Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to use voice command when callee has multiple phones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious - is there a way to target a person's specific phone with voice commands?

In my last 4 cars you'd do it by saying "call bob dylan mobile", for example. Or "call parents home".

I can't figure out the trick to do that in my Model 3. When I try it, it brings up a box with the person's name, I then have to click on their name, then scroll amongst the options until I find the one that I want. Kind of a pain.

I'm guessing I'm probably doing it wrong...?

Reactions: DJ Palmis
I don't have any multiple phone numbers under a single name in my phone. I'd guess that you'd have to define (store) each number separately like "Bob Marley Home", "Bob Marley Work" and "Bob Marley Mobile". Or is that how you have them stored now and voice dialing doesn't work like you expect?

I don't have any multiple phone numbers under a single name in my phone. I'd guess that you'd have to define (store) each number separately like "Bob Marley Home", "Bob Marley Work" and "Bob Marley Mobile". Or is that how you have them stored now and voice dialing doesn't work like you expect?

Your contacts list allows you to store multiple numbers for each person.

Normally, to voice dial you just say the name then which of their numbers you want - it's pretty standard stuff. Worked fine on 2 BMWs and 2 Porsches going all the way back to 2008 which is why I would be surprised if Tesla didn't support it...

Yes I realize that most, if not all, modern phone books allow you to store multiple numbers under a single name. Have you tried a test case where you have three separate entries for the same person but with different "locations" appended to the name as I mentioned in my previous post? This could be a workaround to your problem. I know that it may not conform to your previous experience with other cars but it could solve the issue.

It works around the issue.

SOLVING the issue would require Tesla to actually improve their phone code to understand multiple location entries in a single phonebook listing like everyone else has for years... (and maybe fix the recurring issue many have replying to certain text messages while they're at it)

Ah, so my hunch was right in that this isn’t currently supported by Tesla?

It’s such a basic thing that’s been standard for everyone else for years. Wish they’d work on implementing basic stuff like this that’s missing rather than more ways to make fart sounds.

It’s such a basic thing that’s been standard for everyone else for years. Wish they’d work on implementing basic stuff like this that’s missing rather than more ways to make fart sounds.

I mean- same is true for waypoints in the nav.

Garmin has had that for like 20 years in GPS. Tesla, not so much.

What's odd is, the car KNOWS there's multiple entries- because when I say "Call X" and X has home and mobile, I get a prompt on screen to pick one by tapping it. Allowing voice selection ought to be very simple to add.

Reactions: skygraff

If I remember right, you also come from BMW land like I (and many others) do. I have not found a way to do what you are asking in the model 3. The nice thing is, they may add it one day and we wont have to try to either connect to the car and try to understand german to change some back end option or other via coding, or try to get a new iDrive unit to get it to work if they finally fix it.

In iDrive, like you, I say "call my wife, mobile", or "call my sister, mobile" (where my sister has like 4 phone numbers under her name, cause they still have a home line, she has a mobile number, and she has 2 phone numbers at work).

Doesnt work in any manner that I can figure out on teslas interface, so you either have to stab the screen while driving (which I really dont like to try to do), or work around it by creating another contact with just the phone number you want in it, and only that number. That work around works but is absolutely not something you would want to do for many people.

Another work around if you have an iPhone at least is to use "hey siri" voice commands to voice activate siri (even though there is no long press to activate it with the thumb wheel like on BMWs idrive), and then say out loud who you want to call in the manner you are used to.

It will still come through the cars speakers when the call connects. This is about the only usage for "hey siri" that I found even a little bit useful, but I ended up using the work around of creating a few key contacts as separate entries in my phone to work around this.

Couldn't agree more. However, with Tesla's sense of humor, it might decide "call Bob Marley" means 'Autopilot to the nearest dispensary'.

Singing' don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be alright...

Couldn't agree more. However, with Tesla's sense of humor, it might decide "call Bob Marley" means 'Autopilot to the nearest dispensary'.

Singing' don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be alright...

I can live with that as long as it doesn't go on shooting any sheriffs!

FYI - I tried to see if I could use the voice button to activate Siri as a backup plan, but it didn't work. I know I can have the iPhone listen for Siri always, but that's too creepy for me.

Tesla - full automatic self driving... but tryin' to call someone's alternate phone number? Nuh uh, that's gone too far! lol :D

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
I just split the contacts I call most often that have multiple phones.
Like I split my wife to be her first name with Mobile and her First and Last name with the landline(s).
Works great.

If a contact does have multiple it will prompt for which one you want, you just can't say "Mobile".

I just split the contacts I call most often that have multiple phones.
Like I split my wife to be her first name with Mobile and her First and Last name with the landline(s).
Works great.

If a contact does have multiple it will prompt for which one you want, you just can't say "Mobile".

That's actually a pretty decent work around - I might just do that for the few people that I call often enough for this oversight to be annoying. Thanks!

Tesla's grand experiment continues as we modify behaviors born of other tech companies' protocols so as to become integrated parts of the machines built by machines.

"To accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy"

Which world? Are we consumers, producers, or the product? Oh, let's face it, the Matrix concept of using humans as batteries was completely unsustainable but Tesla's got something much more efficient and sustainable planned.

;)