Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far should you drive for Offer Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to figure out if it's worth going out of your way for an Offer Up transaction where the seller or buyer asks you to come to them? How do you factor in the energy cost and cost of ownership? Tesla always has these banners telling about cost of ownership and it says 43c mile on this one. I always charge at home so I don't really know my true cost of charging but it seems cheap enough that my bank account isn't in the negative because it is on autopay. If I supercharged then I'd see my cost on the screen then probably start contemplating if that Offer Up deal was worth it. Right now, it's more about if it's worth my time to save $20 on a $60 Nintendo Switch game and waste 1 hour of my time.

If I drive 30 miles one way or 60 miles round trip just for an Offer Up transaction that was deemed out of my way, how should I justify it? Anything out of my way, I try my best to already be going that way for another thing so I try tell the seller / buyer this so I don't need to factor in the cost since it's on my way. But if I do go out of my way, how should the cost be factored in?

One time I think I did go out of my way to make $180 on a Mario Hot Wheels set someone wanted. I posted for $150 at it's retail cost, didn't many offers but months later near Christmas time, someone said I'll give you an extra $30 if you come to me right now. So I did do that. But thankfully I was going to pick up my parents at John Wayne which I promised already so it wasn't a huge out of the way cost, but sort of was. Also I drove after 8pm so rush hour was already done.

The banners at all Tesla dealers say about 39c to 43c per mile on total cost of ownership. So could I just apply this for how far. Like if I'm doing a 60 min round trip to make $180, should I factor in ($0.39 * 60 miles = $23.40). So $180-$23.40 = $156? I guess that's why they threw in an extra $30 for me to come out, maybe the knew exactly how much it would cost me in gas or electricity to meet them.

My thought is that EVs should have an advantage when it comes to Offer Up transactions and the only thing you're wasting is your time. If I had a gas car, doing Offer Up may be kind of harder if you're not trying hard enough to do stuff on your way. And potentially be spending more than you save.

1703813003494.png

Last edited:
Wouldn’t it depend on how much you need the item?
My assumption was that a Nintendo Switch game was not an essential item and that 'desire' might be a stronger motivation than 'need'. But, I could be mistaken. If this is a part of a life support system or required to support one's livelihood (professional e-gamer or youtuber?), the time spent should be evaluated similarly to the time spent commuting. I.e., a necessary cost of doing business.

But I got the distinct impression that this was an instant gratification trade-off similar to paying Amazon a premium for overnight shipping vs. cheaper and slower methods. The OP seemed to concentrate on a simple cost trade-off that took only the vehicle cost-per-mile into account and referred to his labor as time wasted.

Is there a way to figure out if it's worth going out of your way for an Offer Up transaction where the seller or buyer asks you to come to them? How do you factor in the energy cost and cost of ownership? Tesla always has these banners telling about cost of ownership and it says 43c mile on this one. I always charge at home so I don't really know my true cost of charging but it seems cheap enough that my bank account isn't in the negative because it is on autopay. If I supercharged then I'd see my cost on the screen then probably start contemplating if that Offer Up deal was worth it. Right now, it's more about if it's worth my time to save $20 on a $60 Nintendo Switch game and waste 1 hour of my time.

If I drive 30 miles one way or 60 miles round trip just for an Offer Up transaction that was deemed out of my way, how should I justify it? Anything out of my way, I try my best to already be going that way for another thing so I try tell the seller / buyer this so I don't need to factor in the cost since it's on my way. But if I do go out of my way, how should the cost be factored in?

One time I think I did go out of my way to make $180 on a Mario Hot Wheels set someone wanted. I posted for $150 at it's retail cost, didn't many offers but months later near Christmas time, someone said I'll give you an extra $30 if you come to me right now. So I did do that. But thankfully I was going to pick up my parents at John Wayne which I promised already so it wasn't a huge out of the way cost, but sort of was. Also I drove after 8pm so rush hour was already done.

The banners at all Tesla dealers say about 39c to 43c per mile on total cost of ownership. So could I just apply this for how far. Like if I'm doing a 60 min round trip to make $180, should I factor in ($0.39 * 60 miles = $23.40). So $180-$23.40 = $156? I guess that's why they threw in an extra $30 for me to come out, maybe the knew exactly how much it would cost me in gas or electricity to meet them.

My thought is that EVs should have an advantage when it comes to Offer Up transactions and the only thing you're wasting is your time. If I had a gas car, doing Offer Up may be kind of harder if you're not trying hard enough to do stuff on your way. And potentially be spending more than you save.

View attachment 1003878

questions:

1.) do you enjoy going for a drive just for the sake of driving?

2.) what’s the value of your time?

3.) how long did it take to make this post?

Reactions: RTPEV and moa999
My assumption was that a Nintendo Switch game was not an essential item and that 'desire' might be a stronger motivation than 'need'. But, I could be mistaken. If this is a part of a life support system or required to support one's livelihood (professional e-gamer or youtuber?), the time spent should be evaluated similarly to the time spent commuting. I.e., a necessary cost of doing business.

But I got the distinct impression that this was an instant gratification trade-off similar to paying Amazon a premium for overnight shipping vs. cheaper and slower methods. The OP seemed to concentrate on a simple cost trade-off that took only the vehicle cost-per-mile into account and referred to his labor as time wasted.

It's more about the idea that if I get a $40 Nintendo Switch game, I am likely to get my exact money back when I go to resell it to someone else. There has to be that one person who takes the $20 hit to their net worth for this $40 NIntendo Switch game to exist. But I'm not an e-gamer that needs to buy my own games. I do profit from arcade games though where I can resell my prizes at a profit or keep them.