Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change to location-based mirror auto unfold behavior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have both our Model S and Model 3 set up to auto-fold mirrors when auto-opening the garage via Homelink, and to auto-unfold when I leave my house. This has been working well for a long time, but after updating my S to 2023.26.7, the mirrors no longer unfold when I leave the house. The 3, which is running 2023.7.10, still works as before.

I couldn't find any setting related to unfolding the mirror based on location. I recall there was a setting somewhere before. The manual just says "When you leave the saved location, mirrors remain folded until your driving speed reaches 31 mph (50 km/h), or until you touch Controls > Unfold Mirrors." I drive slower than 31mph when leaving the house, but previously, the mirrors always unfolded when I reached a certain distance from the house (and the 3 still does this).

Is anyone else seeing this?

I couldn't find any setting related to unfolding the mirror based on location. I recall there was a setting somewhere before. The manual just says "When you leave the saved location, mirrors remain folded until your driving speed reaches 31 mph (50 km/h), or until you touch Controls > Unfold Mirrors." I drive slower than 31mph when leaving the house, but previously, the mirrors always unfolded when I reached a certain distance from the house (and the 3 still does this).

Is anyone else seeing this?

I set my M3 AWD to fold the mirrors upon locking when walking away from the car. They were also set to fold when I arrived home. Whenever leaving home they would unfold about 100 ft away from my house. Had nothing to do with the speed as I am traveling about 5 mph at that distance.

I did see that sentence in the manual about unfolding at 31 mph but it only applies if you don't set the autofolding upon locking the car.

I tried it myself in a parking lot away from home. I disabled the auto folding on lock feature and then manually folded the mirrors. When I returned to the car, the mirrors remained folded until I reached 31mph after leaving the parking lot.

Not sure if any of this relates to a Model S and your problem in particular. I don't have Homelink. From your post it sounds as if Homelink folds your mirrors?

Not sure if any of this relates to a Model S and your problem in particular. I don't have Homelink. From your post it sounds as if Homelink folds your mirrors?
Yes, with Homelink you can choose to automatically fold your mirrors when automatically opening the garage door. I believe there used to be a separate setting somewhere where you could automatically unfold your mirrors when leaving a specific location (e.g., Home), but I can’t find that now.

Note that I have the regular mirror auto fold setting disabled, so my mirrors don’t automatically fold when the car locks. I do that so the mirrors won’t unfold before I back out of my garage.

I have the regular mirror auto fold setting disabled, so my mirrors don’t automatically fold when the car locks. I do that so the mirrors won’t unfold before I back out of my garage.
This is a known defect in Tesla software. With both features turned on, the mirrors should not unfold when you're backing out of the garage. Tesla has acknowledged the defect in my service reports. (Well, only after a year of claiming "it's supposed to work that way.") This defect is covered under the warranty. Tesla refuses to repair it. (They have refused to repair all three software defects that I have reported.) They are failing to meet their obligation under their warranty. The current dodge from the Tesla service manager is that "it's on the list" but the software team has to work on safety-related issues first. (The conclusion of that made-up excuse is that Tesla software is so unsafe that they have no time to address warranty issues.)

If it bothers you that you have to forgo the mirror auto-fold feature so that you can back out of the garage with mirrors folded, I recommend that you report the defect to service. It should be repaired under warranty (for your 2023 Model S). I'm holding on to some shred of hope that if enough people report it, they'll repair it.

If it bothers you that you have to forgo the mirror auto-fold feature so that you can back out of the garage with mirrors folded, I recommend that you report the defect to service. It should be repaired under warranty (for your 2023 Model S). I'm holding on to some shred of hope that if enough people report it, they'll repair it.
It doesn’t bother me that it works the way it does, and it has worked that way since day 1, so I doubt it’s really a bug (despite what Service tells you). The only thing that bothers me is the fact that my mirrors no longer unfold when I leave the house, which is a new problem (for me).

the fact that my mirrors no longer unfold when I leave the house
Agreed. The manual says (and it makes sense) that the mirrors should unfold when you're driving away (safety!). Because they don't, that's a defect to be repaired by Tesla. I hope they fix this for you! (My car does not exhibit this problem.)

