Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to view supercharger site's info on nav screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks. On the nav screen, when I touch one of the supercharger sites on the right-side of the map, the pop up window with that site's info is half hidden by the main list of nearby chargers (see attached pic). How do you get that pop-up window to the front? Only maybe 1 in 7 of the chargers I pressed would appear far enough to the right that I could see the entire pop up window. I can't seem to drag the pop-up to a new location. If I press the X button the Nearby Chargers list, both windows close. Pressing the arrow button on the pop-up tells the car to navigate to that site and starts preconditioning the battery. Same thing happens if I press one of the sites in the list of Nearby Charger on the left side of the screen.

So, when on the road and you're trying to find out the info on the upcoming sites, how do you do it?

End of next week we're going on our 1st road trip (1,200 miles each way) and it will be our first experience supercharging. We'd prefer to do shorter, more frequent stops than what the Tesla nav recommends, so we'd like to be able to see the upcoming charger sites' info.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• tesla supercharger nav - Copy.jpg
    tesla supercharger nav - Copy.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 1,666
Someone said this is fixed in 2022.12 OS release.

I searched for this topic before I posted and didn't see any messages. Now that I posted above, it shows me another message where someone had the exact same problem. So sorry about posting something that had already been discussed.

Double tap on the card and it will minimize it. Double tap again and it will go full size in the middle.

Saw this on Reddit last week. Just finished the outbound leg of our first road trip and had to use this several times.

practice this before you leave. Took me a couple tri to get it right.

• Helpful
Reactions: mociaf9
While it may be useful to look at all Superchargers in a given area, chances are not many of them will be on your route. There may only be two or three real options at any given point.

My best practice is to bring up abetterrouteplanner.com in the car's browser and switch to detailed mode. It gives you some excellent information all nicely packaged on the left side of the display (the navigation map is okay I suppose, but I don't really pay attention to that)
ABRP_lite.PNG

You get the equivalent of the Tesla trip energy graph on the top (with predicted vs. actual consumption), and most importantly you get the upcoming Supercharger info graphically displayed with relevant info such as arrival/departure time, length of charge, start/finish SOC, etc. You don't have to go hunting around the map for this info--it's all right there. I wouldn't put much stock in the cost estimate (that's just an estimate, but it's not horrible either).

This is not quite what you were asking for, because you might want to evaluate different options. So first, ABRP does let you set your preference for frequency of charging stops:
1649767541684.png

and when en route, you can use the Alternatives function to see what other options are available (for example, if you want to charge sooner, or later, than the current suggestion):
1649767878878.png

1649767955255.png

One important tip though: if you do use ABRP, be sure to use the car's built-in nav to navigate to Superchargers in parallel. This will ensure that your battery is pre-conditioned when you arrive. If you just "Share" the destination from ABRP to your car, it only navigates to the address of the Supercharger and the car will not recognize that it is going to a Supercharger to charge, and therefore will not pre-condition the battery. Plus, by doing this, you will have the turn-by-turn display available on the vehicle information panel (since the map will be covered up by ABRP). And if you do need to switch to the car's map view (it's much better IMO), you can quickly take down the browser and see the car's map.

While it may be useful to look at all Superchargers in a given area, chances are not many of them will be on your route. There may only be two or three real options at any given point.

My best practice is to bring up abetterrouteplanner.com in the car's browser and switch to detailed mode. It gives you some excellent information all nicely packaged on the left side of the display (the navigation map is okay I suppose, but I don't really pay attention to that)
View attachment 792712
You get the equivalent of the Tesla trip energy graph on the top (with predicted vs. actual consumption), and most importantly you get the upcoming Supercharger info graphically displayed with relevant info such as arrival/departure time, length of charge, start/finish SOC, etc. You don't have to go hunting around the map for this info--it's all right there. I wouldn't put much stock in the cost estimate (that's just an estimate, but it's not horrible either).

This is not quite what you were asking for, because you might want to evaluate different options. So first, ABRP does let you set your preference for frequency of charging stops:
View attachment 792713
and when en route, you can use the Alternatives function to see what other options are available (for example, if you want to charge sooner, or later, than the current suggestion):
View attachment 792716

View attachment 792717

One important tip though: if you do use ABRP, be sure to use the car's built-in nav to navigate to Superchargers in parallel. This will ensure that your battery is pre-conditioned when you arrive. If you just "Share" the destination from ABRP to your car, it only navigates to the address of the Supercharger and the car will not recognize that it is going to a Supercharger to charge, and therefore will not pre-condition the battery. Plus, by doing this, you will have the turn-by-turn display available on the vehicle information panel (since the map will be covered up by ABRP). And if you do need to switch to the car's map view (it's much better IMO), you can quickly take down the browser and see the car's map.

I (used to) love ABRP, but I cannot get it to run on my 2018 X. Super sluggish, crashes. I use it on my phone, then input the stop into the car. I set the next stop while waiting at the Supercharger.

I (used to) love ABRP, but I cannot get it to run on my 2018 X. Super sluggish, crashes. I use it on my phone, then input the stop into the car. I set the next stop while waiting at the Supercharger.
Yeah I've noticed that it does crash the browser after about 30 minutes of use, and then subsequently the times keep getting shorter. I suspect some kind of memory leak. Not sure if it's on the app or the browser side, but it is annoying. Hoping a future update fixes it. Yes, good to have on the phone as well if that happens.

View attachment 792712

View attachment 792713
View attachment 792716

View attachment 792717

Thanks for the ABRP info. I just tried it for the route down I95 I'll be taking from NY to FL and with the 'quickest arrival" option it does point you to more 250kw chargers than the Tesla nav. I think I'll prefer its recommendation of charging more often, for very short times.

I really like the option of setting "pct of charge at supercharger arrival". Next week is our 1st road trip in the new car, and my wife wants to play it very cautious, so I like that we can set the arrival state of charge to 15%, so we have that extra buffer in case we get traffic, weather etc.

I really like the option of setting "pct of charge at supercharger arrival". Next week is our 1st road trip in the new car, and my wife wants to play it very cautious, so I like that we can set the arrival state of charge to 15%, so we have that extra buffer in case we get traffic, weather etc.
Yes, always a good idea until you get comfortable with it.

Of course that may happen after your first leg when you realize that yes, this thing really IS accurate at predicting arrival SOC!

I have no qualms about setting it to 10% on the road, and 5% for at home. I then just monitor the energy display to make sure that I'm not falling below the prediction (usually I'm doing better than predicted). If it does look like I'm not doing well versus prediction (this did happen to me during some winter travel last year), then I'll adjust my plan to stop at an earlier station. But since the tool calibrates to your car and driving style (if you give it a token to access your car), it will generally improve its recommendation automatically.