Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to replace driver’s side mirror chrome trim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up a 2017 Mode S 75 which has a damaged piece of chrome trim on the driver’s side mirror. Tesla wants nearly $700 to replace the entire mirror but I found the trim piece on eBay for $40. Can someone please help me figure out if this is an easy repair?

I’ve attached pictures of the damage and the piece from eBay.

Attachments

• IMG_6119.jpeg
    IMG_6119.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_6118.jpeg
    IMG_6118.jpeg
    360.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6171.png
    IMG_6171.png
    669.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6172.png
    IMG_6172.png
    350.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_6173.png
    IMG_6173.png
    517.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6174.png
    IMG_6174.png
    504.7 KB · Views: 111
Looking at the steps to remove the mirror assembly includes removing the door trim panel and the door window glass. It's a mess I wouldn't fool with (I am old and impatient now), but perhaps you can lower your cost a little by just asking them to replace the mirror base. Look up the part in the Tesla Parts catalog, and make sure that is what the chrome piece is called, and ask service for an estimate to just replace the base. I think it is this.
EXTERIOR MIRROR ASSEMBLY - BASE - DOMESTIC - LEFT HAND1041315-00-B
1686079916703.png

Upvote 0
I have not done it, but it looks like the chrome base piece is what attaches it to the car. You must remove the bolts from the inside of the car that attach to the base. See attached from Fix Your Tesla.

Attachments

• Door Mirror Assembly - LH (Remove and Replace).pdf
    806 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
I have not done it, but it looks like the chrome base piece is what attaches it to the car. You must remove the bolts from the inside of the car that attach to the base. See attached from Fix Your Tesla.
Yes this is true. At some point on my 2015 MS s similar situation occurred. Basically everything except the painted cover is attached to the door including the wire harness and must be replied. At least that's what they did under warranty .

Edit, after looking at your pics OP, you might wanna take it all apart and see if you can replace just that part.
Another edit, I was not actually under warranty, it was my wife's MX. she hit the garage frame, we paid out of pocket.

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 3.50.00 PM.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
Curiously I've been looking at this EXACT thing. Got my 2017 S 100D with a chunk out of the chrome on the centre lower bit on the (RHD) drivers - How they managed that I don't know and it's something that bugs as *I* see it every time i driver it!!!

This vid shows how to do it, and it looks mainly pop off to get started and then pretty easy.

I've vaguely scouted Ebay/Ali Express for bits, I'm just curious about quality and if it may be wise to replace both sides so they match etc???

Upvote 0
Did you ever solve this one?

I need to do the same and from reseraching this, I think if you take off the painted cap there are 3 torx screws accessible from the top to undo and then you can get the chrome off.

I haven't done it yet, so if anyone can validate this I'd appreciate it.

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 12.52.05 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 12.57.26 PM.png

Upvote 0
Yes that’s exactly it. I was able to carefully pop off the painted cover with a trim removal tool and those are the screws that need to come off. Then I simply replaced the chrome plastic piece I ordered from eBay. Very easy.

Great. What did you use to pull the cap - a spudger type tool or ? Did you break any clips and/or how do you avoid breaking them? Thanks.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0