Still, the mirror problem I described is real and it is a real defect. When both settings are activated, the mirrors fold when I lock the car (good), and they fold as I approach my garage (good). However, when I unlock the car in the garage to leave, the mirrors unfold (bad), or only one unfolds (bad, weird), or they remain folded but then unfold when I depress the brake pedal (bad), or any other combination of bad behaviors that you can think up. So it really is a defect. Even though that is a bug, I never refer to it as a "bug." People have become used to living with bugs in various software. This is different. It's a car with a warranty that covers defects (all defects). The language I use is that these things are defects that require repair. Somehow Tesla Service can handle hardware defects (faulty door handles, failed temperature sensor) but they will leave your car in disrepair if it's their defective software.

Agreed. The manual says (and it makes sense) that the mirrors should unfold when you're driving away (safety!). Because they don't, that's a defect to be repaired by Tesla. I hope they fix this for you! (My car does not exhibit this problem.)

Still, the mirror problem I described is real and it is a real defect. When both settings are activated, the mirrors fold when I lock the car (good), and they fold as I approach my garage (good). However, when I unlock the car in the garage to leave, the mirrors unfold (bad), or only one unfolds (bad, weird), or they remain folded but then unfold when I depress the brake pedal (bad), or any other combination of bad behaviors that you can think up. So it really is a defect. Even though that is a bug, I never refer to it as a "bug." People have become used to living with bugs in various software. This is different. It's a car with a warranty that covers defects (all defects). The language I use is that these things are defects that require repair. Somehow Tesla Service can handle hardware defects (faulty door handles, failed temperature sensor) but they will leave your car in disrepair if it's their defective software.
It‘s a defect if it isn’t working as designed, but I suspect that isn’t the case here. Tesla Service has no control over how the software works, so engaging them for software issues isn’t going to help anyone. Unless this is an issue that a lot of people are complaining about, your options are limited.

It‘s a defect if it isn’t working as designed, but I suspect that isn’t the case here.
Hmmm. (It isn't working as designed.) If you suspect that it is working as designed, then that means that some Tesla software developer designed each feature to work correctly, and then intentionally designed the mirrors to randomly open and close when both features are activated. That doesn't make sense. What's really going on is that each feature was implemented (and worked), but no one tested the software when both features are activated.

You're sort of right about "Tesla Service has no control over how the software works." They can't repair the software at the service center. They should be working to get Tesla software folks to repair it. They should have control over getting the car repaired. However, instead of getting the Tesla software people to repair this software defect (and two others that I have reported), they stonewall, make excuses, and gaslight. That's to cover up that they're not meeting their obligation under the warranty.

I hope they're fixing your mirror-failure-to-deploy defect!

An update to my OP: when I leave the house, my mirrors will sometimes unfold as they should, sometimes unfold a couple of minutes later, and other times not unfold at all. It’s become more inconsistent since I first posted about it. I did get an update since then, 2023.26.9, but I don’t know if that’s when the inconsistent behavior started.

I picked up my new 2023 X on Monday. Software version 2023.32.100.1 was pre-installed. I have since paired it with my two HomeLink garage doors which are controlled by the MyQ app, but I did NOT link the car to MyQ or SmartGarage. I don't want to pay for a subscription when I don't gain any benefits. The MyQ iPhone app still works normally and I can see whether my individual doors are open or closed and even control them with the app if I have internet available. I set one door to open automatically when I get within 70 feet and fold the mirrors as well. When I leave, the mirrors do NOT unfold until I have pulled away from the house by a few hundred feet. Then they do so automatically. I have tested this several times today and it works consistently.

That said, there are a few bugs still to be worked out. When pulling into my garage, the car is telling me to stop when I am still at least 2 or 3 feet from the wall. Apparently, the front cameras don't have their distance triangulations worked out yet. Also, the Falcon doors will only open to the Low position, despite repeated tries to reset the maximum height using the manual door controls. I can raise the doors more and the button does beep when I hold it in, but it doesn't remember that height the next time the door opens. When outside, both Falcon doors open all the way.

You're sort of right about "Tesla Service has no control over how the software works." They can't repair the software at the service center. They should be working to get Tesla software folks to repair it. They should have control over getting the car repaired. However, instead of getting the Tesla software people to repair this software defect (and two others that I have reported), they stonewall, make excuses, and gaslight. That's to cover up that they're not meeting their obligation under the warranty.
Phantom Braking is real. Tesla still denies it exists. And let's not forget all the people still waiting for FSD.