Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision Repair taking Months! Need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was rear ended and pushed into a car in-front of me back in mid-April. The vehicle drove but had accordianed and was no longer water-tight, I kept it in the garage until collision center could start in early May. They have had my vehicle since then and the ETA for parts keeps moving. I just found out they are not expecting a required part now until August 1st and their estimated repair time after they have it is another 4-5 weeks!

Do I have any options to demand the vehicle be totaled? Is there anyone at Tesla to contact to get these parts sent to their authorized collision center? I could have gotten a new car months ago had they paid out.

I’ve already had issues with the at-fault parties insurance saying they will not cover a rental if the delay is due to part or labor shortages. I have justification from collision center that should protect me until beginning of August, but at that point rental will be coming out of my pocket.

I’ve already had issues with the at-fault parties insurance saying they will not cover a rental if the delay is due to part or labor shortages.

You should park your car at the body shop, even if they didn't have yet received the parts.

So the body shop can start looking more in detail to your car, removing damaged parts.
They might them discover that there might be even more parts to be replaced. This will save a lot of time.
In particular if any rear need to be cut to be replaced, the full glass roof needs to be removed.

Also, the rental car should covers the whole time the car is at the body shop,
not when parked at you home even if not drivable.

Your insurrance would not like that you park the car at the body shop
because in case the car will be totaled, the insurance will have to pay the storage fees for the car.

So try to find a way to get your car at the bodyshop, unless you use it need it,
and let the body shop and your insurance dealing with it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Sorry, I wasn’t clear in my original post. They have had the car at the collision center as of early-mid May. My biggest concern is the at-fault insurance has already told me they will not cover a rental if it is due to parts or labor shortages. I have not have possession of the vehicle for about 2 months and not actively driven it for about 2.5 months.

I am frustrated as I planned on doing a ton of camping this summer with the car, and now that has been ruined and now there is no chance I’ll receive the vehicle back until my child is in school and we won’t be able to camp more than a couple nights.

Is there any options I have to have the vehicle totaled as I could go pickup an existing car in inventory tomorrow that matches my build? Is there anyway to put pressure on the collision center or Tesla to provide the “lower impact bar” that continues to be delayed?

Sorry, I wasn’t clear in my original post. They have had the car at the collision center as of early-mid May. My biggest concern is the at-fault insurance has already told me they will not cover a rental if it is due to parts or labor shortages. I have not have possession of the vehicle for about 2 months and not actively driven it for about 2.5 months.

I am frustrated as I planned on doing a ton of camping this summer with the car, and now that has been ruined and now there is no chance I’ll receive the vehicle back until my child is in school and we won’t be able to camp more than a couple nights.

Is there any options I have to have the vehicle totaled as I could go pickup an existing car in inventory tomorrow that matches my build? Is there anyway to put pressure on the collision center or Tesla to provide the “lower impact bar” that continues to be delayed?
What a mess! Hmm, you can call other collision centers and ask for availability and ETA of the part. Also continue to talk to your current collision center ... every day. Be creative. Ask where the part is coming from, can a used part be used, what exactly is the hold up.... While all this is happening you can get an inventory car, go camping with your more important child. Then sell the damaged car when it's repaired in six or nine months.

My biggest concern is the at-fault insurance has already told me
they will not cover a rental if it is due to parts or labor shortages.

I was in a 9 month yatus for a simillar collision that you have.

The rental cost and the Diminished Value should be negociate
when you will get your car back using a Diminished Value appraiser.
Do not deal with your own insurance but with the at-fault insurance.

For a short term solution, maybe try to rent a Tesla from Hertz for one or two weeks at a time.
This is what I did, but using an Audi from Silvercar at the time.

You could buy a replacement car, and if the car get totaled you could get some of the value back,
or if the car get repaired, you could then sell it.

But try getting more answer regarding the rental car. IMO, if your car is at a body shop, rental should be cover.

• Helpful
So, more frustrating bit I just discovered. The part is source able on eBay for $25 more than they have on estimated repair. It isn’t an OEM part - anyone know the implications to the Tesla warranty if I get them to install non-OEM?

I was rear ended and pushed into a car in-front of me back in mid-April. The vehicle drove but had accordianed and was no longer water-tight, I kept it in the garage until collision center could start in early May. They have had my vehicle since then and the ETA for parts keeps moving. I just found out they are not expecting a required part now until August 1st and their estimated repair time after they have it is another 4-5 weeks!

Do I have any options to demand the vehicle be totaled? Is there anyone at Tesla to contact to get these parts sent to their authorized collision center? I could have gotten a new car months ago had they paid out.

I’ve already had issues with the at-fault parties insurance saying they will not cover a rental if the delay is due to part or labor shortages. I have justification from collision center that should protect me until beginning of August, but at that point rental will be coming out of my pocket.
Regretfully, you are in a situation where you are joined by many vehicle owners. Not just Tesla owners. My local TV station did a new story about it a few weeks ago and it wasn't about Teslas.

And responding to your other post, Tesla probably won't touch a non-Tesla part, and they won't warranty it either. Depending in what it is, it may not impact the warranty of anything else. But then again, if it's deemed a "safety" part, it can greatly impact the warranty.