Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to set the mirrors of my Model S to fold automatically after locking the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 20231113_160710.jpg
    20231113_160710.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 66
Note that there are TWO settings that control the mirror folding.

Vehicle > Mirror Auto-Fold

and

Controls > Auto-Fold Set at This Location

Examine both locations. Check your manual. Search for "fold" or "auto-fold." Let us know what you find!
In my Model S, the setting that folds the mirrors when you lock the car, which the OP asked about, is Control > Mirrors > Mirror Auto Fold. The second setting you referenced is for having the mirrors auto fold at a particular location, for example in your driveway as you approach the garage. You can use one without the other.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
The auto fold doesn't work on my Tesla Model S October 2016.
I have set the mirrors to auto-fold when parked.
I have also set the mirrors to auto-fold in this location (home).
Why don't the mirrors auto-fold whenever I'm parked for at least 30 seconds?

How do you get in your car without a fob? My car only has a fob or the Tesla mobile app.

The key fob is maybe 5 metres away through 2 walls.
Even at the shops, I park the car and the mirrors don't auto fold.
Seems so simple to me: car in park -> mirrors fold.

Yes, the car opens without a fob.
There's only 1 fob, as the 2nd fob stopped working.
The fob is ~5 metres away from the car, through 2 walls and in a drawer.
Just put the fob inside a Faraday bag to block EMFs (electro magnetic fields), but the car still opens without a fob?

There were 2 fobs provided at purchase and yes the original owner.

Test 1: on the iPhone X iOS Version 16.3.1 -> Tesla app (version v4.30.6-2531) -> main page -> I select the unlocked padlock icon -> the padlock closed -> the car's mirrors folded.
Test 2: on the iPhone X iOS Version 16.3.1 -> Tesla app (version v4.30.6-2531) -> main page -> I select the locked padlock icon -> the padlock opened -> the car's mirrors unfolded.

The issue is when I park the car (the mirrors should auto fold) I hop out and get on with life, I shouldn't have to pull out the phone and Tesla app to select the padlock icon.

Surely Tesla has a simple mirror auto-fold when parked, the feature seems so fundamental?

Recently, I found that the automatic folding function of the left and right mirrors of my Model S failed after locking the car.
On my '17, I believe the fob has to be out of range and then it takes another 30 seconds or so. If just walking away i can be a good 50' away before its all done. I wish it was faster.

Should fold as it turns the headlights off too (if set in settings to do so). Maybe enable the headlight option and see if the lights go out?

Reactions: eiger3970
I think I misunderstood NewbyMaye?
I will tried the car's screen padlock, rather than the phone Tesla app padlock, but issue still remains.
@KArnold 30 seconds sounds perfect, as I'm not bothered once to hop out of the car, but if putting the car in Park sometimes when sitting in the car (sometimes multiple times) it could mess up the car or something?
The fob is still in the Faraday bag but it can't be any good, as I walked up to the car with the fob in the Faraday bag and the car welcomed me. I might have to wrap the fob in several layers of alufoil and test.

Solved, here's the process. Somehow the auto lock when walk away I set years ago had somehow been turned off.
Car -> Screen -> Control -> Vehicle -> enable Walk-Away Door Lock -> enable Mirror Auto-Tilt. (free process, not to be used by Tesla Service Centres charging $100's of dollars to those unaware of this process...simply share this process).