Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me choose: M3P inventory vs. Highland?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ride quality is extremely subjective but handling can actually be measured to some extent. The Gs a car can maintain in a turn and by the average lap time difference from one setup to the other, for example.
There is still the compromise between ride and handling in play with your cars, you just may have found a better balance than most of us.
What models do you and your wife each have?
We both have 2018 Performance Model 3s. Like I said she has the Comfort Adjustable Mountain Pass kit I've got the Sport kit. If you're skeptical just check out the Press in all the threads on these two kits. They're pretty amazing. Both improve handling significantly but her kit actually improved the ride and that's not subjective that's everybody who's been in the car thinks it rides way better than the stock suspension. This does not mean that there is no compromise between ride and handling, it just means that given the liabilities of the older suspensions with premature recruitment of the bump stops, rather stiff compression valving, rather soft rebound valving, and stiff springs, it was fairly easy to improve both ride and handling. So yes there are trade-offs but at the same time you can improve both, particularly relative to the early cars. The ride on the newer cars is significantly better, without a huge handling penalty and it will be interesting to see what the handling is like on the Highland edition.

Reactions: Ti317
If you soften up the ride you lose road feel. I just test drove a ModelS and found it too cushy of a ride. The “Rough ride” of the M3P is what I call sporty.
Then again I live in Florida and we have great roads.
You can get incredible handling or a smooth ride you don’t get both. What you get is a compromise between the two. It’s your choice where that compromise ends up.
With cheap suspension that is the case. With quality components and proper engineering, you can have it all. Go drive a Porsche and tell me that does t have both a smooth ride and excellent road feel.

We both have 2018 Performance Model 3s. Like I said she has the Comfort Adjustable Mountain Pass kit I've got the Sport kit. If you're skeptical just check out the Press in all the threads on these two kits. They're pretty amazing. Both improve handling significantly but her kit actually improved the ride and that's not subjective that's everybody who's been in the car thinks it rides way better than the stock suspension. This does not mean that there is no compromise between ride and handling, it just means that given the liabilities of the older suspensions with premature recruitment of the bump stops, rather stiff compression valving, rather soft rebound valving, and stiff springs, it was fairly easy to improve both ride and handling. So yes there are trade-offs but at the same time you can improve both, particularly relative to the early cars. The ride on the newer cars is significantly better, without a huge handling penalty and it will be interesting to see what the handling is like on the Highland edition.
I just drove the Model 3 Highland dual motor long range at our local Tesla store in Fort myers. Holy s***! It was amazingly smooth quiet, refined, and a huge jump above even the 2023 Long Range model 3 which had significant refinement relative to our 2018 cars. I was blown away by the highland. I am not a big fan of the turn signal arrangement. Don't care that much about the driving control being moved to the screen, but I'm sure I could get used to those things. And there are aftermarket kits that will allow you to essentially have turn signals on the steering column. But the refinement and comfort in the Highland are most impressive.

With cheap suspension that is the case. With quality components and proper engineering, you can have it all. Go drive a Porsche and tell me that does t have both a smooth ride and excellent road feel.
Not saying you can’t have a smooth ride and great handling but there is an inverse relationship between ride quality and handling. Yes you will have a great feel behind the wheel of a Porsche especially a Panamera drive a track prepared Carrera and you will see the difference in ride quality.
There are all sorts of tricks that high end manufacturers employ such as using the seating to absorb some or the road punishment

Not saying you can’t have a smooth ride and great handling but there is an inverse relationship between ride quality and handling. Yes you will have a great feel behind the wheel of a Porsche especially a Panamera drive a track prepared Carrera and you will see the difference in ride quality.
There are all sorts of tricks that high end manufacturers employ such as using the seating to absorb some or the road punishment
That Carrera will still ride better and handle better than any Tesla.

I placed an order for a M3 highland SR a few days ago, but after that, I noticed current inventory Model 3 Performance was priced at around the same price.
(I currently own a '21 M3SR, which I plan to sell, 51k mi.)

So, now I'm wondering which one is the better choice? Keep the Highland SR (Feb/March estimate delivery) or switch to the model 3 P existing inventory?

Highland SR = $38,990 + taxes and fees. 272 mile. Newer car, smoother ride, more features etc. (no 7500 tax credit applicable or loyalty)

M3P inventory = $38,390 + taxes and fees. 315 mile. More bang for buck, more range, better sound, much faster. Can use loyalty (i think?) (7500 tax credit factored in)

What do you guys think?

Also, is it easy enough to switch my order from highland to existing inventory? Can I transfer the $250 to new order? Will they apply my loyalty also?
Performance all day long-u will love ❤️ it

I feel u and heard that.
In reality it's almost impossible to make a bad choice. You've got a choice between great and differently great. I just drove the new Highland long range and although it is not a match for the outgoing performance model some ways, is just an exceptionally smooth and refined car. Both are amazing.

