on your vehicle tax. The refund is calculated from the date DVLA gets your information.

If you cancel your Direct Debit just before a monthly payment is due, DVLA may still take the payment. You’ll automatically get a refund within 10 working days if this happens.

Sorned at 1500 yesterday and re-taxed at 1030 this morning. Still showing as Sorned online at 1455 today, even though re-taxed. I am confident/hopeful that is DLVA system just being slow to update. I also have receipt of re-taxing if I'm stopped.

Am I to expect a cheque or refunded back to original credit card?

Once again, thanks for all advice Jason71.

So my timeline has been

Sorned online at 1500 on 31/03/20.

Taxed in person at Post Office at 1030 on 01/04/20.

Showing online as taxed at 0650 on 03/04/20. It was still showing as Sorned last night.

Now just waiting for the refund to complete the timeline.

So,I Sorned on 31/3/20....Retaxed on 3/4/20 for zero.

Received cheque today dated the day I sorned for £293.33

7A0870FC-FACE-4F60-AAAA-4DE5EDED4F79.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: GoTLSAGo and Durzel
I assume this does not apply to lease customers?

Based upon the dates in your signature, you will not have not paid any 'luxury car tax' yet to be refunded. The 'luxury car tax' element was only payable years 1 to 5.

Going forward, you or your lease company will have been required to pay it in Dec 2020, but not the case any more. How variations in road fund license pricing is handled when on lease is a different conversation.

I have seen M3's on the road possibly being delivered or heading towards SC's at the end of March. Would those have been taxed prior to delivery/collection to customers which may not take place untill April (or even later now) or are the cars only Taxed from actual handover to final customer - if so do Tesla have to get the refund. Another purely Tesla-centric issue with their delivery model - if this question is too confusing please replace with your own question and answer that one instead!!

I have seen M3's on the road possibly being delivered or heading towards SC's at the end of March. Would those have been taxed prior to delivery/collection to customers which may not take place untill April (or even later now) or are the cars only Taxed from actual handover to final customer - if so do Tesla have to get the refund. Another purely Tesla-centric issue with their delivery model - if this question is too confusing please replace with your own question and answer that one instead!!
for the record, by default new cars are taxed from the start of the month in which they are first registered with the DVLA. This date of registration is normally on the day of collection by the owner. There is a way to avoid this back tax if you collect at the end of the month and only pay for for 1, 2 of 3 weeks of a month otherwise everyone would want to collect cars at the start of the month which would be a pain for everyone. However as Vanilla says the first licence is free anyway for an EV and always has been so this is all kind of irrelevant where Teslas are concerned.