Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Handle Success

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my SO and I came from solid middle class homes, ones in which there were lean times, most needs always tended to, many wants gone without. This helped us to live below our means and save. Some family and friends had a few hobbies that cost money, none were extravagant. We did not travel, others seem to have had a bit of travel, nothing expensive. Our regular savings coupled with add on investments in TSLA have us with mucho dinero, much more than we ever expected. We really did not prepare for this. We now have great peace of mind that we will not run out of money. We live in what we take to be an average house albeit with solar and proper updates. We drive a lower end Tesla and one old vehicle. Our net worth has basically doubled in a year, and a year ago we had plenty of assets...

As this company continues to grow, we expect to have even more assets. OK, so now what?
We have no kids or favorite charities.
We are not sure about gifting money to family while alive, though we could. We do not want to create an expectation.
We've picked up one expensive hobby.

So the question is really, how much did life prepare you for this success? What is it that prepared you? How are you handling this success? Do you keep quiet about it or share? Do you share wealth with others and how? Have you left your old social scene and moved up in the world formally, ie changed neighborhoods? What is going on in your life and mind as it relates to this success? Anyone join Tiger21?

Pinch me! Pinch us!

This is a general topic that's become reasonably top of mind for my wife and I, with a lot of the same dynamics. We also have no kids or family that we plan to leave the pile to (that's how I refer to it :D). We're getting better at spending money on ourselves but not THAT good.

Our primary plan is to focus on giving as much of it away as we can while we're alive. There will be charity(s) there at the end, but we think it'll be more fun and rewarding to give away smaller amounts constantly, than 2 or 3 huge gifts to charities that know they are coming when we shuffle off.

One of the problems we're encountering is that with one exception, there isn't anybody in the collection of people that we knew before I retired that we can talk about this stuff with. I've heard the advice 'get new friends' and that certainly makes sense to me. Heck I want to expand my network anyway now that work isn't providing me with a supply of people with similar interests. Leading to the question - where do we find each other?

I read through some of the reviews of that book linked by @heltok . It appears to be a polarizing book, with many reading somebody that comes across as privileged and so out of touch with reality that it's hard to find the words. First world problems indeed, and I'm totally cognizant and appreciative that these are indeed first world problems. I like first world problems and I wish them on everybody.

Your questions:
So the question is really, how much did life prepare you for this success?
- Not much preparation really, beyond working in high tech and being paid a very good salary. So having enough to have an emergency fund, debt free, and basically whatever we want without having really expensive hobbies - that's been part of our adult life from pretty much the beginning. Our earlier lives were not so well off financially, so its something we're making up as we go along.

What is it that prepared you?

How are you handling this success?
- One first world problem that we're starting to tackle is being willing to spend money on our selves. We're new enough to this (like you - the last year or 2 changed a comfortable retirement into 2 or 3 comfortable retirements, with all indicators that the comfortable requirements will continue accumulating much faster than we can spend them.
- It can be difficult to start spending the retirement money. And both of us know people - coworkers and family - that achieve retirement and don't spend their money on themselves; we don't want to be them.

Do you keep quiet about it or share?
- quiet with 2 exceptions (strangers on this forum, and 1 person from my work network where we've been talking options for most of a year). I still am not specific about how big the pile is, but we've also talked enough that he can guess and its obvious that it's not small.

Do you share wealth with others and how?
- We're just getting started this year with a more robust giving plan than we've ever had. My guess is this year will be modest relative to what we want to get to --- part of that spending money thing and needing to feel like we're not going to accidentally run out. The year after will be more, and in 3-5 years we'll have a system in place for figuring out how much we can give away.
- And in 3-5 years we might even have a more systematic way for deciding where to give it away to :).
- There aren't any individuals we plan to share with.

Have you left your old social scene and moved up in the world formally, ie changed neighborhoods?
- we're looking at houses that we wouldn't have previously considered. We plan to move but we're not in a rush.

What is going on in your life and mind as it relates to this success?
- We keep having days where we look at each other and its like "I don't know what to do with that". Like a day where the portfolio changes more in value in a day than a year of salary back when I was still working. Nothing actually changes for us in the moment - it's not like "ooh - now we can get that <x> we've been wanting, that we couldn't get before.
- It boggles our minds, regularly. I think this is where knowing some people with similar first world problems would be good. If nothing else, my personal experience in life is that people that are especially successful financially (I met these folks almost exclusively through my job) are also some of the best and nicest people I've met. It's not exactly onerous in my mind to join these new-to-me communities.

Anyone join Tiger21?
- Not I. But I have no idea what it is either.

It’s not the best book ever written, but the book brings up a lot of relevant discussion around this topic:

What did the book "say" to you, or what was your take on it? I also read reviews, tough to tell the value in it.

