Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to open Frunk of 2017 mS when battery died, and pull cord broke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a tough one - pull cords with red pull loops on the left side - we once pulled too hard, broke and never fixed.
And now car sat for too long - 12v battery died.

any creative ideas how to get hood open?
or how to jump 12v battery without opening hood?

ps why oh why did Tesla move pull cord OUTSIDE and jump plugs INSIDE?? loss of safely with loss of serviceability........

If your doors are unlocked, you may be able to drip charge the 12V battery through the ODB port. I think the 12V leads go through a 5A fuse, so you'd need to limit current to 12V 5A. It would be slow but should allow you to turn the car on and open the frunk to get access to the jump terminals. Check with Service Center or someone knowledgeable before you attempt this, to make sure you won't cause any damage!

drip charging may put MCU in a bad position due to low voltage, booting and resetting constantly. It is known to damage older units at least.
I am motivated to solve this one myself, vs paying arm and a leg to service center (guess 10 hours dis/assembly at least?). So option "pay some one smart to do it" is not what i'd be asking about:)

Have tools, willing to get hands greasy:) My best plan so far is to pull the belly protection and reach in towards the lock. Hoping ither unlock it or jump 12v to the power cable to let it unlock itself.

any better ideas?

Reactions: brkaus