Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to order a model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do I order a model x?
I regret ordering online for Fremont delivery (Model S, 2016 December, but the conditions that make me regret it still carry on today for all models). Since I only have a count of 1 delivery, my evidence has a low sample size, but here's my recommendation from my tiny sample size anyway:

Order at a store that you have heard good things about for delivery and service.

So my considered opinion is that the above people who gave the "obvious" answers are wrong. I learned the very hard way.

Also, prepare a bank check(s) for final delivery, rather than paying online, so that you can go over the checklist for what you should check during delivery. Do not pay anything before passing the car for 100% perfection for your desired conditions. (The minimum is the order deposit, of course, so that is also the maximum you should pay before you accept the car in its final condition.) Plan to reject the delivery so that Tesla will fix the specified items (i.e., have your plan A to go home WITHOUT the car and WITH your bank check(s); only if it's perfect do you go to plan B and take it home). Do not pay for it (regardless of how they pressure you or lie to you) until they have fixed each item to your satisfaction. Do not accept the "we will fix it later" claim; they will hurry to fix it if you haven't taken delivery and haven't paid, but they will drag their feet once you pay, and often won't fix things. Tesla WILL insist that you pay before you see or check the car; there's a simple word you can learn that most experienced Tesla buyers know very well how to handle that request: "No.".

Here is the checklist: Model X Delivery Checklist

Note that most credit unions and banks prefer to hand you a check to pay to the manufacturer upon delivery SO THAT YOU CAN REJECT IT by not paying, because the banks and credit unions would rather give you a loan on a car that is in good condition than them paying for a piece of junk that (1) you won't pay the loan off and (2) they couldn't resell because it had problems, otherwise banks and credit unions would just always wire, ACH, and mail funds direct to the seller. There's a reason institutions use the policies they do, and this is it in this case; you are SUPPOSED to reject the car except in the cases that it's in finally good condition, and so that's why they do it like that. If you get scared by The Big Corporation insisting upon payment before verification of good product, then learn to get over that, because they're wrong and you're right. There's no need to be fussy; be matter of fact about it if you like: "I'm not paying before I go through an hour of review of the car. You can hold the keys until the final operational checks, and then I'll call you out of the store while we do those. I will take a while and won't pay until then. Thank you so much!" If they flat out refuse, then leave without paying.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy and P85_DA