Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me choose: M3P inventory vs. Highland?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order for a M3 highland SR a few days ago, but after that, I noticed current inventory Model 3 Performance was priced at around the same price.
(I currently own a '21 M3SR, which I plan to sell, 51k mi.)

So, now I'm wondering which one is the better choice? Keep the Highland SR (Feb/March estimate delivery) or switch to the model 3 P existing inventory?

Highland SR = $38,990 + taxes and fees. 272 mile. Newer car, smoother ride, more features etc. (no 7500 tax credit applicable or loyalty)

M3P inventory = $38,390 + taxes and fees. 315 mile. More bang for buck, more range, better sound, much faster. Can use loyalty (i think?) (7500 tax credit factored in)

What do you guys think?

Also, is it easy enough to switch my order from highland to existing inventory? Can I transfer the $250 to new order? Will they apply my loyalty also?

The ghost of all of us who paid $60k for an M3P in 2022 will never forgive you for not getting the Performance… ;)

This is not a complaint (stating this up front) because I firmly believe that what I paid "back then" isnt something to complain about when someone else gets a similar thing for less money. With that out of the way, here is my purchase in December of 2018

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 1.20.01 PM.png

I got a 7500 tax credit back then (that I had to file for in 2019) while someone now can get that credit off the car. I got a state rebate of I think 2500?

I got EAP only because "Autopilot" didnt exist as a package by itself back then, so it was EAP or nothing.

Im personally not really into 1st year launch model vehicles, but with the model 3 performance I didnt really have a choice, if I wanted the car, it was gonna be this one. I was tied into a lease that was ending, and I didnt want to buy out the BMW lease at the time.

If the information listed by the OP is accurate, for me, its a complete no brainer to take a performance vehicle now, vs a SR vehicle later, even if "later" = new model. Everyones value system is different, though, so this is one of those things that I really dont get people asking online strangers "what should I do?" (sort of like "what color should I purchase? threads).

I have a Highland on order now.
For the same price, I would not switch to a M3P.

The primary draws for me are the softer suspension and quieter ride.

The speed and improved sound are nice. To me though, they are “oooh shiny” distractions. The nicer drive is something I will notice every time I drive the car.

This is a purely subjective question though. The only person that can answer this for you, is you.

The speed and improved sound are nice. To me though, they are “oooh shiny” distractions. The nicer drive is something I will notice every time I drive the car.

This is a purely subjective question though. The only person that can answer this for you, is you.
This is sort of what I’m leaning towards also…as this is also a car that is used with family often and that means comfort > performance

I can certainly understand why one would go with the base Highland over the M3P. Seems like the ride quality and quietness is vastly improved, so if that's what you value most then it's a no-brainer. For me, I'm used to driving sports cars, so driving dynamics/speed/cool factor is worth more to me (but I'm also in my 20s with no kids)

Reactions: Tezla1

If the information listed by the OP is accurate, for me, its a complete no brainer to take a performance vehicle now, vs a SR vehicle later, even if "later" = new model. Everyones value system is different, though, so this is one of those things that I really dont get people asking online strangers "what should I do?" (sort of like "what color should I purchase? threads).

I agree with you on the "color choice" question, but it is not the same as the OP's question. The former is purely a subjective choice, while the latter is part of the OP's researching differences between two products at roughly the same price. I can relate to my similar question since I haven't been following the 3 lately as much as the S and X which I own. I learned, for instance, that the 3P came with summer tires while the others had all seasons -- it's the non-subjective factual information that helps potential buyers.

You can upgrade tires and suspension to suite whatever type of ride you want. However, a SR cannot be upgraded to go faster, or to improve traction in icy / snowy climates. The SR model's audio system also sucks IMO and would be difficult to upgrade to match that of the LR and P models. From my perspective, the LR model provides the greatest versatility because you get AWD, a better audio system, and more power with the option to add acceleration boost.

I placed an order for a M3 highland SR a few days ago, but after that, I noticed current inventory Model 3 Performance was priced at around the same price.
(I currently own a '21 M3SR, which I plan to sell, 51k mi.)

So, now I'm wondering which one is the better choice? Keep the Highland SR (Feb/March estimate delivery) or switch to the model 3 P existing inventory?

Highland SR = $38,990 + taxes and fees. 272 mile. Newer car, smoother ride, more features etc. (no 7500 tax credit applicable or loyalty)

M3P inventory = $38,390 + taxes and fees. 315 mile. More bang for buck, more range, better sound, much faster. Can use loyalty (i think?) (7500 tax credit factored in)

What do you guys think?

Also, is it easy enough to switch my order from highland to existing inventory? Can I transfer the $250 to new order? Will they apply my loyalty also?
A 2023 M3P, hands down. AWD, MUCH faster, and a better audio system. If you think the ride on the M3P is too stiff, get MPP comfort coil-overs or downgrade the wheels to 18".

Personally I think the gen 2 M3 looks better, save for the tail lights. The front of the gen 3 is a little too boring.

Lastly, no stalks. Like seriously, most people seem to struggle to use turn signals already; taking away stalks in place of buttons on the steering wheel is just dumb.

The SR model's audio system also sucks IMO

I’ve had both a Model S with the UHFS package and a base Model 3.

I expected there to be a far bigger difference between the two than there is. IMO the base audio in the 3RWD is actually quite good. There is noticeably less bass without the sub but in terms of general audio quality I don’t find it lacking at all and you’d be hard pressed to identify the other 6 missing speakers in a blind.

There are aftermarket sub options and I bet that gets you like 95% of the performance of the “premium” audio if you want to go that route.

In short: I wouldn’t base a purchase decision on the audio packages.

I’ve had both a Model S with the UHFS package and a base Model 3.

I expected there to be a far bigger difference between the two than there is. IMO the base audio in the 3RWD is actually quite good. There is noticeably less bass without the sub but in terms of general audio quality I don’t find it lacking at all and you’d be hard pressed to identify the other 6 missing speakers in a blind.

There are aftermarket sub options and I bet that gets you like 95% of the performance of the “premium” audio if you want to go that route.

In short: I wouldn’t base a purchase decision on the audio packages.
Before my M3, I had a 2018 Audi SQ5 with a Bang and Olufsen system. The system in the LR/P comes very close to Audi's B&O system, whereas the SR's system sounds dull in comparison to my ears. Maybe it was just the lack of bass, but I felt the mid and treble were also lacking.

I too wouldn't base a purchase decision on audio package alone. The entire proposition needs to be looked at as a whole. If you're not an audiophile and don't care about driving performance, then the SR makes perfect sense. After all, why pay more for features you're not going to use or appreciate?

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I say stick with your current model 3. But if you’re dead set on getting a new car, I’d say the performance is a great deal.
I support this message.

@Tezla1: if you really like the gen3 model and don't need the upgrades the performance model adds, then wait a year for Tesla to work out some of the bugs in the gen3 model first. Don't buy a first model year.

If you really want a faster M3 with a better audio system, then get the 2023 M3P.

Financially, keeping your 21 SR is the best choice.