Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me choose: M3P inventory vs. Highland?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect that the reactions to the ambient lighting will be highly varied. As are the clearly mostly negative reactions to the absence stalks and the new control architectures. Nobody will complain about how smooth and refine the car is except maybe for a few who still miss internal combustion noise. But as they say in the Microsoft world, that's not a feature it's a bug.

The only things I'm interested in are:

needs to be at LEAST as quick as the previous model
quieter cabin
improved suspension

I don't like the stalk-less signalling. That's just a stupid idea...kinda like the whole yoke thing. I could care less about the lighting in the cabin. I think it's rather silly and a gimmick, but I'm hoping it can just be turned off for those that don't want it.

There's still no product available so it's all moot at this juncture. Even the LR is saying May/June availability now.

Best,

The only things I'm interested in are:

needs to be at LEAST as quick as the previous model
quieter cabin
improved suspension

I don't like the stalk-less signalling. That's just a stupid idea...kinda like the whole yoke thing. I could care less about the lighting in the cabin. I think it's rather silly and a gimmick, but I'm hoping it can just be turned off for those that don't want it.

There's still no product available so it's all moot at this juncture. Even the LR is saying May/June availability now.

Best,
There are a bunch of aftermarket kits coming out that will allow you to have stalk drive mode control and turn signals. The demand for Highland is crazy so yes it has been pushed out in terms of May or june. I'm pretty interested in the new performance model but I don't think I can justify spending that kind of money given that we're only talking about a few tenths of a second quicker to 0 to 60 and my current 2018 M3P has more performance than I can use safely on the road. Would be nice to get a 0 to 60 in about 2.7 seconds but not essential. Definitely quieter and smoother though. An interesting question is what's happened to the performance boost feature because people report that it is not available on the highland. That's a concern.

Last edited:

No product? I took delivery March 26, 2024 in Portland, OR. They aren't yet available on the east side?

Can say for sure - the interior lighting, both foot well and the color ring (around the bathtub) CAN be turned off at owner's discretion.

It's hard for me to tell for sure as I don't have measurement tools but I did have a 'seat of the pants' impression that the Highland 2024 M3LR is a little faster than was my 2022 M3LR. It definitely has a better suspension that is improving as I work through the first 500 or so miles. It feels a lot like Bilstein shocks to me and I put Bilstiens on most cars and all trucks since I first discovered them. Nice tight feel to the car - quieter without losing the "fun to drive" that I liked so much about the earlier model.

Reactions: dfwatt
No product? I took delivery March 26, 2024 in Portland, OR. They aren't yet available on the east side?

Can say for sure - the interior lighting, both foot well and the color ring (around the bathtub) CAN be turned off at owner's discretion.

It's hard for me to tell for sure as I don't have measurement tools but I did have a 'seat of the pants' impression that the Highland 2024 M3LR is a little faster than was my 2022 M3LR. It definitely has a better suspension that is improving as I work through the first 500 or so miles. It feels a lot like Bilstein shocks to me and I put Bilstiens on most cars and all trucks since I first discovered them. Nice tight feel to the car - quieter without losing the "fun to drive" that I liked so much about the earlier model.
How does it corner, battery consumption, radio is spose to be crisper, louder, seats are they more softer

How does it corner, battery consumption, radio is spose to be crisper, louder, seats are they more softer
Hi Moe,
I hate being impolite but I really don't think I'm ready to give an evaluation of the car yet as for assorted reasons I haven't been able to spend a good amount of time driving it. I do think it corners as well as the older - but it's different. The sound system is better but it's so far difficult to say why. The seats softer? I don't think so, but the do seem to have a better range of adjustment for me.
You see? I'm pretty useless at this point.
I can say, and don't think I've seen this in posts - the overhead interior lights are definitely brighter!

Hi Moe,
I hate being impolite but I really don't think I'm ready to give an evaluation of the car yet as for assorted reasons I haven't been able to spend a good amount of time driving it. I do think it corners as well as the older - but it's different. The sound system is better but it's so far difficult to say why. The seats softer? I don't think so, but the do seem to have a better range of adjustment for me.
I can say, and don't think I've seen this in posts - the overhead interior lights are definitely brighter!
Hi Moe,
Hmm brighter dome lights is good, are there foot well lights by the floor mats, how about the model 3 door stills, do the illuminate. I am thinking up getting 2024 but I want to make sure the little things are improved, cause in reality my 2022 is quite nice-aside from summon feature.

Hmm brighter dome lights is good, are there foot well lights by the floor mats, how about the model 3 door stills, do the illuminate. I am thinking up getting 2024 but I want to make sure the little things are improved, cause in reality my 2022 is quite nice-aside from summon feature.
Obviously priorities vary but if you like smooth and quiet you will love Highland. It's quite a bit smoother even than a 2023 model 3. Which in turn was a lot smoother and at least somewhat quieter than the earlier generation 2018 - 2019.

Last edited:
Reactions: ken_neth
Wish TSLA would actually launch the new M3P already. I wonder how much of the current sales challenge is due to folks like me who can't get the product they want? Or maybe a lot of potential buyers are hip to the constant price adjustments and think they'll get a better deal if they just hang on the sidelines waiting for prices to drop some more? Also, I fully expected my M3P to depreciate over time, but in just 4 years the value is a bit less than half of what I paid. I dunno if that's people pricing in the battery longevity or just a reaction to the continuing reductions in pricing for newer models.

I'm long-term bullish on their prospects, but the gyrations in pricing and uncertainty around promised product delivery are giving me pause.

Best,

Wish TSLA would actually launch the new M3P already. I wonder how much of the current sales challenge is due to folks like me who can't get the product they want? Or maybe a lot of potential buyers are hip to the constant price adjustments and think they'll get a better deal if they just hang on the sidelines waiting for prices to drop some more? Also, I fully expected my M3P to depreciate over time, but in just 4 years the value is a bit less than half of what I paid. I dunno if that's people pricing in the battery longevity or just a reaction to the continuing reductions in pricing for newer models.

I'm long-term bullish on their prospects, but the gyrations in pricing and uncertainty around promised product delivery are giving me pause.

Best,
They just did and folks minds are about to be blown when you see the price AFTER the $7500 tax credit. And the ZERO to SIXTY time is WITHOUT the 1-ft rollout. So 2.9 is 2.9. The old M3P's 3.1 is closer to 3.2 or even 3.3.

Reactions: dfwatt and Ritz
Sigh...I'll probably get a new M3P anyway, but I was hoping there would be a range improvement over the previous version. I rarely use mine for travel, but 296 miles is 45 miles less than the LR model and slightly lower than the model it replaced.

The tax rebate is nice, but I likely won't qualify for it. :)

Best,

Sigh...I'll probably get a new M3P anyway, but I was hoping there would be a range improvement over the previous version. I rarely use mine for travel, but 296 miles is 45 miles less than the LR model and slightly lower than the model it replaced.

The tax rebate is nice, but I likely won't qualify for it. :)

Best,
Keep in mind that this is on the much stricter new EPA testing cycle so 296 mi is probably closer to 310 to 315 on the old testing cycle. Plus the forged wheels and the adjustable suspension are big. Previously if you really wanted the best performance particularly handling and braking from the model 3 even the performance model you had to get an aftermarket suspension like the great kits from Mountain Pass, and then spend serious money on some lighter wheels. This car comes pretty well equipped already, although it'll be interesting to see how many of the hardcore track junkies think that the sport suspension setting is still too soft. I would wager the really hardcore track guys will probably swap it out but we'll see. In any case it is a massive massive value at the money they are asking for this. There's nothing even close anywhere near its price.

Reactions: adizon