Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to know what software your car should have

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi There,

First time poster so if I have put this in the wrong place or it is answered elsewhere I apologise in advance.
Just picked up my first Tesla and I had a question about software updates - how do you know what the current version is based on your model and country? I can’t seem to find an easy answer to this online. I know that the car should automatically tell you if there is an update but I am just curious to know.

Also, does the Model Y have Tesla Vision Park Assist? If so any idea what variants do/don’t have it and is it something you need to pay for?

Thanks,
Gareth

just 1 way is in your phone app, go down to the bottom and click Release Notes. It'll tell you what's on your car.

there is no official listing of what is the most current version. there are a bunch of websites that will compile voluntary fleet information to show what is newest.

you'll know you have park assist when you're driving or reversing at slow speed, and the left side display is a movable 3d model with the environment rendered. cars without park assist will have a static top-down view with obstacles rendered as lines instead of 3d volumes.

Reactions: jjrandorin
You didn’t say which software version you have now.

There’s no way to know which version your car “should” have, because Tesla doesn’t update cars that way. Tesla decides when your car should get an update and which version, and two identical cars might get different versions.

Is your Model Y new or used? In the US, all newer Teslas that don’t have ultrasonic sensors (USS) have Tesla Vision Park Assist. Some older cars with USS can choose between the older version of Park Assist that uses those sensors or vision-based Park Assist. I don’t know what’s available in New Zealand.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Well, if you go in the car's software page and do a check for updates, that will tell you what software version the car should have. If there are no udpates available, you're up to date... according to what Tesla decided your car should get as someone else pointed out.

The only real way to know what update the car “should” have at any moment is to become unhealthfully addicted to following Tesla news online and spend many hours each week studying the latest developments here, Twitter, Teslafi and other places.

The interesting updates are all rolled out incrementally to increasing percentages of the fleet fyi