Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make the $1875 work for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming you are talking about the Tax credit, you claim it on your taxes for this year (filed next year) assuming you have at least 1875 in tax liability. Its not a rebate, and it does not come off the price of the car right now.

It’s NOT a refundable credit, so if you don’t owe $1875 or more, then you won’t see all of it.

Say you owe $1875 and get paid one a month and have $156.25 withheld from your paycheck. Come April when you file your taxes you would get a check back for $1875.

Say you only owe $1000, get paid once a month, and have $83.33 withheld from each paycheck. Then in April you would get a refund check back for $1000 and the remaining $875 disappears.

I typically get a $1900 refund every year on my tax return. I'm wondering if that'll hopefully increase by something come next year when I do my return.

How much do you owe though? You could just be really overpaying (via paycheck withholding) OR you could have enough deductions and stuff that you don’t actually owe anything. That’s an important distinction on if this tax credit will do anything for you.

(Also, adjust your withholding so you’re not giving the government such a big loan for free. You should be as close to owing zero and getting a zero refund as possible. I’ve been able to almost nail the last couple years with like a $37 refund one year and owing like $11 the next...)

I typically get a $1900 refund every year on my tax return. I'm wondering if that'll hopefully increase by something come next year when I do my return.

if u are getting a refund than this won’t help ., you want to adjust your withholding so at end of year you have a liability of at least 1875 ....this is not a refund

if u are getting a refund than this won’t help ., you want to adjust your withholding so at end of year you have a liability of at least 1875 ....this is not a refund

That’s incorrect. If he has at least $1875 in federal income tax liability for 2019, he will earn the full credit. If he would get a tax refund without the credit as he typically does the refund will be increased by $1875, as long as his total federal income tax for 2019 is at least $1875.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
That’s incorrect. If he has at least $1875 in federal income tax liability for 2019, he will earn the full credit. If he would get a tax refund without the credit as he typically does the refund will be increased by $1875, as long as his total federal income tax for 2019 is at least $1875.

If he is getting refund he over withheld ..this is a credit not refund ..

you just answered what I have been saying ..if you are getting a refund you have no liability
No, it just means you don't owe anything on April 15th above what you've already paid in. If my IRS tax amounted to $10,000 and my employer withheld $11,900 then I'm due a refund of $1900. If I bought a Tesla this year and my IRS tax and employer withholding remained the same then my refund is $11,900 - ($10,000 - $1875).

The basic equation for the refund the OP will get next April is:

refund = amount_withheld - max( irs_tax - 1875, 0 )

The OP needs to look on his tax form to see how much his total IRS tax was last year (forget about refunds, etc).

you just answered what I have been saying ..if you are getting a refund you have no liability

You can get a refund and still have a tax liability. Your tax liability is the amount of taxes that you are required to pay each year. The refund you get is the positive difference between your tax liability and what you've paid through withholdings.

Changing your withholdings changes your refund, it does not change your liability.

The EV tax credit applies against your liability. Whether or not you get a refund has no bearing on whether you can benefit from the tax credit.

If anyone's still not sure - look at your tax forms from the previous year (assuming your financial situation hasn't changed much this year) - if you're using form 1040 check out line 15 (as of year 2018). That is your total annual tax liability. If it's greater than or equal to the tax credit then you will get the full benefit. If it's less than the tax credit then you'll get whatever that amount is.

I should also point out that line 16 is the taxes already withheld (that you paid). If that amount is less than line 15, then you owe taxes. If it's more than line 15, then you get a refund.

Assuming your financial situation is the same for the year you're getting the EV credit, if you owe money, the tax credit applies against that, so if you owed 1875 and are getting the 1875 EV credit, you're free and clear. If you don't owe anything, and the IRS doesn't owe you anything, you get 1875. If the IRS owes you a refund, you get that as well as the 1875. Again, assuming your total annual tax liability is at least 1875.

You go through the process to calculate he taxes you owe. Then you look to see how much you paid. If you paid too much, you get refund. If you didn't pay enough, you have to pay more taxes.

The credit decreases the amount of tax owed.

Taxes calculated - tax credit. The you figure out if you paid too much or too little.

There is no carryover and tax owed cannot be less than 0