TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How to Tell a P85 vs P85+ (besides the badging)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MrJue, Sep 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MrJue

MrJue Member

Hi Gents - again looking into purchasing a P85+. I previously test drove one but on the Nav Screen I could've sworn the car simply said P85 (without the "+"). Can we decipher the whether an MS is a P85 or P85+ based via the vin?

I can ask the seller again but he swears its a P85+ but then again he once told me the car was a 2014 when it was a 2013 haha

2. jevan43

jevan43 Member

It will in fact show up on the center display and the driver display.

• Like x 1
  3. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

As far as I know, there is nothing in the VIN to distinguish a P85 from a P85+. You need to look at the instrument panel when first getting into the car (before it's turned on), and/or the "about box" which is displayed by pressing the 'T' at the top of the center display. Have the seller send you a picture of that panel (which will also confirm the car's mileage, since the odometer is displayed there.)

Edit: Tesla VIN decoder is here, but forum software doesn't allow FTP links:
    ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG9130.pdf

• Like x 1
  4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

We can't decipher based on the VIN, but Tesla can tell you how that VIN was configured from the factory. I'd call them with the VIN and ask for a breakdown. Also ask the guy for the Monroney sticker or even better yet, have him login to MyTesla and you can look there.

• Helpful x 1
  5. MrJue

MrJue Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I called Tesla and they confirmed it to be a P85+. Amazing customer service, I think it would've taken hours or days to get that info from say BMW :D

Also found this thread that confirms that sometimes the screen shows P85 over P85+...

No "P85+" logo on main screen or dashboard, just "P85"

• Like x 2
  6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Besides the screen info, you can look at the rear wheels, the tires should be 265/35/21 size.

But not always, as I de-staggered my P85+ to put on 245s on the rear, but I suspect that is a rare exception. A few people might have staggered their P85s, but that also isn't very common.

• Like x 1
  7. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

If Tesla confirmed it to be P85+, the current owner can also call and request the graphics in-car to be updated.

8. Bighorn

Bighorn Former Top Supercharger

My dash and screen incorrectly showed my P85+ to be a P85 for the first 4 years, so that's not a valid disqualifier.

9. Drumheller

Drumheller Member

My P85+ shows as P85 on the screen. I bought it directly from Tesla. I did ask about updating the screen. One tech tried but was unable to. I've also destaggered the wheels. Mine was built in June 2013.

10. Bighorn

Bighorn Former Top Supercharger

I finally requested it at my last service visit and they had no trouble doing it. I know I'm not the first. Mine was a July 2013 build.

11. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

Confirming yet another early P85+ that did not have correct in-car badging. Asking the service center to fix it was all it took to get the images updated.

12. cab

cab Member

There is a tag (maybe under hood or on driver's side door frame I think) that shows the wheel/tire size. I think the P85+s show the staggered tire sizes (larger 265s in the rear) and inflation pressures.

As an aside, a lot of features were getting added as the P85+s were being introduced. I held out for one with parking sensors, but didn't care about folding mirrors.

13. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Easy - superior handling. Also check the door sticker and look for staggered 21's.