Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove the little metal grate under windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my car was in a wreck, and I took it to a Tesla certified shop that had the best ratings of all. They were very very good. Long story short, I’m not thrilled, and I’m not a nit picky person I don’t think. They kept constantly telling me, “It won’t just be back to factory, it will be better because we have people doing everything, not robots” or whatever. Anyways, they had to remove the windshield at one point and it broke, they said it just happens sometimes on removal, so they got a new one in. No big deal. I got the car back, and I’m cleaning the windshield real good after a light rain, and I notice what at first looks like some stuff inside between the windshield and the metal mesh in there. On closer inspection, it looks like a tool they used to install or remove the window scraped a bunch of paint off that metal grate. I don’t think it’s damaged, or needs replacing, I’d be fine with just a quick repaint, but I don’t know if you can get it out without taking the whole windshield out or disassembling the dash. I’d just have them fix it, but I’ve been without my car for over four months so I’d rather just figure it out on my own unless they can remove it and respray it real easy like.

So two questions for you all I guess.

First of all, is that panel easy to get to/remove, and what’s the process to do it?

And secondly, am I being too nit picky to worry about something like this? Keep in mind, the repair bill was about $21,000 so they got a few bucks out of my insurance company, it was a huge undertaking. (I was not at fault fwiw, but other driver had minimum coverage)

1AA797BA-2796-483E-8698-711B124F42DB.jpeg