Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to order LR RWD / cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

First post, sorry I couldn't find any answer using the search feature so I figured someone might know.

Is it worth it to order "off menu" the LR RWD vs the AWD? What's the cost savings? And if I wanted to make such an order, how does someone start the "off menu" process?

Thanks!

Personally I had a hard time justifying the extra $4,000 that Tesla wanted for AWD vs RWD when I bought our LR RWD models. I don’t need AWD handling in Southern California and the extra .5 seconds 0-60 time is meaningless to me. And the car has 15 miles less range.

Had the stealth model been available, that would have been the next best option for me. It theoretically would have been $6K more than the LR RWD assuming the price spread would have been the same. But now the 0-60 time drops to 3.2 seconds, maybe even less with the current software update. That makes the car super fast and makes me feel better about spending the extra money.

I just don’t see the value proposition for LR AWD in warm weather climates. It’s frustrating for people in Southern California who want the extra range and nicer interior but don’t need the second motor. I hope Tesla brings the LR RWD back some day.