Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove clear-coat/paint overspray from windows???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VT_EE

Apr 22, 2017
Earth
I recently had some body work done on my M3 due to an accident. I noticed the other day there is a fine mist of something on the windshield, which is very noticeable when the sun shines though at a low angle. The glare is pretty bad. It's like there are tiny dots all over the place. You can't see it at all during other times of the day. Upon further inspection, it's also on the outside mirrors and is visible when the sun shines from the rear of the car. I assume this is some residue from the body shop painting that settled on these surfaces. Clear-coat perhaps? Washing it with Windex does nothing. Is there a way to remove this?

I had this, too!!!! It was driving me crazy until I had the windshield replaced due to some hail damage. My S had body work prior to that. I bet it was clear coat overspray.

Since it’s glass, I wonder if a Mr. Clean sponge would take care of it? Or clay bar?

Had it on a section of my car’s windshield after due bill paint dust issues on 3 spots on the front of the car and our PPF detailer couldn’t get it off with things he tried. He also suggested a razor blade but cautioned about scratching the glass which would be permanent then. He said he was reluctant to attempt for that reason so took it back to Tesla. The guys at the SvC tried a few things, but at first they couldn’t see the problem (I took them photos as proof of where the issue was). With light hitting it at the right angle like you said it’s very visible, annoying and under the right set of circumstances could be dangerous driving. They ended up going the razor blade route. The service order did list it as overspray of clear coat.

If you do have this issue, you may not realize it right away. For me it showed up in the early morning or early evening when the sun was lower in the sky. I don’t think it’s an issue from factory but from body shop work occasionally. I posted photos on TMC at some point illustrating but here’s two more for anyone wondering what we see.

82CD620C-4C14-406B-A739-2BA52E259408.jpeg

A70E477D-E70D-449B-AEB0-383C46554AFC.jpeg

It can be tricky to photo. As I recall I parked with the sun on the glass so I could see it and had to sit as far back as I could away from the windshield so the sun wasn’t hitting the camera lens and then set the focus on the windshield.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I have exactly the same issue. Finger nail polish remover seems to get some of it off, but it requires a lot of rubbing. I tried it in a small area of the windshield. I’m hoping the body shop has something that works. Have an appointment tomorrow.