Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading old version 2 superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a lot of info on upcoming new Superchargers, and that's where a lot of action needs to happen. But here in AZ we have a lot of older version 2 Superchargers that in some cases (Wickenburg!) have become real bottlenecks with few, shared stations at locations one needs to do a deep charge. I've read that those older stations can't be used by non-Tesla vehicles, which certainly won't help those vehicles do any road trips around the state. Is there any information out there on Tesla's plans to upgrade older stations? Are upgrades being held up waiting for NEVI government funds?

Is there any information out there on Tesla's plans to upgrade older stations?

From what I noticed (I just try remembering about older threads content) there is no typical upgrade rule:

- Sometime, a newer updated (V3) Supercharger location is build near, or next to, an older (V2) Supercharger location
and the older station is still kept working, (or the older station is decommissioned).

Example: Harris Ranch, Coalinga, CA (18 Superchargers, up to 150kW) and (80 Superchargers, up to 250kW)​

- Sometime a new Supercharger is still built using older V2 technology (may be because of capacity issue)

Example: Olema, CA (6 Superchargers, up to 150kW) - Live Aug 16, 2023​

- Sometime an older (V2) Supercharger get updated to (V3) with Magic Box

Example: Forks, WA (8 Superchargers, up to 250kW) open to Tesla vehicles and Non-Tesla vehicles.​

• Informative
Reactions: beatle and KerryOH
Upvote 0
Given how many people I still see using the 150 kW units I often wonder if the general public even knows the difference. We try to avoid the 150 kW ones since you often run into power sharing and won't see anything close to 150 kW.

I wouldn't mind the 150 kW ones if they weren't shared power like the newer 250 kW units.

Upvote 0
It makes more sense to build an additional site near by or on the same route. Upgrading would only increase the charge speed by a little and only in the first 5 to 10 min of the charge process. Then it's a wash. I'd rather have twice the number of stalls in any given area even when half of them are a little slower. I often am not in a rush so if I have the choice I use a V2.

Upvote 0
Given how many people I still see using the 150 kW units I often wonder if the general public even knows the difference.
Most people probably don't, especially as Teslas go mainstream.

We try to avoid the 150 kW ones since you often run into power sharing and won't see anything close to 150 kW.

I wouldn't mind the 150 kW ones if they weren't shared power like the newer 250 kW units.
It's great if you have a choice...

There are two superchargers in Macon, one is an older V2 station... and it's the one that's on our way to Atlanta. I could detour to the faster charger but it would cost us more time overall. Stops before or after are ~50 mi each direction, so too soon or too late, and we just suck it up. It's rarely busy though.

I could theoretically shoot for the EA CCS station at the wally world in Forsyth (I have an adapter) but that's too much effort.

Upvote 0