Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to time selling your car before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m currently researching and plan to buy a Y later this year. My biggest anxiety is how do I sell my car, get the check and apply it towards the final payment before I take the delivery, without having to be car-less in between (or as short a time as possible)? I will most likely sell to carvana who quoted me 15k but I dont know how long of a window do I have once Tesla confirms my delivery day? Can I tell them I need 5-7 days to sell my car before I take delivery? Or can I just say I’m travelling and won’t be back until... (whatever date I can complete my car sale by?) Would love to hear your experiences in a similar situation. Thanks!

In my experience to date, the SCA will be able to work with you on when to move forward or hold the car. I had originally placed an order back at the end of Dec, but I didn't get a good deal on my Q5 and hence had to place mine on hold. I still had time until July. Fast forward to April, I did get a decent offer from Carvana but the delivery window for current Y orders is at 4-8 weeks. So now I'm in the same dilemma: to get the amount from Carvana, I would have to get rid of my ride by this week's end. And then be potentially down to 1 car (the wife's) for the next month or two.

my advice: I would time it to around the second or beginning of the third month of any quarter; that way you don't run into the QC issues and they usually have a week's delivery time or in some cases depending on your configuration ordered, even sooner!

In my experience to date, the SCA will be able to work with you on when to move forward or hold the car. I had originally placed an order back at the end of Dec, but I didn't get a good deal on my Q5 and hence had to place mine on hold. I still had time until July. Fast forward to April, I did get a decent offer from Carvana but the delivery window for current Y orders is at 4-8 weeks. So now I'm in the same dilemma: to get the amount from Carvana, I would have to get rid of my ride by this week's end. And then be potentially down to 1 car (the wife's) for the next month or two.

my advice: I would time it to around the second or beginning of the third month of any quarter; that way you don't run into the QC issues and they usually have a week's delivery time or in some cases depending on your configuration ordered, even sooner!
So once they tell you the car has arrived at the store, you can ask them to hold it for a week or two? Is there a max before they cancel your order? (Not that I would push it that long but just curious) thanks!

So once they tell you the car has arrived at the store, you can ask them to hold it for a week or two? Is there a max before they cancel your order? (Not that I would push it that long but just curious) thanks!
I've heard they will only hold for 3 days before unmatching you back into the queue (or potentially less during the last few days of a quarter). I'm not sure if there are any regional differences or not though.

Are you paying for the whole car up front? If so, take delivery of the Tesla, opt for financing, pay the portion you would outside of selling your car as your down payment. That’s like 60%? Then sell your car and once you get the check, pay off the Tesla. At most You’d pay 2.5% for one month on the remaining balance. Worst case is you sell your car and match that date to the day before a delivery date on your Tesla and it gets delayed and then you are without a car. First option is much easier and means you aren’t without a car.

just make sure you figure out taxes etc. before you sell private party. I was trying to do a private sale for my car at around $19k, tesla offered me $16k in trade-in. That trade in gave me a $2400 tax break on the total price, which brought the value of the car at about $18400. So decided to go with trade in rather than deal with people and loans, banks etc.

Sending in a car blindly to some online place is kind of iffy cause they might degrade value and give you less in my opinion.

just make sure you figure out taxes etc. before you sell private party. I was trying to do a private sale for my car at around $19k, tesla offered me $16k in trade-in. That trade in gave me a $2400 tax break on the total price, which brought the value of the car at about $18400. So decided to go with trade in rather than deal with people and loans, banks etc.

Sending in a car blindly to some online place is kind of iffy cause they might degrade value and give you less in my opinion.
This is only valid in some states. In CA you pay taxes for full value instead of just the difference in the two values (new car minus trade in).