What did the book "say" to you, or what was your take on it? I also read reviews, tough to tell the value in it.
Imo always sort reviews by date, not by votes as the votes are mostly polarized and extreme to get to the top.

The book gave me a chance to reflect on my own relationship with becoming wealthy, gave some insights about how it is to hire help for tasks I have always been doing myself, how different people react to becoming wealthy, how to raise healthy kids when they don’t need to worry about money etc. I got a bit annoyed by the author at times, but I found the topic to be very interesting and in the end the book gave me a better understanding about how it is to become wealthy. Whenever you feel that she fails to understand her own struggles just fast forward and get to the discussion. She can be very dense, or at least she seems that way, but at least she is trying to have a discussion around a topic that has been taboo.

Imo always sort reviews by date, not by votes as the votes are mostly polarized and extreme to get to the top.

The book gave me a chance to reflect on my own relationship with becoming wealthy, gave some insights about how it is to hire help for tasks I have always been doing myself, how different people react to becoming wealthy, how to raise healthy kids when they don’t need to worry about money etc. I got a bit annoyed by the author at times, but I found the topic to be very interesting and in the end the book gave me a better understanding about how it is to become wealthy. Whenever you feel that she fails to understand her own struggles just fast forward and get to the discussion. She can be very dense, or at least she seems that way, but at least she is trying to have a discussion around a topic that has been taboo.
Thank you, think I will order or listen.

It is really strange to consider that one of the books I read just a few short years ago was the title Your Money or Your Life by Vicky Robin. it was about a simple early retirement, getting out of the rat race with simple/minimal needs/wants.

Any advice on dealing with ppl who infer how much money you have based on past (pre 2019) conversations about TSLA?
There are people who seem to infer, or are bluffing that they infer, your wealth based on the discussions you had with them years ago.

Frankly I was shocked by a degree people who do not even know you well will attempt to track your wealth. It is a bit unnerving, almost wish I was trained in psych-ops to throw them off with misinformation. I would appreciate hints or practical experiences or believable story I could use ( like "I moved most of my money to Evergrande bonds") .

Reactions: UltradoomY
Any advice on dealing with ppl who infer how much money you have based on past (pre 2019) conversations about TSLA?
There are people who seem to infer, or are bluffing that they infer, your wealth based on the discussions you had with them years ago.

Frankly I was shocked by a degree people who do not even know you well will attempt to track your wealth. It is a bit unnerving, almost wish I was trained in psych-ops to throw them off with misinformation. I would appreciate hints or practical experiences or believable story I could use ( like "I moved most of my money to Evergrande bonds") .

Sorry that is happening. I've been a fan for a long time but never had this happen to me.

So my SO and I came from solid middle class homes, ones in which there were lean times, most needs always tended to, many wants gone without. This helped us to live below our means and save. Some family and friends had a few hobbies that cost money, none were extravagant. We did not travel, others seem to have had a bit of travel, nothing expensive. Our regular savings coupled with add on investments in TSLA have us with mucho dinero, much more than we ever expected. We really did not prepare for this. We now have great peace of mind that we will not run out of money. We live in what we take to be an average house albeit with solar and proper updates. We drive a lower end Tesla and one old vehicle. Our net worth has basically doubled in a year, and a year ago we had plenty of assets...

As this company continues to grow, we expect to have even more assets. OK, so now what?
We have no kids or favorite charities.
We are not sure about gifting money to family while alive, though we could. We do not want to create an expectation.
We've picked up one expensive hobby.

So the question is really, how much did life prepare you for this success? What is it that prepared you? How are you handling this success? Do you keep quiet about it or share? Do you share wealth with others and how? Have you left your old social scene and moved up in the world formally, ie changed neighborhoods? What is going on in your life and mind as it relates to this success? Anyone join Tiger21?

Pinch me! Pinch us!
There Is a book to answer ALL your questions: The Millionaire Nextdoor.
probably one of the most interesting read on the subject.

Reactions: UltradoomY

Easy: “If I had only held onto those shares, I’d be a millionaire right now! It’s too painful to discuss, let’s talk about something else.”

I had bought BBD.B that went -90%
I had bought TSLA that went the opposite.
I always keep telling them that it is a null sum game.

We've had plenty of success in life thanks to a combination of luck, hard work and others help but aren't at the point where we are in your boat (special needs child, wife wants to start a business, etc). In the event we get to a point where I can retire or have so much money that our daughter (and son) are reasonably protected with necessities, I'd probably start researching charities that can benefit causes important to me (i.e. autism, children, etc) so I can donate that way. I also think use of one's time is important, so perhaps you create your own charity and fund with your wealth to contribute directly to what is impactful to your family.

Reactions: ZeApelido