Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to plan a trip in Tesla to get the highest mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so i have been reading alot in what the best way to drive your tesla to get the most amount of mileage...here is a good videos...the graph is the best thing you can follow and it really works and help you achieve the best mileage possible....also the AC, Music and hard acceleration and hilly areas, frequent stops does affect your mileage consumption.
Just wanted to share

• Disagree
Reactions: Ostrichsak
You could learn how to get the most mileage from William Cimillo, a New York City bus driver who one day in 1947 went on a 1,300 mile detour with his bus…to Florida.

Or, a quote attributed to Horace Greeley might inspire you: "Go West, young man…"

Wait…or did you mean to ask how to get the most mileage per kWh?

Reactions: GSP
Tha
The amount of electricity used for "music" as you put is so nominal it isn't even a rounding error in the BMS algorithm.
interesting point but I noticed a significant drop in mileage for playing music loud. Keeping in mind it has extra amp for subwoofer.
I assume algorithm can be changed with a software push if it was done that way. Not sure to be honest

interesting point but I noticed a significant drop in mileage for playing music loud.
Lol, no you didn’t.

The MCU and UHFS sub amps combined total 560 watts.

That of course doesn’t mean they’re drawing 560 watts continuously. Even playing “loud music” it’s probably only half that over a period of time. Let’s round up to 300 watts, so over an hour your loud music has consumed 300wh, or about the amount of energy your car uses to travel one mile.

Again, this is being really generous. Realistically the difference between “loud” music and quiet music, in terms of power consumption, is probably half that. So maybe half a mile of range in an hour.

That’s not “significant”, it’s barely measurable given all of the other variables at play.

Lol, no you didn’t.

The MCU and UHFS sub amps combined total 560 watts.

That of course doesn’t mean they’re drawing 560 watts continuously. Even playing “loud music” it’s probably only half that over a period of time. Let’s round up to 300 watts, so over an hour your loud music has consumed 300wh, or about the amount of energy your car uses to travel one mile.

Again, this is being really generous. Realistically the difference between “loud” music and quiet music, in terms of power consumption, is probably half that. So maybe half a mile of range in an hour.

That’s not “significant”, it’s barely measurable given all of the other variables at play.
Good to know. But I wonder why these amp installers tell us that our mileage will drop with the bigger amps. I know a few people modified their sound systems significantly and complained it dropped their mileage. Wonder why. Also my mileage dropped as I played music but you claiming it didn’t so I wonder what did?

Good to know. But I wonder why these amp installers tell us that our mileage will drop with the bigger amps. I know a few people modified their sound systems significantly and complained it dropped their mileage. Wonder why. Also my mileage dropped as I played music but you claiming it didn’t so I wonder what did?
Way too many variables to answer that with any certainty. Even upgraded aftermarket systems use very little electricity compared to what's required for forward momentum.

I don't think an installer that would claim that has actually owned an electric vehicle. I haven't noticed a difference in mileage at all. I have about 1150 watts between my two amps, plus whatever the two rear door speakers draw. The amps' duty cycle is too low to make a dent in mileage:

I also haven't found hard acceleration to really impact range as long as I'm not using it to go beyond my normal cruising speed. An EV's drivetrain is incredibly efficient and does not use stored energy (battery) the same way a gas or diesel engine does. An EV motor doesn't need to run "rich" to keep knock at bay while accelerating hard, so feel free to smoke everyone at a stoplight even if you're on a road trip.

Drag increases as the square of speed. That’s the killer to an EVs range. As you drive faster the increase on the cars drag and energy needed to push it along greatly increases and is NOT linear. If you want to focus on the one thing you have some control over that has the most impact. That’s the one.
the difference in range between going 60 as opposed to 80 is big.

Reactions: DavidB
Because when you crank that music loud, you will press that pedal down.

Reactions: DavidB and X-pilot