Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Tell a P85 vs P85+ (besides the badging)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Gents - again looking into purchasing a P85+. I previously test drove one but on the Nav Screen I could've sworn the car simply said P85 (without the "+"). Can we decipher the whether an MS is a P85 or P85+ based via the vin?

I can ask the seller again but he swears its a P85+ but then again he once told me the car was a 2014 when it was a 2013 haha

As far as I know, there is nothing in the VIN to distinguish a P85 from a P85+. You need to look at the instrument panel when first getting into the car (before it's turned on), and/or the "about box" which is displayed by pressing the 'T' at the top of the center display. Have the seller send you a picture of that panel (which will also confirm the car's mileage, since the odometer is displayed there.)

Edit: Tesla VIN decoder is here, but forum software doesn't allow FTP links:
ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG9130.pdf

Reactions: JohnnyG
There is a tag (maybe under hood or on driver's side door frame I think) that shows the wheel/tire size. I think the P85+s show the staggered tire sizes (larger 265s in the rear) and inflation pressures.

As an aside, a lot of features were getting added as the P85+s were being introduced. I held out for one with parking sensors, but didn't care about folding mirrors.