Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Get Under 310 Wh/mi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
513DED0E-D59B-4CB3-BF26-D43171D3D0D0.jpeg

In my X75D with A/C, wife, kid, and luggage. Yeah, not typical but obtainable nonetheless.

Where do you drive around? About 35% freeway drive.
Climbing hills? Yes, some but not real crazy hills that we have in SF.
Do you have your HVAC on MAX? No

Do you have smart preconditioning: Turned this off after a week of whenever that update came.
Are you a garager or is it parked outside overnight in the cold? No garage, unfortunately.

I usually go at 65 and a max of 69, never over that unless I need to avoid hitting someone/change lanes. My drive is about 35% freeway. Wheels and tire pressure standard, didn't get any upgrade.
With a 65% city driving I don’t think you are too far off in this weather.

To get to low 300Wh/mi you need to be driving on freeway for the most part at 65-70.

I only run errands during weekdays and by driving 15miles around town I’ve used 10% of my battery which is about 29 rated miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandiegodoug
Is it normal to see over 800 Wh/Mi consistently when you start driving right after you charge the MX? Most of you seem to get at least 150 miles even if you couldn't get under 311 Wh/mi. So maybe there is something going on with my battery pack.

Not sure what I can do since SC is refusing to acknowledge that there is an issue.

Does anyone with a 75D get less than 125 miles on a 90% charge even when you are averaging about 350-38 Wh/mi?

That's 2.86 miles per kWh, to have less than 125 miles range at that efficiency your total usable kWh will be less than 45kWh.

Please post an image of your energy consumption screen/trip meter, and the 'predicted' range of the car along with % remaining of battery displayed on the dash.

• Helpful
Reactions: MXn00b
While I'm sure you could get an X under 310 Wh/mi if you drive conservatively in ideal conditions my experience is that it's nearly impossible if driving it in a natural and comfortable way (using climate control, accelerating reasonably, and keeping up with traffic).

I haven't yet reset my Trip A since taking delivery in the 25k miles I've driven my 75D over the past 15 months and my average is 411 Wh/mi according to the trips page
X trips.png

We have to keep in mind that this heavily influenced by my personal driving style, the terrain around me (mountainous foothills not too far from Seattle, WA, USA), and the general ambient temperature. I am typically on the heavy side of the pedal as I really enjoy the acceleration, I travel over a mountain pass a few times a month, I've towed trailers for at least 1,000 of the total miles which doubles consumption for those miles, and I've been in sub-freezing temperatures regularly over the past few months.

I keep the car set to "Energy" display rather than "Range" since the displayed estimates have never aligned to my experience. I have come to a general rule that I reliably get around 1.5 miles for each percent of the battery if I'm not flooring it. I charge to 90% daily and consistently get about 110 miles of range by time I'm down to a 25-30% charge.

Trip B from the picture is a one-way jaunt over the mountain pass I mentioned. The side I went up is steeper than the side I came down. It is primarily highway between 65 mph and 75 mph with AP engaged. When I take that same trip home I'll use roughly 7-10% less energy due to the gentler incline up and the increased regen going down the steep side.

Finally, I also notice that my use will spike to 800-1,000 Wh/mi initially but that's usually only for the first 1-3 miles due to the power needed to accelerate the car multiple times before getting out on to a road and having some proper distance for the calculation to average out over.

Last edited:
Reactions: puhiniho