I keep getting these offers to keep FSD, get a free upgrade in paint color and free supercharging for X miles offers if I buy something before the end of the month. However, Tesla still doesn't have a performance variant of the new model 3 available so there's nothing for me to purchase. Even if I wanted to settle for just the long range new model, they aren't available until May.

If they want to blow out their inventory, they can lower prices and I'm sure they will get sold. If I just wanted the same car I have now, I'd have bought one already.

So unless Tesla extends this "special offer," I'm likely to just get whatever they're selling as the new M3P in the default color minus the (mostly useless to me) FSD option. The delay is frustrating and the multiple attempts to lure me into buying something I don't want makes it moreso.

Best,

Reactions: dfwatt and Ti317
That Carrera will still ride better and handle better than any Tesla.
A track prepared one for sure but I’ve seen many Carreras swap ends at the track when the driver chickens out and lifts throttle too abruptly.
If you feel it appropriate to compare and contrast a half million dollar Gemballa Porsche with say a a $100k Plaid, you’ve already ceded more ground than you can ever recover.

A track prepared one for sure but I’ve seen many Carreras swap ends at the track when the driver chickens out and lifts throttle too abruptly.
If you feel it appropriate to compare and contrast a half million dollar Gemballa Porsche with say a a $100k Plaid, you’ve already ceded more ground than you can ever recover.
A standard Carrera is not a half million dollars.

Yes, any one who doesn't have the skill to drive will end up in a bad situation. But that doesn't change that every single Tesla simultaneously has worse handling and a harsher ride than every single Porsche made in the last 40 years or so.

A standard Carrera is not a half million dollars.

Yes, any one who doesn't have the skill to drive will end up in a bad situation. But that doesn't change that every single Tesla simultaneously has worse handling and a harsher ride than every single Porsche made in the last 40 years or so.
I mentioned the ride of a track prepared Carrera that is why I referenced the Gemballa.
My point was that there is an inverse relationship between ride and handling not that Tesla handles better than or rides better than Porsche.
Don’t know how many Porsches you’ve driven but I have driven a few and one of them for several thousand miles. They are great cars no doubt but the new Model S has a ride that compares favorably. I can’t say how it handles because I have yet to track any Tesla and I suspect my track days are over. Father time is undefeated and I don’t think that many septuagenarians have more than a lap or two left in them.

I keep getting these offers to keep FSD, get a free upgrade in paint color and free supercharging for X miles offers if I buy something before the end of the month. However, Tesla still doesn't have a performance variant of the new model 3 available so there's nothing for me to purchase. Even if I wanted to settle for just the long range new model, they aren't available until May.

If they want to blow out their inventory, they can lower prices and I'm sure they will get sold. If I just wanted the same car I have now, I'd have bought one already.

So unless Tesla extends this "special offer," I'm likely to just get whatever they're selling as the new M3P in the default color minus the (mostly useless to me) FSD option. The delay is frustrating and the multiple attempts to lure me into buying something I don't want makes it moreso.

Best,
Ya inventory clear out-wait for incentives, use a referral code. Better to wait and get what u want.

We went with a Highland, if all goes well we take delivery this Friday!

We traded in a 2021 MYLR (well, sold it to a dealer) after the test drive of the Highland. The ride is great, the improvements are HUGE and compared to a 2021, the Highland build quality looks a lot better.

If I had a newer MYLR with more upgrades... I probably wouldn't have sold it to get the Highland. That said, given the choice between a new MYLR and the Highland... even without incentives we went with the Highland.

Just my 2 cents! Go with what fits you and your needs.

Reactions: dfwatt and Ti317

We traded in a 2021 MYLR (well, sold it to a dealer) after the test drive of the Highland. The ride is great, the improvements are HUGE and compared to a 2021, the Highland build quality looks a lot better.

If I had a newer MYLR with more upgrades... I probably wouldn't have sold it to get the Highland. That said, given the choice between a new MYLR and the Highland... even without incentives we went with the Highland.

Enjoy! And many miles of trouble free operation to you.

Yeah I was blown away by the highland. Just so smooth and refined. I love my tuned up Mountain Pass performance model 3 but that thing is the smoothest Cruisemobile I've ever driven

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23

I’m envious

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
All I see is the ambient lighting……and I am hooked. A smoother ride aka improved suspension, quieter, more refined—-I’m envious
I suspect that the reactions to the ambient lighting will be highly varied. As are the clearly mostly negative reactions to the absence stalks and the new control architectures. Nobody will complain about how smooth and refine the car is except maybe for a few who still miss internal combustion noise. But as they say in the Microsoft world, that's not a feature it's a bug.